Emma Frost and that X-Men flashback...

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Emma Frost and that X-Men flashback...

Post by Jason Doty »

Your correct Jeph!, I don't know what the author intended, I can only use clues I'm givin such as the drawing depicted by the artist of this series, which is one of the few clues in the whole series of how it relates to the "broader" Marvel Universe and your correct that I don't know where Banshee was going "home to." The first time I see Banshee going to Ireland is after he inherited his estate in X-Men v1 no.103. Though I do know he was helping the X-Men by scouting in Europe. I don't have every issue of the X-Men memorized, but the event seems new to me, personally.I wasn't attempting to be high-handed with you or anyone else here, I was just offering placement clues by what I see, but I am curious as to what battle you would attribute this to before X-Men v1 28 if you were indexing it? If you want to add this to the series to the non-canon list as an all ages since it dose'nt jive, fine. When I think of "art error" I usually think someone miscolored or drew something slightly off, but if I'm looking at something right in front of me that shows the X-Men in unforms that debuted in X-Men v1 no.39, It doesn't look like an "art error" to me. You and the board are going to decide what ever you like and thats fine by me. The truth is I would'nt even be arguing this point if the placement suggestions didn't look as if they came from the wrong era as the one depicted artisticly.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I'm not sure what battle to link it to. The X-Men had public battles with Magneto (#1, in Florida), Vanisher (#2, in Washington DC), the Brotherhood (#4 in San Marco, #5 in Grand Central Station and JIM #109 in Manhattan) and Unus (#8, in Manhattan), all before the Sentinels struck in UX #14. Plus probably a bunch more that have been inserted by later retcons.

It can't be Unus, as the Beast wasn't with them then. Given that the reporter seems to be focused on *the X-Men*, as opposed to *the X-Men and another group of people exhibiting powers*, I'm inclined to think that it's not the Brotherhood -- but I wouldn't rule them out entirely. That leaves Magneto and the Vanisher, and I'd have to look at each fight panel by panel to see which one matches more closely (does Iceman use his ice slides in either one?, etc.)

Someone wearing the wrong costume is a CLASSIC example of an art error. Check out UX #37, where Factor Three flashes back to the X-Men's previous battles with each member -- but the X-Men are wearing their red-belt costumes (wrong), and the Vanisher's wearing his green costume (wrong).

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

By the way -- a quick double-check at the end of UX #39 shows that Banshee DID return to the USA at the end of the battle! He's at the X-Mansion when the X-Men are getting their new costumes. Hrmm.

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Jason Doty wrote: Whats going to happen when the Rogue ongoing gets indexed and we have to push all her early appearances to prior to UX 64 because of the Sunfire and his Uncle f/b's.
The Rogue ongoing is problematic because Blindspot's dialogue makes it sound like Lady Deathstrike killed her father BEFORE Shiro's uncle died, which is impossible because Shiro's uncle died long before Yuriko's dad. I don't think we ever agreed how to handle those flashbacks.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

JephYork wrote:By the way -- a quick double-check at the end of UX #39 shows that Banshee DID return to the USA at the end of the battle! He's at the X-Mansion when the X-Men are getting their new costumes. Hrmm.
Another quick double-check, and the Sentinel in UX #58 confirms that he captured Banshee in "his native land". I presume that means Ireland.

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Let me see if I got this straight. In reviewing the indexes, I see that the original placement that the index came up for that scene in Emma Frost 6 was after Avengers 60 in the Errata in issue 14, which doesn't bother me "artisticly." The problem comes because of the Handbook entry from Banshee places GX -1 before the Factor Three Story. At the end of GX -1, Emma leaves with Dark Beast.

Here's my suggestion to make everyone happy and let the placements stand.

Emma's powers manifested prior to GX-1, she runs away from home at age 15, we see her at age 16 in GX-1, she has her adventure with Banshee and Dark Beast.

BTS-Maybe he did something to her to cause her to forget her emerging and him (that we haven't seen), It could be anything. I don't recall her acting like she knew him in the Dark X-Men storyarc.

Then her powers reemerge after she returns home and what ever he did wares off in Emma Frost 1-6. That allows all the placements to stand and even allows us not to ingnore the age thing of 16 and before somebody asks she died her hair twice. At the end of EF no 6, she doesn't run away as much as tell everyone she is going to make it on her own. She then heads to Boston, then to New York and the rest of the story picks up there. I don't know if you have to explain anywhere or just something happened after she ran away and returned home. Is that anygood?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Given that I wrote that particular errata entry, I'm not too bothered about trying to maintain its integrity. ;)

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Jason Doty wrote:BTS-Maybe he did something to her to cause her to forget her emerging and him (that we haven't seen), It could be anything. I don't recall her acting like she knew him in the Dark X-Men storyarc.
In X-Man 50, Emma clearly remembers her past with the Dark Beast.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

What does she remember about him? That she met him? Just forget the part I said about forgeting about him. Does that work now? I'm just suggesting "something" happened not "what" to include both Generation X no.-1 and the complete Emma Frost run as shown, without having to reorder events that have currently seen print in official Marvel indexes or Handbooks no so long ago. Writers and artists don't always jive up, we can just do the best we can in placement. I'm not trying to insert my own story in it, I was just making a suggestion that could possibly make all of us that have been debating this issue get a little something they would like to see.