Damage Control #3

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damage Control #3

Post by Col_Fury »

As revealed in World War Hulk Aftersmash: Damage Control #3, the Chrysler Building is SENTIENT!

Apparently, during the Hulk's attack on New York the Chrysler Building became infused with the Shadow-Stone from the Hulk's ship. Being psychokinetic, the Shadow-Stone gave the Chrysler Building life, and it can now talk, think, etc. It's sentient! It's even been given a mode of transportation so it can take a vacation once a year. :)

What I'm saying is, the Chrysler Building would now qualify for it's own listing here at the Project. At the very least:

CHRYSLER BUILDING
DAMCON4 2
DAMCON4 3

I'll have to look though WWH again to see if I can spot it there anywhere... but here's the question: Now that the Chrysler Building is sentient, should we list any appearances it has made in the past? Meaning, when we see the New York City skyline in an issue of Spider-Man(or whatever) and there's the Chrysler Building, should it be added to it's chronology even though it takes place before it gains it's sentience? At the moment I'm thinking yes, but what do YOU think?
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Damage Control #3

Post by Russ Chappell »

I would contend that if it turns out to be a temporary situation, it would seem rather silly to list its pre- and post-sentience appearances.

(Although it wouldn't surprise me to never see this referred to again.)

watching: the russians are coming! the russians are coming!
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

It wouldn't surprise me if this was never referred to again either, but it was pretty clearly stated to be a permanent situation - the building's quiet for eleven months a year to let people go about their business (so seeing it without a face & hands isn't a sign of reversion), then it gets August off to go wherever it wants [which I'm sure will make Paul B happy calendarically ;)]
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Oh, this is funny stuff.

I say, DON'T include any pre-sentience appearances -- but DO include any appearances from now on. :D

First time it gets smashed up in a battle, though, let's all pretend it "dies" and we can stop listing it... ;)

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Somebody wrote:
then it gets August off to go wherever it wants [which I'm sure will make Paul B happy calendarically ]
Not especially. Unfortunately, August just doesn't work. Now if that month were mid-May to mid-June, we'd be golden. :)
Last edited by Somebody on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted me, quote attributed to Fury, fixing
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

The Chrysler Building

Post by Somebody »

jephyork wrote:First time it gets smashed up in a battle, though, let's all pretend it "dies" and we can stop listing it... ;)
The MCP lists corpses, remember? It would still get listed :-P
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

You're evil.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

PS: Didn't Whedon claim in AstonishingXM that the Danger Room had been sentient for years? Shouldn't that get a listing backdated to at least the first O:ZT appearance of a functional Danger Room?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Right about here is where somebody brings up the Infinity Gems.

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

jephyork wrote:Oh, this is funny stuff.
I'm still laughing about it.
jephyork wrote:I say, DON'T include any pre-sentience appearances -- but DO include any appearances from now on. :D
Ah, but the Chrysler Building remembers everything since it was 'born' in 1930. So even though it only gained sentience recently, it still experienced everything up to that point. :twisted:

As for the Danger Room, well yeah, I guess that should get a listing as well.

Wait. ARE the Infinity Gems sentient?
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:Wait. ARE the Infinity Gems sentient?
It's... complicated. The seven* gems as a unit are, individually they're not. And, on top of that, this may only apply when they're in the Ultraverse anyway...

*Yes, seven. The seventh gem is the "Ego Gem".
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I didn't pay any attention to the Ultraverse stuff, no wonder I missed that.
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I'm pretty sure they were described as individually sentient in that story too. I'll have to check...

*digs out old, terrible books*

-Jeph!
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

Somebody wrote:It's... complicated. The seven* gems as a unit are, individually they're not. And, on top of that, this may only apply when they're in the Ultraverse anyway...

*Yes, seven. The seventh gem is the "Ego Gem".
According to "Ultraforce" vol. 1 #10 (July, 1995): "Many Millenia ago in your universe [the native dimension of Dane Whitman] there was a god with the power of infinity. Even with control of all that is, the god's loneliness could not be soothed. By his own hand he died. His body shattered into gems, each representing a gift he possessed. Power, Time, Reality, Space, Mind, and Soul. Any person who becomes a gem host gains the infinite power of that gem".

Which would make the gems and their energies the physical remains of a deceased deity. The seventh gem, the Ego Gem represented the psyche of the original being and got introduced in an Utraforce/Avengers crossover.

In "Avengers/Ultraforce" #1 (October, 1995), the seven gems were reunited and the deity was recreated in female form, called "Nemesis". She was the main villainess in the crossover which also included "Ultraforce/Avengers" (Fall, 1995). Then the gems regain their individuality in the "Black September Infinity" one-shot (also 1995), gain humanoid forms and depart to parts unknown.

Any particular idea if they should get a composite listing as Nemesis, seven individual entries or no entry at all?
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I seem to recall the Soul Gem talking and moving when Adam Warlock was unconscious on one or 2 occasions. Don't know about the others though.
"May the Light shine forever!"