X-MEN FANS: What's missing from the recent Index?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: X-MEN FANS: What's missing from the recent Index?

Post by metaldragon »

Jason Doty wrote:Jeph! These don't count as of right now, until an overall decision is made on the First Class series in general, but you can add X-Men: First Class Finals no.4
That should properly be: the LAST PAGE of X:FCF 4. Everything before the "ONE HOUR LATER" caption on the last page of the story is probably Jean's dream because Beast is already a member of the Avengers by that point and Havok & Lorna have rejoined the team. It is simply not possible to have the rest of the story lead up to "one hour" before they leave for Krakoa UNLESS it's Jean's dream.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Thanks for the correct Michael and Metaldragon, I was just putting it out there as something to check in the future.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

While you're correct that X:FC isn't being considered right now, thanks for the tip.

However, metaldragon, I was under the impression that Beast joined the Avengers during the lengthy gap in UX #94 -- not prior to GSX #1. GSX #1 is set fairly far back in 1974, near MTU #23, DEF #15-16 and H2 #181 -- not contemporaneous with A #137, where it was published in 1975.

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

JephYork wrote:While you're correct that X:FC isn't being considered right now, thanks for the tip.

However, metaldragon, I was under the impression that Beast joined the Avengers during the lengthy gap in UX #94 -- not prior to GSX #1. GSX #1 is set fairly far back in 1974, near MTU #23, DEF #15-16 and H2 #181 -- not contemporaneous with A #137, where it was published in 1975.

-Jeph!
Interesting! Anyway, Beast is blue and furry by that point (H2 181, etc.) which he is obviously NOT during the entire X-Men: First Class Finals four issues.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Previous Indexes tied GSX #1 to the "secret mission" alluded to in 1974's MTU #23 and DEF #15-16, which placed that issue quite a ways back from when it was published. Olshevsky then placed an ENORMOUS gap in UX #94, where the X-Men trained, to synch the X-Men series back up with contemporaneous books.

The events of X:DG unhooked GSX #1 from that "secret mission", with the revelation that Prof. X knew *instantly* that the X-men had been attacked, which made his lackadaisical appearance in DEF #15-16 hard to reconcile. But chronologically, it was easier to leave GSX #1 roughly where it was (rather than work out all new chrono placements for Mr. Fantastic's bts in GSX #1, Prof. X and Cyclops' appearances in GSFF #4 and Thor #233, etc). So there's still a lengthy-ish gap in UX #94, and I believe that it's in that gap where Beast joins the Avengers.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

While that may be so Jeph (and no, I'm not getting into X:FC, this is a one-off :), Cyclops, Jean, Angel & Xavier appear as resident X-Men in AA2 15 ("The X-Men are a team!").

[Of course, none of this would rule X:FCF out if we were allowed to consider it - Alex is apparently away, presumably with Lorna, per Scott & Jean's dialogue in FCF 1. All you really need to do is ignore the "One Hour Later", since Beast doesn't appear on the last page and we don't see that Havok & Polaris aren't on the plane.]
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Somebody wrote:While that may be so Jeph (and no, I'm not getting into X:FC, this is a one-off :), Cyclops, Jean, Angel & Xavier appear as resident X-Men in AA2 15 ("The X-Men are a team!").

[Of course, none of this would rule X:FCF out if we were allowed to consider it - Alex is apparently away, presumably with Lorna, per Scott & Jean's dialogue in FCF 1. All you really need to do is ignore the "One Hour Later", since Beast doesn't appear on the last page and we don't see that Havok & Polaris aren't on the plane.]
I did an analysis of all four issues back when they came out. It's possible the bulk of the story could fit shortly before the AA2 11-FB where Beast leaves the X-Men for his job at Brand but there are other problems besides the "one hour" caption which suggested to me that the whole story up to the last page was Jean's dream. Anyway, that last page is the important one which takes place as they're heading for Krakoa.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

There were other problems with the First Class:Finals series- Jean didn't seem to know who Xavier's "sweetie" in Scotland was (even though she had already met Moira by this point), Warren's parents were described as being alive, no one seemed to know Magneto was alive even though this was after FF 104, etc.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Michael wrote:There were other problems with the First Class:Finals series- Jean didn't seem to know who Xavier's "sweetie" in Scotland was (even though she had already met Moira by this point), Warren's parents were described as being alive, no one seemed to know Magneto was alive even though this was after FF 104, etc.
Exactly! Those last 2 are crucial. Hence my "Jean's dream" suggestion.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

While that may be so Jeph (and no, I'm not getting into X:FC, this is a one-off :) , Cyclops, Jean, Angel & Xavier appear as resident X-Men in AA2 15 ("The X-Men are a team!").
Wait -- Somebody, I'm not sure what your point is. Of course the X-Men are still a team during AA2 #15. I haven't tried to say otherwise. Does this relate to "First Class Finals" or something?

Right now I'm just trying to generate a list of other books that add to, tie into or flash back to GSX #1.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Doesn't matter - the post's out-of-context because you & metaldragon both posted (again) while I was typing. The point had already been made, in effect.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Gotcha. :)

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

At last it can be revealed! THIS is the reason I've been asking all these questions lately. From the November 2010 solicits:
UNCANNY X-MEN:
OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE 
MARVEL UNIVERSE GN-TPB
Written by VARIOUS
Get the complete history of the X-Men from their earliest appearances all the way up to the present day. This book comes packed with synopses of every issue of Uncanny X-Men—introducing you to the characters, teams, places and equipment that appeared within and providing vital information about all things X! Also includes synopses of Classic X-Men issues only available in this collection. Collecting material from OFFICIAL INDEX TO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE #1-13.
328 PGS./Rated A ...$19.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4958-3
We're going through and fixing all the mistakes and omissions! (It collects all the way through #14, by the way, not 13, so Hidden Years #1-22 and Giant-Size #3-4 will be in there as well.) And, like the blurb says, we're adding in Classic X-Men #1-110, which were originally written for the individual issues, but had to be cut for space. So there'll be a grand total of 686 issues covered in this book!

I'm spearheading this project -- and I'll try my hardest to make sure everyone who's helped out gets namechecked in the Special Thanks. (And pre-order your copy today!) ;)

I'll probably be asking a lot more questions in the coming weeks ... bear with me. Thanks, everyone!

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Jeph!,
This weeks Wolverine: Weapon X no. 16 is filled with Flasbacks featuring Nightcrawler, Wolverine at different intervals in X-Men history.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Aw crud. :-( Thanks for the heads-up -- I'll grab up a copy.

-Jeph!