Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Nausiated
Hero
Hero

Indestructible Hulk #6-7: The Thor issue

Post by Nausiated »

Hi everyone,

I have a been a long time observer of the Chronology Project and I've finally decided to hop onto the message boards and (hopefully) help out with some of the amazing work that you are all doing.

Anyway, I was taking a look at some new-er comics and I noted that INDH #6-7 features a story where the Hulk goes back in time to Asgard at some period in the past. Reading the log on the forums about this issue, it's questioned if these stories take place in the past of Earth-616 or possibly in an alternate reality of some kind. I'm inclined to believe that it takes place in the past and not an alternate reality.

The issue with this story is that Thor meets the Hulk centuries before they "first" meet in the Modern Age. How can he not remember meeting the Hulk in the distant past? Well Thor: God of Thunder #3 gives a great loophole to explain instances where characters in the present might meet any Asgardians in the past. In that story, Thor states that even though the Asgardians are immortal, their brains have a limited capacity for memory and some memories grow dim or are completely forgotten (Hence how he forgot about his encounter with the God Butcher in that story arc) I think that is good evidence that the events in INDH happen in the past and not an alternate reality.

Which raises an interesting question: At what point in Thor's chronology do these stories take place? In INDH #6 Thor states that he had not visited Midgard in "some time".

My best guess is that these two issues take place sometime shortly after people stopped worshiping the Asgardians and they withdrew from humanity some thousands of years ago. My thought is that given that Thor's demeanor and attitude toward the humans from the future is a jovial one. I suspect these stories take place prior to Thor's opinion on humanity gets soured around 900 AD.

My thought is that it happens between the Winter Solstice story in Marvel Holiday Special 1991 and Bizarre Adventures #23. The Solstice story is the last time that Thor (and Odin) are altruistic toward humanity. In Bizarre Adventures, Thor witnesses the folly of interfering with humanity. After this all of Thor's activities in during ancient history are a lot grimmer and embittered. He sees a lot of senseless slaughter and chaos.

What does everyone else think?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Indestructible Hulk #6-7: The Thor issue

Post by Col_Fury »

Makes sense to me. :)

Welcome to the MCP, Nausiated!
-Daron Jensen