Captain America and Falcon placements

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Captain America and Falcon placements

Post by Russ Chappell »

As it stands now, we have A 88, H2 140 and IM 39 immediately after CA 143 for Captain America, and between CA 138 and 139 for Falcon and Redwing.

My copies of the the most recent Avengers Index still haven't been unpacked from my move in March. Can anyone check the Avengers Index and let us know what it says? Did we overrule the Index for one of them, but not the other?

watching: dog the bounty hunter
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Captain America and Falcon placements

Post by Somebody »

For the record, the IM 39 entry from current-Index #3 places Cap, Falcon and Redwing in that issue between A 88 and CA 139 without elaboration, nor mention of H2 140.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Hmmm...See, there's not really a break for Captain America between 138 and 139.

On the last page of 138, Cap is picked up by a mysterious man who says, "I'll have to ask you to come with me now. We can't put it off any longer."

Cap tells Falcon, "I have to leave for a while. I can't explain what it is yet. But I'll be back just as soon as I can."

Issue 139 opens with Cap and the mysterious figure, who turns out to be NYC's police commissioner. The commissioner says "I wouldn't have sent for you this suddenly--this secretly--if it weren't urgent."

This implies to me that there's no break between issues 138 and 139, large enough for Cap to appear in other adventures.

One could conceivably insert a break between panels 3 and 4 of page 5, when Cap is mulling over the commissioner's request. It would mean fudging some narrative captions over the passage of time, but...

watching: family guy

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Russ wrote:
Can anyone check the Avengers Index and let us know what it says?
Russ, the Official Marvel Index to the Avengers, vol. 2 #2 notes that Cap, Falcon, and Redwing are in A 88 between CA 138 and IM 39. This doesn't necessarily mean that the three last appear at the end of CA 138, just somewhere in CA 138. If there's no break between CA 138 and 139, then the break should be between panels of CA 138 somewhere.
Paul B.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I'm not really comfortable with that.

CA 138 begins with Falcon captured in Stone-Face's HQ. He's freed by Cap and Spider-Man, and the three of them defeat Stone-Face. Upon leaving Stone-Face's HQ on the last page, they notice the limo that is waiting for Cap. There's no place for Falcon to appear in other stories between pages of CA 138.

A break in CA 139 can be supported by the placements given in the current Marvel Index, though.

watching: monitor on the fritz

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

After checking volume 1 of the Official Marvel Index to the Avengers and my own copies of CA 138 and 139, I'm inclined to agree that the best place for A 88 and IM 39 to go is between panels 3 and 4 of page 5 of CA 139. Of course, we need to show that the Indexes can't possibly be right. Given the course of events in CA 138, the least disruptive way for the Indexes to be correct is for Cap's pickup in that car on page 20 to be for an unpublished reason, unrelated to the Commissioner's summons of Cap mentioned on page 1 of CA 139. But the editorial narrative on page 1 of CA 139 explicitly states that the pickup is because of the Commissioner's summons.

I'm prepared to say the Avengers Indexes (and the MCP) can't possibly be right, but, as luck would have it, the current Marvel Index for Iron Man is correct. The assumption may have been that Cap appears next on page 1 of CA 139 after IM 39 but his appearing next on page 5, panel 4 of CA 139 still works.

We may not necessarily have to ignore the reference to "the next morning" on page 5, panel 4 of CA 139. The first few pages of CA 139 could occur in the wee hours of an early morning. A 88 and IM 39 could occur later that day, and CA 139 picks up again the morning of the next day. Yep, that's one of those Paul B. calendar rationalizations! :wink:
Paul B.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Got another one. We currenly have Captain America appearing in Avengers 97 - 100 between CA 143 and 144. But we also have Nick Fury appearing in CA 144 between Avengers 97 and 98. Which means that CA 144 occurs before A 97 for Cap and after A 97 for Fury.

What does the Avengers Index say?

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Russ wrote:
What does the Avengers Index say?
According to the Official Marvel Index to the Avengers, vol. 2 #2:

Nick Fury appears in CA 143, then A 92-97, then CA 144*, then A 98, then CA 145.
Cap appears in CA 144 pt. 1, then A 98-100, then CA 144 pt. 2.
(*This would be part 1)

There's a gap between parts 1 and 2 of CA 144 that explains the apparent discrepancy.
Paul B.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Okay.

Well, Part 1 ends with Sharon inviting Cap to go on a vacation with her. He accepts, but says, "Just let me get a good night's sleep, first." Part 2 opens with Steve in bed, trying to sleep.

I guess that "good night's sleep" came several nights later. Thanks for the clarification!

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Russ wrote:
I guess that "good night's sleep" came several nights later.
Yup. "Sorry, honey, gotta go invade Olympus. I'll take a raincheck."
Paul B.