X-MEN FANS: What's missing from the recent Index?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: X-MEN FANS: What's missing from the recent Index?

Post by Col_Fury »

JephYork wrote:If the other thread that I started bears fruit, the X-Men have a lengthy gap there where they're recuperating. Their bedridden status could allow Prof. X to take a (probably lengthy) meeting with two mysterious mutants in the other wing of the house.
Ooh... I like that one.
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

JephYork wrote:Maybe right before FF Annual #3? If the other thread that I started bears fruit, the X-Men have a lengthy gap there where they're recuperating. Their bedridden status could allow Prof. X to take a (probably lengthy) meeting with two mysterious mutants in the other wing of the house. Also, that gives Cable about six months, Marvel-time, to go from "just arrived in the 20th century" to "mercenary working with Bridge and others"...
Where's X:FC 8 (the issue that X/ATLAS 2 made inarguably canon) currently placed? Because the X-Men were on-break two weeks before that (when Xavier slipped away to look for what was implictly Storm's first power manifestation) - could Cable & Post have been there while the X-Men were away, and before Prof X left?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

After trolling through far, far too many archives, I found that both Paul Bourcier and wolframbane agreed that it should go between UX #21-22. No idea if there's a spot for this FB there.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Tip for archive searching: Download them all, unzip to a single folder, and then download/install Windows Grep . It's how I search through the archives when I need to.

[I would have searched for that myself, but I've not been at a computer - these posts have been made from my phone]
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Does Windows Grep work on a Mac? ;)

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Not my fault if you support Darth Jobs :-P
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

JephYork wrote:After trolling through far, far too many archives, I found that both Paul Bourcier and wolframbane agreed that it should go between UX #21-22. No idea if there's a spot for this FB there.

-Jeph!
I believe it had to get moved back during UX 14 with the bulk of the stories because it is referenced in a later First Class issue which had to take place before Scarlet Witch joined the Avengers/FF wedding.
"May the Light shine forever!"
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Can you find me specifics on that?

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

JephYork wrote:Can you find me specifics on that?

-Jeph!
In X:FC2 12 Angel mentions the aunt (Mimi) who put them in touch with their "guide" (aka Gorilla Man) in Africa [events of X:FC 8]. X:FC2 12 is the first time Warren's parents meet his "classmates" so that places it before their appearance in UX 17-18. Unless Xavier mind wiped their entire visit to the school from both their minds (besides the part where they met Magneto of course) after UX 18 (and the X-Men's minds too since they're reacting like this is the first time they meet Warren's parents), that forces X: FC 8 & X:FC2 12 into the UX 14 gap.

Also, the conclusion to the story arc where Angel leaves the team (X:FC2 12-15) takes place right after Medusa last appears as a member of the Frightful Four in FF 43 (which is shortly before the FF wedding).
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Hnnh. I'm not really digging the whole "put a buncha comics into a spot where the X-Men are injured" thing.

I wouldn't mind if UX #14 didn't make it *so* specific that the injuries were caused by the Juggernaut battle in #13, and that they *really couldn't* be using their powers to full intensity in the interim. But it does make both those points -- and we don't really have *another* Juggernaut battle floating around that we can slot just before UX #14 to mend that plot element.

So -- I'm sure this was discussed before -- but what's the feasibility of putting a big gap *in* UX #14, rather than before it? The X-Men recover and Prof. X gives them a vacation -- THEN LARGE GAP -- then, DAYS/WEEKS LATER, we see the X-Men putting on their street clothes to head into Manhattan (which was originally intended to BE that vacation, but now could just be a weekend trip to the city), and Prof. X picks up the newspaper with Trask's article.

In X:FC #8, Cyclops says the X-Men were just "on break" for two weeks. Maybe that's the "vacation" that Prof. X mentioned at the start of #14. And yes, maybe that's when Cable came to visit Prof. X, while the X-Men were away but just before Prof. X left for Africa himself.

Eh?

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Jeph, I believe you're talking about a gap between panels 1 and 2 of page 3 of UX 14 and ignoring the narrative reference to "at that moment." As you say, the "vacation" that the X-Men depart for on pages 4-5 would be another break, or it could the same, but postponed, vacation suggested by Xavier on page 3, panel 1, whichever works for other stories that have to fit into the gap. Is that right?
Paul B.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

That's about right. It's not a gap I think we should abuse too often, but it seems to be necessary to place stories like X:FC #8, which are post-Cerebro and pre-Quicksilver & Wanda as Avengers. Any objections, anyone?

Also, next question: which stories, flashbacks or retcons tie into Giant-Size X-Men #1? I have the following:

Alpha Flight #17 & 52 fbs
Classic X-Men #1
Excalibur #107 fb
Giant-Size X-Men #3
Marvel Comics Presents #101 fb
Uncanny Origins #8-9
Wolverine: Origins #28-29 fbs
What If? v2 #9 fb
X-Men: Deadly Genesis #1, 4 & 6 fbs
X-Men: Legacy #216-217 fbs
X-Men: Liberators #2 fb
X-Men: Original Sin fb
X-Men Origins: Colossus
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: the Wedding Album fb

But are there any others I've overlooked? Thanks!

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

JephYork wrote:That's about right. It's not a gap I think we should abuse too often, but it seems to be necessary to place stories like X:FC #8, which are post-Cerebro and pre-Quicksilver & Wanda as Avengers. Any objections, anyone?
Not actually an objection but, like I mentioned earlier, Marvels 2 suggests there is a week between the Trask newspaper article and the tv debate between Xavier & Trask instead of only a day.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Jeph! These don't count as of right now, until an overall decision is made on the First Class series in general, but you can add X-Men: First Class Finals no.4 and the back up in Weapon X: First Class no.2 in which Professor X tries to recruit Sabretooth before, Wolverine to your list. And I seem to remember an issue of Excalibur where Nightcrawler fights some kind of spore of Krakoa, not sure if there are any flashbacks in there or not.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Jason Doty wrote: And I seem to remember an issue of Excalibur where Nightcrawler fights some kind of spore of Krakoa, not sure if there are any flashbacks in there or not.
There aren't any new flashbacks in that issue.