Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

lariz
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

UTSM '97/2 ???

Post by lariz »

Hi there!
Greetings from Mexico to all the people involved in this Project. I've been a Marvel fan for quite some time now (years actually), and since some time as well, a follower of your serious work here, keeping track of it... BUT, UTSM '97/2 appears indexed in the Chronology? You mean that cartoonish story featuring a young Matt Murdock and a drunk Dr. Strange? You've got to be kidding!! Now, assuming that story is actually a canon, how does it fit in between Doc Strange's entry for ST 110/3?
{ST 110/3}
UTSM '97/2
ST 110/3

I honestly think all entries for that story should be taken out. It's my humble opinion anyway, hoping you to keep up with the good doings so far. Thanks!
Spider-Man
Henchman
Henchman

Re: UTSM '97/2 ???

Post by Spider-Man »

Just because a story is silly doesn't mean it isn't canon, as far as I can tell. I mean, most issues of Deadpool are still canon. Exactly what is it about this story in particular that makes it seem like it shouldn't be part of continuity?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Drunk Dr. Strange always makes me smile. :)

Welcome to the MCP lariz!
-Daron Jensen
lariz
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by lariz »

Spider-Man wrote:Just because a story is silly doesn't mean it isn't canon, as far as I can tell. I mean, most issues of Deadpool are still canon. Exactly what is it about this story in particular that makes it seem like it shouldn't be part of continuity?
I absolutely agree with that. Silliness has nothing to do with considering a story canon or not. Lots of early 60's stories (like some Human Torch's in ST or Ant-Man's in TTA) are silly in my opinion, but accepted as canon. Silly isn't the term I'd use to describe this story in particular, but clever, hilarious and amusing as it must had been originally meant to be, as well as some other funny stories printed in the comic pages that we don't see listed in any chronology (take FF3 50/2 for an example), but again... assuming all those comedic situations the story portrays are canon, shouldn't it be considered at least for a relocation in Dr. Strange's entries, somewhere between ST 115/2, page 3, panels 8 and 9?

Oh, and thanks for welcoming, Mr. Fury :D

Láriz.
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

Most Fred Hembeck stories aren't canon since they tend to be parodies (otherwise Sister Voodoo would be in the MCP). But things like "Lil' Petey", though tongue in cheek, tend to count unless they're contradicted elsewhere.
lariz
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by lariz »

Contradicted elsewhere? OK, how about this...

In M/:LG 8 we see a full sorcery practitioner Dr. Strange teaming up with the 70's hero Black Fox. This story takes place years before M/:LG 11, where we see Reed Richards and Ben Grimm as college students, AT LEAST 11 years before FF#1. Now considering Peter Parker was 15 years old when became Spider-Man in Year 2, and that it took years of instruction for Stephen Strange to become a sorcerer, then Lil' Petey might hadn't been even born when Doc's drifting phase!!

Láriz.