Red Raven's chronology

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Red Raven's chronology

Post by JephYork »

What's up with Red Raven? He and (most of) his race died in Sub-Mariner 326, and then years later in Nova v3 #4-5 and 7 they just popped back up, said "our death was a hoax, ha ha ha" and popped off again. (It's worth noting that those appearances are missing in his chronology, btw!)

I don't have Raven's appearances after that, so I don't know if the "hoax" was elaborated on ... but I see that the MCP separates his chronology between two characters -- presumably an original and some kind of clone?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

-Jeph!
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Red Raven's chronology

Post by dimadick »

jephyork wrote:What's up with Red Raven? He and (most of) his race died in Sub-Mariner 326, and then years later in Nova v3 #4-5 and 7 they just popped back up, said "our death was a hoax, ha ha ha" and popped off again. (It's worth noting that those appearances are missing in his chronology, btw!)

I don't have Raven's appearances after that, so I don't know if the "hoax" was elaborated on ... but I see that the MCP separates his chronology between two characters -- presumably an original and some kind of clone?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

-Jeph!
For a detailed history of the Red Raven see: http://www.geocities.com/goldenechh/

According to "Defenders" vol. 2 #6, the real Red Raven and the bird-men were in suspended animation for decades. An android Red Raven was the one acting as a replacement and he/it was the one who encountered Angel and Namor. The android got killed in "Sub-Mariner" #26.

The third Red Raven/Dania , daughter of the original, was introduced in Marvel Super-Heroes Vol. 2 #8. She has had subsequent appearances in "Nova" vol. 3 #7 (November, 1999), "Defenders" vol. 2 #6 (August, 2001). There is a monitor image of her in "New Invaders" #2 (November, 2004) among other allies of the Thin Man but not a live appearance. I don't know why the MCP does not list her Defenders appearance.

The revival of the original Red Raven and the other Bird Men was confirmed in Defenders Vol. 2 #6. The first appearances of the revived Red Raven were in Nova vol. 3 #4-5, #7. Then come the Captain Marvel Appearances. The reason these appearances are missing from his listing is quite simple. If you note Nova's one listing you can see that all seven issues of his third series (published in 1999) have not been indexed yet.
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

On the subject of Red Ravens, there is one missing from the MCP. The Western villain from "Rawhide Kid" vol. 1 #38 (February, 1964). His debut is not indexed yet but his subsequent appearance in "West Coast Avengers" vol. 2 #18 (March, 1987) should probably get him a listing.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

So the Red Raven that put his people into suspended animation was an android, huh? And the REAL Red Raven was one of the ones IN suspended animation, huh? And they weren't REALLY dead, but in a "death-like sleep", in Sub-Mariner #26, huh? And Diablo's "animation" of their "corpses" released them from that sleep in Marvel Super-Heroes v3 #8, huh?

Innnnnn-teresting.

Thanks very much for the link!

-Jeph!