Marvel reboot?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Marvel reboot?

Post by intp »

I'm trying to make sense of the whole "All-New, All-Different Marvel" that is planned, after Secret Wars.

Various sources seem to give conflicting and/or confusing indications. Is this, or is this not, a reboot of the Marvel Universe? And by reboot, I mean along the lines of DC's Crisis, where the past history was wiped out then 're-written' with some of the old elements intact but many others eliminated entirely or significantly modified.

How will these changes affect the Chronology Project? As a continuity-freak, I find such potential news highly disturbing and possibly even a signal to my quitting this hobby after many decades, or, at the very least, cutting drastically back. Will the project "start over"?

Or is this not really a 'reboot' at all (which would be my personal preference) and am I just overreacting?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marvel reboot?

Post by Russ Chappell »

Well, we've heard these rumors before (Age of Apocalypse, Heroes Reborn, House of M, etc.). Let's wait and see.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

It looks, at present, very like Age of Apocalypse over again. Some stuff from Battleworld will be dropped into the MU-proper, but no major retcons and not much else changes as a direct result. Some titles - like Thor and Angela - are even resuming their stories despite the eight month gap.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

There's also the rumor that when we return, we'll be dropped into the middle of dozens of storylines, with the explanations to come later (which also smacks of AOA). But, again, we'll see.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by intp »

I am hopelessly behind in my reading even though I continue to accumulate books at an alarming rate.

So I thought I would bring up this question again, to the folks who are most likely to know the answer:

Did Secret Wars "reboot" the Marvel Universe? In the 'hard' sense, like Crisis did for DC (where basically prior continuity was partly eliminated, partly altered, and partly combined in ways that still confuse me to this day). I'm really hoping the answer is no.

I know I could just find out "on my own" eventually but if the answer is yes (which I'm really hoping it isn't), I may well hold off on buying any new books for a while!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Secret Wars did not reboot the Marvel Universe. Everything still happened, history's intact, you have nothing to worry about.

Keep in mind, it's been eight months since Secret Wars, so there are some differences which are noticeable because we're being dropped into things; a lot can happen in eight months. But Steve Rogers is still old, Jane Foster is still Thor, etc. Some alternate reality characters migrated to the Marvel Universe, like Miles Morales from the Ultimate Universe and some others, but that's more comparable to Rachel Summers migrating to Earth-616 from the Days of Future Past.

So yeah, everything's fine. :)
-Daron Jensen
intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by intp »

Great! Thanks so much for the reply. I probably shouldn't care so much, but I am a bit of a continuity freak and a reboot would have meant a radical change in how I approach this decades-old hobby.