High Evolutionary/Sinister photo in UX #380

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

High Evolutionary/Sinister photo in UX #380

Post by JephYork »

In Uncany #380, the Beast finds a photo of Herbert Wyndham, the future High Evolutionary, in his "early days at university". He's studying with or under Dr. Essex, a disguised Mr. Sinister.

I know the MCP doesn't normally track photos like this, but -- if we WERE to chronologize this, where would it fall in the HE's chronology?

(For that matter, where would it fall in Sinister's? I have no idea when Wyndham's university days were...)

I also welcome discussion about whether or not the infamous disguised fellow that gave Wyndham the key to cracking the human genetic code in some Annual backup story was Mr. Sinister... ;)

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High Evolutionary/Sinister photo in UX #380

Post by Col_Fury »

In X-Factor Annual #3/3, a mysterious fellow with a shiny face & fancy hat gives Wyndham the key to cracking the human genetic code, this takes place in April, 1928.

In Punisher Annual #1/3, Wyndham is still a student but is kicked out for misuse of the school's resources(and for losing his temper), this takes place in 1930.

I would say this photo was taken between the two, after the X-Factor Annual and before the Punisher Annual.

And while it's never been verified anywhere else(that I know of), this photo of Mr. Sinister & Wyndham is enough for me to say that the mysterious guy in the fancy hat in X-Factor Annual #3/3 is Mr. Sinister.

As for where it might go for Mr. Sinister:

MR. SINISTER/NATHAN ESSEX/"MIKE MILBURY"
C2 '99-FB
GAM3 13
GAM3 14
GAM3 16-FB-FB
GAM3 24-FB
C2 '99-FB
C&P2 1
C&P2 2
C&P2 3
C&P2 4 (when is this?)
C2 '99-FB (this?)
X:HC 3 (this?)
X '95-FB (and this?)
WX2 14-FB (WWII)
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

jephyork wrote:I also welcome discussion about whether or not the infamous disguised fellow that gave Wyndham the key to cracking the human genetic code in some Annual backup story was Mr. Sinister...
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

C2 '99-FB is 1899-1900.
X:HC 3 is 1915. (It's a FB, by the way.)
X '95-FB is the 1930s.

If the UX #380 photo is 1928-ish, then it looks like we've narrowed it down. Cool!

(Also, I agree with your placement of the photo in terms of the HE's chronology. In the X-Factor Annual, he's not yet officially a student -- and as you say, in the Punisher Annual, he's being kicked out of school.)

Interestingly, I note that Sinister's 1891 appearances from Gambit v3 #12-16 or thereabouts are missing...

EDIT: What school did the HE attend?

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:C&P2 4 (when is this?)
The body of C&P2 is set in 1859, with the two page Sinister-centric epilogue set at Charles Darwin's state funeral in 1882 (while it's not dated more precisely in the issue itself, a quick google identifies that as the 26th of April).

Jeph, since you seemingly have the issue to hand, do you have page ranges for the C2 '99-FBs?
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

Various recent Official Handbooks have stated that Phaeder supplied the young Wyndham with the DNA code in those High Evolutionary back-ups, though the X-Men Encyclopedia by Moreels did identify the benefactor as Sinister.

Why did the Handbook writers decide on Phaeder? Simple, the late Mark Gruenwald created Phaeder, wrote those Evolutionary War back-ups, and had taken the opportunity to establish that Phaeder had aided numerous people such as the Jackal and Magneto.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/phaedr.htm
Notice how tall Phaeder stood, notice how tall the benefactor stood.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Russ Chappell wrote:3...2...1...
ZERO! :D
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

He was fairly concise that time around. :) Enda, which specific Handbooks note that Phaeder was the one?

Somebody, pp.12-13 are set in 1899, p.24 is a flashback to Sinister's 1859 transformation, and p.36 is set in 1900.

EDIT: Wow, Mr. Sinister's early chrono is all kinds of screwed up. It should look more like this:

C&P2 1
C&P2 2
C&P2 3
C&P2 4 - 1859-1882
----
GAM3 13
GAM3 14
GAM3 16-FB-FB
GAM3 24-FB - 1891
----
C2 '99-FB - 1899
C2 '99-FB - 1900
X:HC 3 - 1915
X '95-FB - 1930s
WX2 14-FB - WWII

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

jephyork wrote:EDIT: Wow, Mr. Sinister's early chrono is all kinds of screwed up.
I suspected as such when I saw stuff listed before C&P2, combined with your post, but wanted to be sure there was no C '99 or GAM3 stuff with the pre-Sinister Essex to be sure. You jumped ahead to my next point :).