The first meeting of Thor and Ulik

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

The first meeting of Thor and Ulik

Post by lettsmonster »

A question here for the Thor experts on the MCP.

In T 137, Thor and Sif are attacked by a group of Rock Trolls, which leads to the capture of Sif and a pursuit by Thor to rescue her from the Under-kingdom of the Trolls. On page 7, Thor is confronted by Ulik barring his way. Upon seeing the Troll, Thor exclaims, "For a lifetime have I heard thy name spoken in hushed, fearful whispers! But ever thought I 'twas merely legend...to frighten young Asgardians into slumber!" Which would seem to be their first meeting.

Currently, however, T:BO 6 is listed as the first meeting between Thor and Ulik. Yet on page 14 of T:BO 6, Thor and the Warriors Three immediately recognize Ulik and cry out his name, suggesting previous encounters.

Are there are other overriding factors that necessitate the placement of the T:BO miniseries much earlier than T 137? Perhaps the relationship between Donald Blake and Jane Foster as co-workers? Or events in Asgard? Just curious about the discussion of this. Thanks!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The first meeting of Thor and Ulik

Post by Col_Fury »

lettsmonster wrote:Perhaps the relationship between Donald Blake and Jane Foster as co-workers?
If I recall correctly, it's this.

The recent Thor Index (which covered this mini) points out this discrepancy, for what it's worth.
-Daron Jensen
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Chris McCarver »

I wrote the Blood Oath entries for the Index; it was not only trying to place this while Blake and Jane were still in in their earlier working relationship without Jane having been absent/kidnapped/otherwise damsel-in-distressed, but also having to find a spot in early Thor continuity where the Absorbing Man would be in a position to be attacking the city in the early Thor issues, since most of his early appearances ended with him being shot into space or hurled into another dimension only to be found in and rescued from that situation in his following appearance.
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com
lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by lettsmonster »

Thanks guys! Thought it was probably something like that.