Emperor Doom

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Emperor Doom

Post by Michael »

In a previous post, I pointed out that Doom's and Namor's chronologies are inconsistent with respect to Marvel Graphic Novel 27: Emperor Doom. In Namor's chronology, Emperor Doom takes place before Avengers 263, which precedes Fantastic Four 286. But in Doom's chronology, Emperor Doom takes place after Fantastic Four 288. I did some more checking, and Namor's and Doom's chronologies aren't the only ones which are inconsistent. In the Wasp's chronology, Emperor Doom takes place before Avengers 256. But in the Hulk's chronology, Emperor Doom takes place after Alpha Flight 28, which takes place after Secret Wars II 4. Why is this a problem? Because Avengers 260 takes place between pages of Secret Wars II 3! So Emperor Doom would have to take place before Secret Wars II 3 but after Secret Wars II 4!
Some problems and thoughts on possible solutions:
The major problem is that Emperor Doom is supposed to take place after the original Secret Wars but before Namor joined the Avengers. Unfortunately, Doom was trapped in the body of a bystander between Secret Wars and FF 288, which takes place after Namor joined the Avengers. I suggested that Doom might be a Doombot in my previous post.
The Hulk appears in Emperor Doom. Since Emperor Doom is clearly after Hulk 300,this would seemingly have to take place AFTER he returned from the Crossroads in Incredible Hulk 313/ Alpha Flight 28. Then again, maybe not. In Marvel Fanfare 20-21, the Hulk is briefly brought back to Earth. Strange SAYS he'll send the Hulk back to the Crossroads but we never see him do it- maybe Doom took control of his mind before he could.
Currently, Jan's appearance in WCA2 1 and V&SW2 1 takes place between Avengers 258 and 259. If this is correct, Emperor Doom has to take place before Avengers 259, since an editor's note states that Emperor Doom takes place before WCA2 1. (Note: the editor's note is there for a reason- there's no break in the first seven issues of West Coast Avengers where Emperor Doom could be fit in and Ultron dies in WCA2 7 and stays dead until Acts of Vengeance, which is after Emperor Doom was referenced in Alpha Flight.)