Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

LordZorn
Hero
Hero

Avengers Classics Back-ups

Post by LordZorn »

Guys:

Could someone please post a short compendium of analyses for the back-up tales in Avengers Classic??? In particular, I am interested in how AC 1/2 fits in with the rather murky sequence of flashbaccks detailing the formation/initial meetings of the Avengers. I am also interested if the Hulk made an appearance in any other back-up stories aside fron AC 1/2 and 2/2.

TIA
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Avengers Classics Back-ups

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Here are my rough notes from the second stories in AVENGERS CLASSIC. Hulk did not appear in any of them other than 1/2 and 2/2.

AVENGERS CLASSIC #1/2
One day. This story probably occurs after TTA 48 (8-13) and before A:EMH 1-FB (3:10). The Avengers hold their “second monthly meeting.” The men argue over who shall be chairman of the team and the post goes to the Wasp “for charter purposes.” In the process, Ant-Man thinks of inventing something so he’d be strong.
Thor, Iron Man, Giant-Man, Wasp, Hulk

AVENGERS #2 (1-22:3)
One day. According to OMITTA 1, this story occurs after JIM 98, between TTA 49 and 50, and TOS 47 and 48, The Avengers appear in Limbo in A 267-268 between pages. November.
Thor, Iron Man, Giant-Man, Wasp, Hulk, Rick Jones, Space Phantom, [Immortus]
AVENGERS #2 (22:4-22:5) ~ AVENGERS CLASSIC #2/2 (1-2:1)
The same day as A 2 (1-22:3). November.
Thor, Iron Man, Giant-Man, Wasp
AVENGERS #2 (22:6)
The same day as A 2 (22:4-22:5). November.
AVENGERS CLASSIC #2/2 (2:2-4)
The same day as A 2 (22:6). November.
AVENGERS CLASSIC #2/2 – FB
The same day as ACLASSIC 2/2 (2-4). November.
Hulk
AVENGERS CLASSIC #2 (5-10)
The same day as ACLASSIC 2/2-FB. November.
Hulk (as Bruce Banner)

AVENGERS CLASSIC #3/2
One day. This story must occur between IM:IA 2 (17-43) and A 3 (1-12). Iron Man and Giant-Man spar in a training session. Iron Man shows off the features of his new armor and Giant-Man shows off how he can “grow bigger than ever.” After the session, Happy chauffeurs them to Stark’s penthouse. On the way, Pym reveals his insecurities and his suspicion that Iron Man is Tony Stark. Shellhead denies being Stark. It must be November.
Iron Man, Giant-Man, Iron Man II (as Happy Hogan)

AVENGERS CLASSIC #4/2
One day. I place this shortly after A 4, in early December.
Captain America, Iron Man, Gabe Jones

AVENGERS CLASSIC #5/2
The same day as A 5 (18-23). A World War II veteran at a Louisiana vets hospital watches a televised news interview with Cap following the defeat of the Lava Men. He thinks about his encounter with Cap in 1944. Green grass and trees and stormy weather in Shreveport.
Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Lee Eddy, Mr. Maucieri

AVENGERS CLASSIC #6/2
One day. (I place this shortly after A 6.) Tired of being treated as a second-rater on the Avengers, Jan drives off to vent her frustrations. She witnesses an accident involving Lorna and Chrissy, a young couple wanted by the law. Chrissy is injured, but Lorna forces Jan to drive them away from the pursuing police. Jan shrinks and stings Lorna, then she enters Chrissy’s body and cauterizes his wound with her sting. Meanwhile, the police catch up and kill Lorna when she refuses to put her gun down. The police take Jan’s statement and she returns to Hank. Jan’s thoughts here are unreliable as canonical flashbacks, since they show Cap and Hulk on the team together. Green grass and bare trees.
Wasp (as Janet Van Dyne), Giant-Man (as Hank Pym), Lorna, Chrissy

AVENGERS CLASSIC #7/2
The same day as A 7; must be March.
Enchantress, Executioner, Baron Zemo

AVENGERS CLASSIC #9/2
One day, just before A 9 (14-21). Green trees. Must be April.
Wasp, Wonder Man, Dr. Swofford

AVENGERS CLASSIC #8/2 – FB (2:8-3:1, 5:2, 7:3, 9:1, 9:3, 9:5, 9:7)
One day? Cap trains Rick Jones to fight. (I have this as Cap's next appearance after FF 36.)
Captain America, Rick Jones

AVENGERS CLASSIC #8/2 (1-2:7)
One weekday. Rick Jones (who is still with the Teen Brigade) gets up the nerve to ask a girl named Irene “to the movies this weekend.” Warm weather and green grass and trees in the New York area.
Rick Jones, Paulie, Irene

AVENGERS CLASSIC #8/2 (3-10)
A “weekend” night following ACLASSIC 8/2 (1-2). Rick Jones and Irene go to the movies, then they go to a party thrown by a guy named Jamie. Rick gets Irene alone and as they are about to kiss, the drunk Jamie butts in and picks a fight with Rick. Using moves taught to him by Cap, Rick pummels Jamie and Irene gets upset at his unfair advantage. She chews Rick out and Rick leaves. Green grass and trees and “a little chilly” for short sleeves in the New York area.
Rick Jones, Irene, Jamie
Paul B.
LordZorn
Hero
Hero

Post by LordZorn »

Paul B:

Thanks for your prompt answer. Where does AC 1/2 happen relative to the Hulk's individual chronology??? And is A:EMH canon as a series??? I thought we had decided not.

Thanks aggain, happy 4th, and when is a new calendar segment due???
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

LordZorn wrote:And is A:EMH canon as a series??? I thought we had decided not.
EMH is in the MCP (albeit, on review, partially and somewhat partially - #2-4 are listed in Iron Man's entry, but I can't find any others offhand - I think those bits on the IM page should get square brackets for now, Russ).
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

LordZorn wrote:
[Where does AC 1/2 happen relative to the Hulk's individual chronology??? /quote]

After IRON MAN: THE IRON AGE #2 (7-13) and AVENGERS #1.5. If you count A:EMH, then A:EMH 1-FB (3:8) and A:EMH 1 (1-14) would go between AC 1/2 and A 1.5 in Hulk's chronology.

Lord Zorn wrote:
And is A:EMH canon as a series??? I thought we had decided not.
That was the ultimate decision after the series started derailing from continuity. My old notes maintain the info I recorded about the early parts of the series.

Lord Zorn wrote:
when is a new calendar segment due???
It's long overdue, and it will be months more before I can get it together. I blocked out some time this winter/spring to work on it, but another assignment got in the way and consumed all my spare time. Right now, I'm having a difficult time just keeping up with the mountain of new comics. My main obstacle is to go back and rethink the chronology of events for years 23-24. The whole Skrull Invasion has forced a major resorting, and I'll need huge chunks of time to grapple with it. :(
Paul B.