Spider-Man in What If? 7

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

newtron
Hero
Hero

Spider-Man in What If? 7

Post by newtron »

I thought I saw this on here somewhere, but now I can't find it. In case it hasn't been posted, the main MU Spider-Man appears at the beginning of What If #7. If this has already been posted, please disregard this. :)

Placement suggestion:

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER
ASM@ 11/2
COH 2
WI? 7
ASM 172

I haven't read COH 2, so I can't really speculate how it might affect this. WI? 7, though, could go in almost any gap so I'm guessing its placement with respect to COH 2 doesn't really matter.
the spider-man project: http://spiderman.whiskeyclone.net
cweed4
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Spider-Man in What If? 7

Post by cweed4 »

Is this similar to his appearance in WI? 24 where Spidey has a short prelude before the What If story begins?

What criteria does the MCP use to distinguish which of these appearances should and should not be included? I recently read WI? 35 (Elektra had lived) and it seemed like an argument could be made to put that into DD's chronology. That issue had the Watcher(?) talking to Matt as he stood over Elektra's tombstone. Since the What If element was simply presented as a conversation it doesn't actually contradict any MU events.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

cweed4 wrote:What criteria does the MCP use to distinguish which of these appearances should and should not be included?
Is it really Spider-Man, or Daredevil? Do they actually appear?

The questions are rhetorical.

watching: batman begins
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
cweed4
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by cweed4 »

Administrator wrote:
cweed4 wrote:What criteria does the MCP use to distinguish which of these appearances should and should not be included?
Is it really Spider-Man, or Daredevil? Do they actually appear?

The questions are rhetorical.
I would have assumed all What If? stories would be excluded from character listings. But, WI? 24 did made it in for Spidey. That's the only reason I bring up my question.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I don't have the book in front me, but my assumption would be that (a) it's the real Spider-Man, as opposed to some alternate-timeline version, and that (b) he makes an actual appearance. If one of those assumptions is false, then the listing should be removed.

watching: wooster & jeeves
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
newtron
Hero
Hero

Post by newtron »

WI? 7 has a couple pages of main MU Spidey swinging around and saving a small, Spanish-speaking boy who fell out a window. There's then a one-page recap of Spidey's origins, and only after that does the "what if" scenario begin. The last page has one panel that may be the main MU Spidey, but I think it's probably supposed to be an what-if universe one.

WI? 24 starts with main MU Spidey visting the site of Gwen's death, on the anniversary of her death. After five pages of new material and flashbacks, the Watcher gets a page of dialogue and then the "what if" stuff begins.

Both should definitely be listed.
the spider-man project: http://spiderman.whiskeyclone.net