Deadpool & Cable: Split Second

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Deadpool & Cable: Split Second

Post by JephYork »

Do we have any indication as to whether Deadpool & Cable: Split Second #1-3 take place before or after the Secret Wars event?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Deadpool & Cable: Split Second

Post by JephYork »

Anyone?
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

*shrugs*

I'm pretty sure it was said to take place in the 'eight month' gap post-SW, but I can't remember where just now. And even the six 'issue' "Infinite Comic" digital version was released after SW.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Technically I think it was published during the Secret Wars event -- but near the end, overlapping with the post-SW books that were just starting to come out, like Invincible Iron Man.

No clues in the story itself?
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Well, the TVA are around, and there's a[n alternate] future for them to go to. That's probably indicative of there being a multiverse out there.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Which means it probably couldn't go immediately before the incursion, as for the last month (according to my Time Runs Out calendar), there are only a couple dozen universes.

I did a skim-read and I can see no reason it isn't post-Secret Wars.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Why would the existence of a future for Dimension-616 mean that alternate dimensions also exist? A future is "straight ahead" on a metaphorical time line -- alternate presents would be other lines, running on either side of it. One doesn't really have anything to do with the other.

Was it a plot point in "Time Runs Out" that the Marvel Universe no longer had a future, as well? Did someone try to travel forward and fail?

By "clues in the story" I meant references to the event or other stories, or character status quo changes. Cable apparently gets his powers and cybernetic arm back in this story -- where did we last/next see him, and how were his powers there? Also, at the end of the story Cable says he's detecting something that he wants to check into. What's that a reference to?
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

JephYork wrote:Was it a plot point in "Time Runs Out" that the Marvel Universe no longer had a future, as well?
It was a point the whole way through. Go back and read the original explanation from Hickman's New Avengers #1. Every time one universe was destroyed, the less time all the remaining universes had, even if they survived incursions.
JephYork wrote:By "clues in the story" I meant references to the event or other stories, or character status quo changes. Cable apparently gets his powers and cybernetic arm back in this story -- where did we last/next see him, and how were his powers there? Also, at the end of the story Cable says he's detecting something that he wants to check into. What's that a reference to?
Both direct setups for his appearances in Uncanny Avengers (it tells you that on one of the recap pages! Literally the reason the mini exists is to reset Cable, bridging his status quos from his previous appearances to UA - however bass-ackwardly Nicieza went about it - hence why he's got an all-new arm design and costume at the end, despite the cause ostensibly being him merging with his past selves or whatever. It's his UA look.). Where he's hunting Stryfe in the near-future and gets distracted.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Every possible future is an alternate reality, until it becomes the actual future, which it never does, because it always gets changed, and it remains a future that never happened. Past examples: Days of Future Past, Age of Apocalypse, House of M...
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Every possible future is an alternate reality, until it becomes the actual future, which it never does, because it always gets changed, and it remains a future that never happened. Past examples: Days of Future Past, Age of Apocalypse, House of M...
Yeah, no.
Both direct setups for his appearances in Uncanny Avengers...Where he's hunting Stryfe in the near-future and gets distracted.
hence why he's got an all-new arm design and costume at the end ... It's his UA look.).
Thanks!
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

JephYork wrote:
Yeah, no.
Why? How do we know it's NOT an Alternate Future?