Danger room question in regards to W:FC #6.

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

templedog1972
Hero
Hero

Danger room question in regards to W:FC #6.

Post by templedog1972 »

In issue #6 of Wolverine: First Class the Danger Room is depicted as being in the basement of the X-mansion. I believe this is an error. If i remember correctly prior to the destruction of the X-Mansion in Uncanny X-Men #154 the Danger Room was always on the main floor. It was only after the mansion was rebuilt with Shi'ar technology that the Danger Room was located second sub-basement of the mansion. The Handbook to the Marvel Universe has layout of the X-Mansion in issue #12 that depicts the location of the Danger Room in the second sub-basement but Marvel Universe was published long after issue #154.

In addition in W:FC #6 Kitty brags to Siryn that the danger room gets destroyed fairly regularly, yet to my knowledge as a long-time X-Men fan Uncanny X-Men #143 was the first issue that I read in which the Danger Room sustains any serious damage.

Lastly, since W;FC #6 apparently occurs shortly after UX #148 wouldn't the Danger Room still be in some state of repair? I ask this because when last seen in UX #145 the Danger Room is still a complete mess. I do not think that enough time had elapsed following the X-Men's encounter with Dr. Doom (UX #145-147) for them to complete repairs by UX #148.
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Danger room question in regards to W:FC #6.

Post by dimadick »

templedog1972 wrote:In issue #6 of Wolverine: First Class the Danger Room is depicted as being in the basement of the X-mansion. I believe this is an error. If i remember correctly prior to the destruction of the X-Mansion in Uncanny X-Men #154 the Danger Room was always on the main floor. It was only after the mansion was rebuilt with Shi'ar technology that the Danger Room was located second sub-basement of the mansion. The Handbook to the Marvel Universe has layout of the X-Mansion in issue #12 that depicts the location of the Danger Room in the second sub-basement but Marvel Universe was published long after issue #154.

In addition in W:FC #6 Kitty brags to Siryn that the danger room gets destroyed fairly regularly, yet to my knowledge as a long-time X-Men fan Uncanny X-Men #143 was the first issue that I read in which the Danger Room sustains any serious damage.

Lastly, since W;FC #6 apparently occurs shortly after UX #148 wouldn't the Danger Room still be in some state of repair? I ask this because when last seen in UX #145 the Danger Room is still a complete mess. I do not think that enough time had elapsed following the X-Men's encounter with Dr. Doom (UX #145-147) for them to complete repairs by UX #148.
Kitty only joined the X-Mansion residents in "X-Men" vol. 1 #138 (October, 1980) so she should not be aware of damages occurring in previous storylines. In #139 (November, 1980), the Danger Room works just fine. In fact it proves too much for an out-of-shape Angel who almost gets Nightcrawler killed. Kitty confides that she is afraid of the Danger Room. There are some damage caused by the training cession depicted but not destruction. There is no use of the room in #140 (December, 1980).

In #141 (January, 1981), Kitty interrupts a training cession of her teammates. She passes her own first cession with flying colors, since Professor X has not developed weapons capable of facing her phasing powers. No use of the room in #142 (February, 1981). In #143 (March, 1981), Kitty is facing a nameless N'Garai demon within the mansion. She leads him to the Danger room, resulting in its destruction. Indeed the first serious damage to the room that she would be aware of.

In #144 (April, 1981), the X-Men have been repairing the mansion for a week and the Danger Room is still wrecked. Professor X has trouble funding the repairs and convinces Angel to offer financial support. No use and little mention of the room in #145-147 (May - July, 1981). Kitty misses out on the action in these issues because of catching the flu. #148 (August, 1981) has repairs continuing in the Mansion while Nightcrawler and Wolverine have training cessions in the nearby woods. Kitty is back on her feet and introduced to her first stalker, Caliban. In #149 (September, 1981), the X-Men are just getting to repairing the Danger Room. Kitty manages to short-circuit Professor X's computer, loosing data he had gathered on Magneto.

In #150 (October, 1981), the action takes place in an island within the Bermuda triangle. The Xavier Mansion is not depicted, neither is the Danger Room. In #151 (November, 1981), Kitty leaves the X-Mansion for the Massachusetts Academy, her parents leaving her in the care of Emma Frost. Frost meanwhile switches bodies with Storm, part of a plot by the Hellfire Club to capture the X-Men. No Danger Room. In #152 (December, 1982), the Xavier Mansion has been taken over by the Hellfire Club. The Danger Room is used as a holding cell for Wolverine who is tortured there by Black Bishop/Harry Leland and Cole. The room's special abilities are not depicted. In #153 (January, 1982), Nightcrawler acesses the damages suffered by the X-Mansion. "The Danger Room, the prime computer and one wing of the house are a total loss." He notes that the X-Men lack the tools, raw material and expertise to perform repairs. Professor X also adds that their financial resources are nearly exhausted as well. No solution foreseen to their problem.

In #154 (February, 1982), the Danger Room is still out of order. Cyclops and Storm are training in the mansion's gym, playing handball. The X-Men consider the Xavier Mansion to provite little security from their enemies and their moving to the island in the Bermuda Triangle. The Mansion is destroyed the same issue by an allien invasion, having already been vacated by all residents. The Danger Room naturally also destroyed. In #155 (March, 1982), the ruins of the Xavier Mansion are depicted. #156-157 (April - May, 1982), continue and conclude the adventures with the Shi'ar starting in #154. No time for repairs.

In #158 (June, 1982 - ) the X-Men operate out of the Bermuda Triangle. In #159 (July, 1982) they are visiting New York City as houseguests in the apartment shared by Misty Knight and Harmony Young. In #160 (August, 1982), they are back in the Bermuda Triangle and have their first adventure in Belasco's Limbo. In #161 (September, 1982), Professor X wakes from the catatonic state he was since #157. Just in time for Deathbird capturing Lilandra and the X-Men and offering them to the Brood. #162-166 (October, 1982 - February, 1983) are one long spacefaring adventure for the X-Men. Meanwhile Professor X considers them lost while the Xavier Mansion is restored by Shi'ar robot drones. The Danger Room supposedly gets restored with the other rooms, at least according to Illyana Rasputina's comments about the Mansion being exactly how she remembers it. If true, this would be the first time it is fully operational since #143. The X-Men do not return until #167 (March, 1983) where they first encounter the New Mutants.
templedog1972
Hero
Hero

Post by templedog1972 »

So my assumptions are pretty much accurate and that the depictions of the danger room in W:FC #6 are wrong?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Stick it between #149-150. Pretend the Hellfire Club trashed it again in #152.

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Jeph wrote:
Stick it between #149-150.
FWIW, that's where I have it.
Paul B.