Conan?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

ChastMastr
Henchman
Henchman

Conan?

Post by ChastMastr »

I've noticed that Conan and various books he is in are referenced, but he has no entry of his own. I'm curious because I've been trying to sort out his chronology within his Marvel appearances -- for instance, there is the occasional "this story takes place between #11 and #12" or "a tale of Conan's youth," as well as how King Conan fits chronologically with CTB (mostly afterward, of course, but there are stories in CTB from different times in his career), and the other Marvel Conan miniseries, graphic novels, etc. Help? (And if this info is elsewhere since Conan is not owned by Marvel, could someone point me there? I have found chronologies of the REH novels and such, but not of the Marvel books.)
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conan!

Post by Col_Fury »

As far as I can tell, there isn't a comprehensive resource(in this vein) for the Marvel Conan books on-line, but I have to admit I haven't looked that hard. You're right though, in that there isn't a Conan chronology here... we just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The main reason for that, is that so far no one has analysed the various series'. It sounds like you've already started some of the legwork, if you had any of the books we would love to see some analyses. I know there's a few Conan fans around here, so if you weren't sure about some things I'm sure we could hammer them out here on the board.

A few years ago, I was in the same position you're in now, but with Marvel's WWII years. I couldn't find anything that resembled what I was looking for, so I finally sat down and started it myself. I'm pretty happy with the result, here and on my own site, but I really couldn't have done it without the help of everyone here at the Chronology Project. What I'm saying is, you're looking in the right place, but we'll need your help to do it.

If you need some pointers on getting started analysing issues, check out the FAQ, go through the Issue Analysis forum to see how some folks have formatted their analyses, and ask questions!

And hey, good to see you back on the boards, Chastmastr!
-Daron Jensen
SeanCurtin
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Conan?

Post by SeanCurtin »

This site has a mostly-complete chronology of the Conan comics, based on the timelines that Roy Thomas wrote for the Conan Saga reprint magazine.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

I would also suggest, if you can track it down, the Marvel Comics Index #2 from March, 1976. It reviews most of the early Conan issues published up until that time.

According to wiki it contains synopses of Conan The Barbarian #1-61 and Annual #1, Giant-Size Conan #1-5, Savage Sword of Conan #1-10 and Annual #1, Ka-Zar (1st series) #1-3, Ka-Zar (2nd series) #1-15, Kull the Conqueror #1-15, Kull and the Barbarians #1-3, Savage Tales #11 and Annual #1, Chamber of Chills #1-21, Chamber of Darkness #1-8 and Special #1, Monsters on the Prowl #9-30, Tower of Shadows #1-9 and Annual #1, Creatures on the Loose #10-37, and Worlds Unknown #1-8

I would also suggest the Official Handbook of the Conan Universe (1986).
ChastMastr
Henchman
Henchman

Post by ChastMastr »

Excellent! That link from Sean was precisely what I need! :)

Yes, it is good to be back. I cannot imagine how painful things will be for everyone coming up soon, however, as abruptly all kinds of characters' previous appearances are about to be retconned as Skrull impostors. :shock: (Will they get their own page, perhaps? That might make it easier.)

David
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

ChastMastr wrote:I cannot imagine how painful things will be for everyone coming up soon, however, as abruptly all kinds of characters' previous appearances are about to be retconned as Skrull impostors. :shock: (Will they get their own page, perhaps? That might make it easier.)
*shrugs*

It's happened before, with Wolverine/Skrullverine and Alicia/Lyja, even before you get into other retcons of the "it wasnae me" type.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I'm sort of looking forward to it.

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I'm Totally looking forward to it.
-Daron Jensen
ChastMastr
Henchman
Henchman

Post by ChastMastr »

I'm probably the only person on Earth not signing up for it... (I'll buy the crossovers by writers I like, like Fred Van Lente and Dan Slott, but I really don't want to buy the main Secret Invasion series. I've profoundly disliked every single one of Marvel's Big Crossover Events, and especially the fallout from each one, since Disassembled (House of M, Decimation, Civil War, World War Hulk, etc.), so it's not so much once bit, twice shy as five or six times bit, twice shy...)

(Which is indeed part of why I'm on a Conan back issue buying spree, along with Wolverine back issues and such. I want books I'm going to enjoy...)

David
ChastMastr
Henchman
Henchman

Post by ChastMastr »

Somebody wrote: and Alicia/Lyja
Don't forget Yera! :lol:

I wonder if Lyja and Yera are fused in the Amalgam Universe?

David
Adamant
Minion
Minion

Post by Adamant »

wolframbane wrote:I would also suggest, if you can track it down, the Marvel Comics Index #2 from March, 1976. It reviews most of the early Conan issues published up until that time.

According to wiki it contains synopses of Conan The Barbarian #1-61 and Annual #1, Giant-Size Conan #1-5, Savage Sword of Conan #1-10 and Annual #1, Ka-Zar (1st series) #1-3, Ka-Zar (2nd series) #1-15, Kull the Conqueror #1-15, Kull and the Barbarians #1-3, Savage Tales #11 and Annual #1, Chamber of Chills #1-21, Chamber of Darkness #1-8 and Special #1, Monsters on the Prowl #9-30, Tower of Shadows #1-9 and Annual #1, Creatures on the Loose #10-37, and Worlds Unknown #1-8
Wouldn't be terribly useful - Conan the Barbarian was a straight chronological series, it's the Savage Tales/Sword stories that take place at different times.

Still, yeah, Conan's story isn't really as hard to follow as it would seem at first. His journey was mostly chronicled before Marvel started doing the comic books, so just by looking at where Conan is and what he's doing in a particular story, it can be pinned down pretty easily if you're familiar with his life story already.
ChastMastr
Henchman
Henchman

Post by ChastMastr »

Well, but there are issues which take place at other times, and annuals, and Giant-Size and so on, so even in the original series there are bits. But since that kind person posted the link to the Conan chronology, that solves my problem more or less entirely. :D

David
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

Those Chronology articles in Savage Sword missed a few bs and other appearances, though. Some of these were appearances in MVL-owned titles, so I can understand somewhat why (without agreeing), but nevertheless, some of the omissions:

[ ] TOMB OF DRACULA #26 THESE NEMEDIAN CHRONICLES ARE INCOMPLETE
cover date:
title:
wrtier – Marv Wolfman artist – Gene Colan inker – Tom Palmer
comment: Cameo by Kull. Reprinted in Essential TOMB OF DRACULA #2.

[ ] ESSENTIAL TOMB OF DRACULA #2.
cover date: 2004
wrtier – Marv Wolfman artist – Gene Colan inker – Tom Palmer
comment: Reprints Tomb of Dracula #26 with a cameo by Kull..

[ ] EXCALIBUR #47 THESE NEMEDIAN CHRONICLES ARE INCOMPLETE
cover date:
title:
scripter – artist – Alan Davis
comment: Cameo by Conan.
Excalibur I#48's story was titled Kylun the Barbarian, so that would indicate that it was him having a dalliance with Saturnyne.

[ ] FANTASTIC FOUR #405
cover date: October 1995
title: “Terror is Tomorrow!”
writer – Tom Defalco artist – Paul Ryan inker – Dan Bulanadi
The FF Encyclopedia confirms it as him
Conan appears briefly in FF I#405, confirmed by letters page to #410

[ ] AVENGERS FOREVER #12
cover date: February 2000
title: “Avengers Assemble”
writer –Kurt Busiek & Roger Stern artist – Carlos Pacheco inker – Jesus Merino

http://www.conan.com/invboard/lofiversi ... t1383.html

Fear#15 has a cameo

Thor Corps#3 has a cameo

A figure resembling Groo fights a familiar looking figure in Suburban Ninja She-Devils#1. Both died due to wounds in that battle, so I will chalk that up to a lookalike.

Conan cameo in Incomplete Deaths' Head#11

Marvel Saga#1 has a cameo.

Doctor Strange III#31's letters page states that a figure seen fighting a werewolf in Doctor III#26/2 was Conan.

[A] flashback from Conan the Barbarian I#245 which shows Kull slaying Thulsa Doom, and then Varnae becoming the first vampire, was actually a retelling of a back-up from Doctor Strange volume 3#11. That issue explicitly refers to Kull by name, and also shows Conan and Red Sonja in a one-panel recap of Conan the Barbarian #43-44.
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

CTB I#128 has a fb to his youth
SSOC#74 has a fb to his youth
CTB I#184 has an encounter in his youth with a time-traveller
Few others, I'll have to think about it.
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtop ... highlight=
These two go together:
Conan The Barbarian 199
Conan The Barbarian Annual 12

These two have a flashback to Kull's last battle with Thulsa Doom and reveals the origin of the first vampire, Varnae.
Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme 11
Conan The Barbarian 245

The opening scenes in the following is a flashback that sets up the rest of the story for Conan.
Conan The Barbarian Annual 08

The rest are issues that have Kull stories but are not included on any of the chronological lists I have found.
Savage Sword Of Conan 137
Savage Sword Of Conan 186
Savage Sword Of Conan 213

Also, every list I have seen shows where the several flashbacks take place from the Graphic Novel listed below, but none show where the current story in the Graphic Novel takes place!! So, if you know where the story takes place, I really, really would like to know!!
MGN 47 Kull Vale Of Shadow

Again, any help would be appreciated. I believe this would be all of Marvel's Kull stories. If you know of any issues that may be generally unknown, please let me know.