X-MEN FANS: What's missing from the recent Index?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: X-MEN FANS: What's missing from the recent Index?

Post by JephYork »

[hr]Cable rescues Post from the Mandarin in China and takes him to Professor Xavier, who, unknown to Cable, has become Onslaught.[hr]
I'm pretty sure that one occurs back before UX #1 -- not during the Onslaught era. But good heads-up anyway! And thanks for the others!

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Here's the thing about the flashback in Cable 72- it continues from a flashback in C2 33 featuring Post, G.W. Bridge, Cable and the Mandarin. That flashback is listed in Post's, G.W.'s and Cable's chronologies but not in Mandarin's. My guess is that it would take place between IM 268-FB and TOS 50 (1-3:1). (This is important because the flashback COULD take place post-UX 1.)
Hotcharokey 2.0
Minion
Minion

Post by Hotcharokey 2.0 »

In Cable #72, there is a flashback in which Cable and Professor X are at a grave sight, but Post is not present. My interpretation of that scene is that Professor X faked Post's death in order to secretly turn him into Onslaught's emissary.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

But the flashback in Cable 33 takes place before New Mutants 87. Xavier wouldn't become Onslaught for quite some time.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I don't have Marvel Graphic Novel: Emperor Doom or The Enslavers. Who is in the Enslavers, Hotcharokey? Looks like I'm going shopping.
Hotcharokey 2.0
Minion
Minion

SPOILER ALERT - MARVEL GRAPHIC NOVEL: THE ENSLAVERS, 1990.

Mrrungo-Mu and the Enslavers invade the Earth and capture all of the Earth's heroes. In order to ensure his hold on the Earth, Mrrungo-Mu orders the strongest and most powerful heroes (Colossus, Doc Samson, the Hulk, Rogue, She-Hulk, the Sub-Mariner, the Thing, Thor, and Wolverine) be brought to him on board his spaceship and humbled before him. The Silver Surfer comes to the Earth's rescue, freeing the heroes and defeating the invaders. Grateful to the Silver Surfer, the X-Men (Professor Xavier, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus, and Rogue) and other heroes (Ajak, Black Bolt, the Black Knight, the Black Panther, Cannonball, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Crystal, Daredevil, Doc Samson, Dr. Strange, the Falcon, Gorgon, Hawkeye, Hercules, the Human Torch, Iceman, Ikaris, the Invisible Girl, Iron Fist, Iron Man, the Jack of Hearts, Medusa, Mr. Fantastic, Moon Knight, Powerman, Quicksilver, the Scarlet Witch, Shaman, Shalla-Bal, She Hulk, Snowbird, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Starfox, the Sub-Mariner, the Thing, Triton, the Vision, and the Wasp) gather on top of the Baxter Building to thank him.
PunyBanner
Hero
Hero

Post by PunyBanner »

Jason Doty wrote:Emma Frost 1-18 (The X-Men appear v1 39ish in one issue)
X-Men Origins: (Iceman, Cyclops, Beast, Emma Frost, Sabretooth, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Gambit)
Star Trek/X-Men (universe to universe)
Star Trek: The Next Generation/X-Men (universe to universe)
Devil's Reign Cross-Over from Top Cow (universe to universe)
Wolverine 102.5 (Wizard 1/2 type thing, during Onslaught)
First Class Series (at least one was referenced in X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas and the X-Men appeared in those costumes in a f/b in New Warriors v3)
Captain Universe/X-Men: Sleeping Giants (this was referenced in Handbook)
X-Women (European X-Men issue, this just came out though)
Numerous giveaways (Not sure how Marvel treats those)

This is just off the top of my head, I'll look through the boxes later and see.
Doesn't the explanation of Proteus' recent resurrection on Muir Island in X-Men Legacy 231-233 make Star Trek/X-Men non-canon?

Also missing Marvel 1985 mini and Wolverine: First Class (maybe).
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

PunyBanner wrote:Doesn't the explanation of Proteus' recent resurrection on Muir Island in X-Men Legacy 231-233 make Star Trek/X-Men non-canon?
Proteus' resurrection is problematic anyway - the HoM world was the MU, just altered (Hawkeye could literally see right through it to the MU beneath in the Pulse HoM issue, and there was stuff like the daughter of the guy from District/Mutopia X getting shot there and staying dead in the MU, and Bruce Banner waking up - much to his own surprise - where HoM-Banner went to bed, and with who HoM-Banner was in bed with).

And HoM Proteus not only got away before the "No More Mutants" revert, but continued appearing in Exiles & New Exiles thereafter, until he was sucked out of Morph's body and into stasis in the Panoptichron along with the rest of the New Exiles team.

Ergo, he shouldn't have been dead on MU-Earth to be resurrected...
Hotcharokey 2.0
Minion
Minion

How 'bout Ant-Man's Big Christmas #1 (2000)? Beast appears.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Somebody wrote:
PunyBanner wrote:Doesn't the explanation of Proteus' recent resurrection on Muir Island in X-Men Legacy 231-233 make Star Trek/X-Men non-canon?
Proteus' resurrection is problematic anyway - the HoM world was the MU, just altered (Hawkeye could literally see right through it to the MU beneath in the Pulse HoM issue, and there was stuff like the daughter of the guy from District/Mutopia X getting shot there and staying dead in the MU, and Bruce Banner waking up - much to his own surprise - where HoM-Banner went to bed, and with who HoM-Banner was in bed with).

And HoM Proteus not only got away before the "No More Mutants" revert, but continued appearing in Exiles & New Exiles thereafter, until he was sucked out of Morph's body and into stasis in the Panoptichron along with the rest of the New Exiles team.

If we have to explain it, my guess would be that Wanda didn't bring the real Proteus back to life, she just created a duplicate. Wanda can apparently create duplicates of living people, so there's no reason she can't create duplicates of dead people. Of course, the limits to Wanda's ability to raise the dead have never been treated consistently:
Carol: Can't we just get Wanda to bring Clint and Scott back to life?
Strange: That's impossible.
Clint: Hi, Strange. Wanda brought me back.
Strange: Um, OK, Wanda can bring back Clint but not Scott.
Clint: Why?
Strange: Shut up or I'll banish you to the Dark Dimension.
Cassie: Hey guys, let's get Wanda to bring Dad back to life.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

metaldragon wrote:Iceman Origins also has problems of completely retelling his origin between going on his date through his battle with Cyclops up to being enrolled in Xavier's.
I actually didn't think it was that bad. I just read UX #44/2-46/2 and Origins: Iceman back to back and I think much of it CAN be made to interweave together.

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Michael wrote:But some of the Origins books might not be canon- the Cyclops one, for example, has Scott being 22 at the time of UX 7, establishes that Xavier first gave Scott the ruby quartz glasses (other stories made it clear that Scott had them for weeks before he met Xavier) and has an account of how Scott and Xavier first met that is impossible to reconcile with every previous depiction of how Scott and Xavier met.
Yeah -- this one has problems. Prof. X DID give Cyclops his first visor -- but he didn't do it in a filthy alley, he gave it to him in the X-Mansion, after Scott had already met, befriended and come home with him. And the Magneto battle in UX #1 doesn't really have a window where Cyclops and Magneto could have a lengthy one-on-one chat.

Like Origins: Beast, I suspect this one's going to have to go on the non-canon pile. Shame, because the framing sequence is quite nice. (And I wonder -- the "triplets" that Prof. X detected in Pretoria ... could that have been a reference to Maggott?)

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

And while I'm at it -- Origins:Nightcrawler doesn't fit ANY version of the history I've ever seen.

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

The X-Men and Spider-Man mini?
"May the Light shine forever!"
PunyBanner
Hero
Hero

Post by PunyBanner »

Somebody wrote:

According to the Handbook, the Proteus from HoM is a completely different character, he even has his own profile.
In X-Men Legacy 232, Psylocke is explaining how Proteus was resurrected, with a flashback picture of him dispersing his being with Moira and Harness (can't recall what issue that was, maybe a New Mutants Annual which takes place before Star Trek/X-Men according to the handbook entry which came out before Legacy 232). She says he has been lying dormant ever since and was resurrected along with Destiny. No mention of him being in space. All signs point to Star Trek/X-Men not being canon.