Second story in X-Men Vs. Atlas

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Second story in X-Men Vs. Atlas

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Both issues of X-MEN VS. AGENTS OF ATLAS feature a second story depicting an encounter between the original X-Men (in original costumes) and Gorilla Man, Jimmy Woo, Marvel Boy, Venus, M-11, and Namora. Is this supposed to be canonical?
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Second story in X-Men Vs. Atlas

Post by Somebody »

Not as-presented. Grayson was on Uranus with no working wristbands, Namora was in a block of ice at the bottom of the ocean, Venus was in Africa, and none of them even knew Atlas existed let alone worked for them.

Either it's some sort of mindwarp (which, given that Beast recognises Gorilla Man's scent from X:FC 8 - despite the fact that Beast isn't there in the present day - would be odd. If Beast was with the X-Men, I'd be more ready to buy it), or it's just a non-canon homage story.

Preview of #2.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I didn't think that the second story jibed at all with the various histories of the Agents. Thanks for confirming that, Somebody.
Paul B.
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

Betcha it has something to do with the "Marvel Adventures" version of the Agents of Atlas, as seen in that MA Avengers special. Maybe?
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

JLH wrote:Betcha it has something to do with the "Marvel Adventures" version of the Agents of Atlas, as seen in that MA Avengers special. Maybe?
*grabs his MAdvAv v4 digest*

Well, there's no particularly direct discrepancy between the two in terms of costuming, although the MAdvAv team is explicitly shown in 1958 (and just what the "Atlas" they're "Agents of" is never described".

Ultimately, though, that would still make it "just a non-canon homage story," and the solicit makes me think there'll be SOME sort of explanation, even if that's "its a dream".
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Okay, it WAS explained, and it was indeed a mindwarp.

It takes place during X/ATLAS 2, courtesy of a weakened Xavier (Beast is really there, BTW. I didn't notice him last issue).

Oh, and X:FC 8 gets a very explicit reference :)
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Somebody wrote:
Oh, and X:FC 8 gets a very explicit reference
It sure does. :shock: Does this mean we readdress the working of First Class into established continuity?
Paul B.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

This would be about three times, the've tried to cement this into continuity, which I'm all for. The solicits refer to it as in-continuity. The New Warriors series showed them in their first-class uniforms and X-Men vs. Agents Of Atlas no.2 directly refrences a story. I know there are continuity glitches in these issues, but it seems regular issues of our favorite series are full of them as well. I'm glad the new indexes are pointing them out and hope they get to these titles too, eventually.