Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

tlynch
Henchman
Henchman

FF @19 / FF 285

Post by tlynch »

Hi all,

Quick question. All of the chronologies for the major people involved have FF @19 occurring before issue 285 of that series, but Alicia explicitly references 285 as having already happened at the start of the annual, and if I'm not mistaken issue 286 is explicitly referenced as occurring while the FF is on their way home from the events of the annual.

Is there a reason I'm missing for the change, or is that an oversight?
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: FF @19 / FF 285

Post by Paul Bourcier »

The MCP is following the chronology for Invisible Woman given in the entry for A 250 in the Official Marvel Index to the Avengers v2 #5:
FF 284
A 259-BTS
FF@ 19

FF@ 19 occurs concurrently with A@ 14, which occurs before A 261, and the same Index lists Jarvis' next appearance after A 261 as FF 285 (actually FF 285-FB, which occurs "a month" before FF 285). (BTW, the Wasp and Hercules also appear in FF 285-FB and must be there after SECRET WARS II #5, given that their next appearance after A 261 is SWII 5.)

It seems that someone either missed or dismissed the in-story reference to FF@ 19 occurring "a few days" after FF 285. I'm inclined to think that the reference was intentionally dismissed because of the Beyonder's chronology. He appears in FF 285, and if that appearance were moved to a spot before FF@ 19, I think we'd discover that it would be too early vis-a-vis all his other Secret Wars II appearances.
Paul B.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

if I'm not mistaken issue 286 is explicitly referenced as occurring while the FF is on their way home from the events of the annual.
Not quite- it clearly takes place after the events of the Annual, and the FF are in the same spacecraft as in the Annual but there's no reason they couldn't have been returning home from another mission in space.
tlynch
Henchman
Henchman

Post by tlynch »

Michael wrote:
if I'm not mistaken issue 286 is explicitly referenced as occurring while the FF is on their way home from the events of the annual.
Not quite- it clearly takes place after the events of the Annual, and the FF are in the same spacecraft as in the Annual but there's no reason they couldn't have been returning home from another mission in space.
True enough. I hadn't reread the issue at the time, so it was from memory. I'd argue that it's implied they're on their way home, but it's certainly not guaranteed.
tlynch
Henchman
Henchman

Post by tlynch »

Paul Bourcier wrote: It seems that someone either missed or dismissed the in-story reference to FF@ 19 occurring "a few days" after FF 285. I'm inclined to think that the reference was intentionally dismissed because of the Beyonder's chronology. He appears in FF 285, and if that appearance were moved to a spot before FF@ 19, I think we'd discover that it would be too early vis-a-vis all his other Secret Wars II appearances.
Hmm. The fact that it's concurrent with the Avengers annual definitely causes problems, since A 261 occurs not long after the annual and also shortly after SWII 4. Ugh. That Beyonder, always messin' things up... *doh*

Fair enough, then!