Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Paul Bourcier, Kevin W., Col_Fury, Arthur, JephYork, Somebody

Col_Fury
Director
Director

Marvel Knights: Spider-Man v2

Post by Col_Fury » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:41 am

I’m a bit baffled by this mini.

Madame Web warns Spider-Man that trouble’s coming, then a bomb goes off and he battles (apparently, I didn’t count) 99 villains before discovering that Kingpin (and his son Richard) were behind the whole thing.

Richard Fisk died back in DD2 31 (from 2002). Assuming he wasn’t resurrected off-panel somewhere (and he likely wasn’t, given the current ASM Clone Conspiracy story), this should be before he dies. So, before 2002.

The Queen (from the Disassembled Spectacular Spider-Man arc) appears, so sometime after SSM2 20 (from 2004). Uh oh.

This thing can’t happen both before 2002 and after 2004.

And that’s not even mentioning the Shocker, Arcade and Scorpion redesigns, or Mysterio in the Ultimate Mysterio look, or Kraven and the Jackal appearing, or…

There’s nowhere for this mini to go, is there?
-Daron Jensen

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Marvel Knights: Spider-Man v2

Post by Jason Doty » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:59 am

I found this series to be very confusing as well, so I looked at the Marvel Database. Many of the characters are listed as illusions or in FB's.

Col_Fury
Director
Director

Re: Marvel Knights: Spider-Man v2

Post by Col_Fury » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Sure, Spider-Man was poisoned (or something) in the mini, and somehow went from a train to a plane (fell out of it into the ocean) to a submarine (boarded it already submerged) to an island (leaving the still-submerged submarine) and back to New York (all in a matter of hours). Maybe it was Mysterio's fault, messing around with his perceptions, or something.

But how can Richard Fisk be an illusion/hallucination? He arranged the whole thing on a bet with his dad.

Conversely, how can the Queen be an illusion? Spider-Man didn't even know she existed until after Richard died.

I can almost get around wrong costumes. On a stretch, I can almost say "eh, it was Kraven's kid (they don't dress the same, but they look similar, maybe chalk it up to wrong costume again, or something)."

BUT! Richard Fisk has to be real, or the mini doesn't happen. If Fisk is alive, then Spider-Man has no idea who (or even what) the Queen is. She'd been in a bunker for 70 years when Spider-Man first met her. He can't hallucinate something he has no idea exists. If Spider-Man knows about the Queen, then it can't be Richard Fisk because he's already dead. If it's Richard Fisk, then it can't be the Queen. If it's the Queen…

We're stuck in a spot, and I just don't see any way out of it.

Nice art, though!
-Daron Jensen