Captain America basics

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

cweed4
Big Bad
Big Bad

Captain America basics

Post by cweed4 »

As a long time Spidey fan, and former X-men fan, I never had much interset in Captain America. I always kind of saw him as the MU's Superman: a bland, idealistic hero. In other words, boring. I tried the post-9/11 restart but didn't stick with it after the second arc. Given Cap's role in Civil War and the big changes intoduced by Brubaker I gave it another try. Sice then I've read the Classic Years v1 and War & Rememberance tpb's. That got me to browsing through his chronology here and led to a few questions.

Why is the Captain America Comics series (couldn't it have been abbreviated as CAC or CAP?) only listed through issue #10 for Steve Rogers? I know his re-introduction in Avengers #4 led to retconning some of the later appearances in CAC as different individuals. But, were the missing stories from #11-48 ALL contradictory to post-FF 1 continuity? Seems that they should be canon as long as they occurred during WWII. Or, is there some specific continuity solutions from The Invaders?

Also, if anyone can recommend any other must-have Cap stories let me know. Looking more for non-Avengers stuff (already got some of that) and preferably stories collected in tpb.
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Captain America basics

Post by Somebody »

Golden Age comics tend to get full titles rather than abbreviations.

And they're not not-in because they're out-of-continuity, per se. They're not-in because of lack of availability. If you have access, analysis would be appreciated :)
SeanCurtin
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by SeanCurtin »

cweed4 wrote:Also, if anyone can recommend any other must-have Cap stories let me know. Looking more for non-Avengers stuff (already got some of that) and preferably stories collected in tpb.
My personal recommendations are Mark Gruenwald's early run (from #307 at least through #350), the first Waid/Garney run (#444-454), the DeMatteis run (#261-300, with a few fill-ins), and Jack Kirby's run as writer/artist (#193-213). Of these, the Kirby run and the first Waid/Garney run have been collected in full, the former as the three volumes of JACK KIRBY'S CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE FALCON, the latter as CAPTAIN AMERICA: OPERATION REBIRTH. There was also a TPB of the Deathlok storyline from DeMatteis' run on CAP, but that's been out of print for so long that it's probably harder to find than the issues that it reprints.
templedog1972
Hero
Hero

Post by templedog1972 »

My favorite Cap issues are #253-255, because I am a big Union Jack fan. :D