Uncanny Annual 2000 and Cable's chronology

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Uncanny Annual 2000 and Cable's chronology

Post by JephYork »

Over on the Index mailing list, it has been asserted that the MCP's placement of Uncanny Annual 2000 may be faulty.

The argument goes: Cable quit the X-Men in Cable #88. However, in the Annual, which the MCP currently has placed over a long spread of time between UXM #389-390, he's a team member, living at the mansion and everything.

These are among the few issues that I don't have immediate access to right now, so I thought I'd open the discussion over here. Is this correct? If so, where is a better place for the Annual?

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Uncanny Annual 2000 and Cable's chronology

Post by Somebody »

Just some notes for now - I don't have all the issues to hand to suggest any other placement:

He's definitely living in the Mansion at the start of UX@ 2000 - when Xavier wakes up and goes to Cerebro in the middle of the night, Cable turns up and offers to help wearing only a T-shirt and boxers. He appears again with Prof X ten days later, driving him around and suggesting they "take Amy back to the Mansion with us", and again briefly at the end, "Days later", still acting as Xavier's chauffeur (in civvies, in both instances). Cable & Xavier are the only two established characters to appear in the body of the annual.

As for C2 88... his exact words in "quitting" are:
Cable: "I'm going to have to think about my role in the X-Men. Nothing certain, but in light of all that's happened, maybe my efforts could best be directed elsewhere."

Storm: "You are one of us, Nathan. Nothing you say will ever change that fact. Take your time, sort out the facts. | Never forget, that if you need someone, there's always someone there, anxious to help."

Cable: "I know, Storm. I know."
And then he proceeds to ask Storm out on a date "when all this is past, and things settle down", to which she replies that she'd "like that very much" before flying off. And the following issue (C2 89), he arranges for Irene Merryweather to meet Beast in a hospital, and notes that she wants to meet Jean too. All in all, not the most definitive of break-offs.

I don't have X-Men: Search for Cyclops to hand (placed after UX@ 2000), but remember that Cable teams up with Jean in that series to rescue Cyclops, and I don't recall his situation at the start of that series - however, Cable still has Cyclops' visor on his costume in C2 89 - which is placed after X:SC despite Cable returning it to Cyke at the end. Cable changes his costume between C2 89 and 90 to a black-and-silver version with no visor, and that's the issue that footnotes the events of X:SC.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Uncanny Annual 2000 and Cable's chronology

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Somebody wrote:
I don't have X-Men: Search for Cyclops to hand (placed after UX@ 2000), but remember that Cable teams up with Jean in that series to rescue Cyclops, and I don't recall his situation at the start of that series
When he first appears in X:SC 1, Cable is with Blaquesmith in a safe-house in New York City. No mention specifically about his leaving the X-Men.
Paul B.