Skagg in JLA/Avengers 4

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Skagg in JLA/Avengers 4

Post by vanhornluke »

The Thor Index mistakenly says that Skagg's only appearance is in Journey into Mystery #104. But that's not true, since he also appears in JLA/Avengers #4. MCP is also missing this appearance.

Skagg
JIM 104
JLA/A 4
intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Skagg in JLA/Avengers 4

Post by intp »

I was looking at Hulk appearances and noticed that marvelfandom.com lists Hulk as appearing in JLA/Avengers 4, but the Chronology Project omits nearly all of the appearances of characters other than the heroes. (e.g. Batroc is not listed as appearing in that issue, although he seems to kick Batman on page 19, during the battle at Krona's base; numerous other Marvel villains also seem to appear but have no listing.) Hulk also has no entry as appearing in JLA/A 4.

I had assumed that the various adversaries that show up in that battle are also not listed for this issue for the same reason (that they are only 'avatars' or fake creations rather than the 'actual' characters); e.g. Dragon Man and many others. On page 18, Krona says that he has seized the 'universal avatars, the consciousnesses of the two realms,' which appears to mean the various adversaries that seemingly appear out of nowhere to attack the heroes.

This would include the dumb, savage, green Hulk who appears on page 26 as one of the adversaries. It would also seem to include Skagg, who appears (unnamed) on pages 32-33, as well as Surtur who appears on page 33, but has no listing for JLA/A 4.

So my question is, if Skagg is considered to have appeared in JLA/A 4, would that mean all the other adversaries (and there are many), including Hulk, would also be considered as actually appearing in that issue? Or should Skagg's entry for JLA/A 4 be removed? I would tend to think none of them 'actually' appeared, but if one does, then shouldn't all of them?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

If someone were inclined to draw up a list of missing characters from JLA/A 4 it might be a fun project to go over it and possibly add those characters into the Project.
-Daron Jensen
intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by intp »

Sorry, does that mean the various characters who appear in the battle at Krona's fortress, summoned by Krona to fight the JLA and Avengers, are considered the 'real' characters? Krona refers to them as "the consciousnesses of avatars" so I wasn't sure.

I haven't gone through all of them, but 'Hulk smash' Hulk appears in one panel as one of the foes brought to fight the heroes (the rest are villains, but busibloke seems to hate the Hulk character, for many reasons that would take too long to go into here, and which is besides the point anyway). Skagg and Surtur are but a few of them.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

intp wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:29 pm Sorry, does that mean the various characters who appear in the battle at Krona's fortress, summoned by Krona to fight the JLA and Avengers, are considered the 'real' characters? Krona refers to them as "the consciousnesses of avatars" so I wasn't sure.
Maybe? It's been a while since I've read JLA/A. It sounds like some of the characters have been included, so we either need to add the rest, or get rid of a few.
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

It looks like Skagg was added based solely on vanhornluke's OP, which appears to overlook Krona's comment. I support intp's interpretation, which also allows us to avoid contradicting the Index.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I don't have access to my files right now, but I believe it was stated, or at least implied, in the trade for the series when identifying each character that appears, that they were the characters and not duplicates of some kind. But I freely admit it's been years since I looked into this and don't recall the details at this point.