What's the deal with Madelyne Pryor?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Re: What's the deal with Madelyne Pryor?

Post by Somebody »

JLH wrote:I have a Maddie trading card signed by Kavanagh. Highest bidder wins! :wink:
Grrr...

Seriously, does everyone else think I'm talking rubbish on this (occasionally frayed temper aside)?
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

For what it's worth, I support Somebody's theory that Maddie was replaced later.
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

On UncannyXmen.Net, the Spotlight authors of the Madelyne Pryor spotlight, Peter Luzifer and Ruth, writes on page 5 of Madelyne Pryor's biography:
About half a year later, X-Man was again accompanied by “Maddie,“ but it turned out to be an evil Jean Grey from an alternate timeline. This woman seems to have taken advantage of Madelyne’s weakened state and replaced her, only to then worm her way into Nate’s head. [X-Man #67] The exact details of the encounter between Madelyne and the evil Jean have yet to be revealed, but obviously the latter either destroyed the body Nate Grey had created for Madelyne or at least severed her consciousness’ connection to it, for when Madelyne appeared next, she was stuck on the astral plane as a “psionic ghost”.

When Apocalypse had captured the fabled Twelve, among them Cyclops and Cable, and was about to drain them of their energies to gain omnipotence, Madelyne sensed her son’s distress and granted him his last wish – to be with his parents one last time. Pulling the consciousnesses of Cyclops and Cable to the astral plane, Madelyne made this reunion happen, and offered to stay together like this forever. Yet, both her husband and her son were unwilling to enter the afterlife without at least trying to fight Apocalypse. Instead, they asked for Madelyne to help them against the seemingly unbeatable foe, but she declined, arguing that in her current state this was beyond her abilities. [Cable (2nd series) #76]
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

UncannyXmen.net is not in any way associated with Marvel,though. Its statements are not canonical. For example, it states that Cyclops's appearance in Marvel Graphic Novel 12 occurs before the end of Uncanny 175. We have it placed significantly after Uncanny 175. If you want to dispute that placement, you can't simply argue "UncannyXMen.net says it happened before the end of Uncanny 175".
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

Michael wrote:UncannyXmen.net is not in any way associated with Marvel,though. Its statements are not canonical. For example, it states that Cyclops's appearance in Marvel Graphic Novel 12 occurs before the end of Uncanny 175. We have it placed significantly after Uncanny 175. If you want to dispute that placement, you can't simply argue "UncannyXMen.net says it happened before the end of Uncanny 175".
I am fully aware that UncannyXmen.net is not associated with Marvel. And neither is the Marvel Chronology Project... [Isn't this some kind of ad-hoc argument, or something? Haven't studied Rhetorics.]

With that said, I don't really care about discussing the placement of Marvel Graphic Novel 12 here, that's a subject for another thread. Just making the point that not everyone thinks Somebody talks rubbish on this, including me. The theory that Madelyne Pryor was replaced later makes much more sense than that some evil woman from another dimension willingly made herself amnesiac with the large chance of never regaining her memories. Well, I guess we might have to wait for Marvel's word on this, unless we can't come to some kind of agreement.
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I'd say that "Marvel's word" can be found in the Handbooks.

(And the Index...) ;)

-Jeph!
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

Michael wrote:UncannyXmen.net is not in any way associated with Marvel,though. Its statements are not canonical. For example, it states that Cyclops's appearance in Marvel Graphic Novel 12 occurs before the end of Uncanny 175. We have it placed significantly after Uncanny 175. If you want to dispute that placement, you can't simply argue "UncannyXMen.net says it happened before the end of Uncanny 175".
Out of curiosity, where did you place Cyclops's appearence in Marvel Graphic Novel #12?
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Starman wrote: Out of curiosity, where did you place Cyclops's appearence in Marvel Graphic Novel #12?
I was just using that as an example. The Marvel Chronology Project placed it between Uncanny 181 and Uncanny 185- I'm not sure what the reasoning is for that placement. ( MGN 12 takes place after Dazzler 32, which takes place after Avengers 238, but before Uncanny 185, where Storm lost her powers. )My point was that UncannyX-Men.net's reasoning was flawed-it argued that MGN 12 had to take place before Scott left on his honeymoon in Uncanny 175 because Scott was there but there's no reason why Scott couldn't have stopped by for a visit between Uncanny 181 and Uncanny 185 when MGN 12 took place.