Thor in Thor Annual #12

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Kevin W.
Director
Director

Thor in Thor Annual #12

Post by Kevin W. »

Using the search engine on the MCP website, it looks as if Thor doesn't appear in Thor Annual #12. But he does. I couldn't locate the placement for Thor on the Master List either. So where in Thor's extensive chronology should the events of
Thor Annual #12 go?

The only clue I have is Hoder's chronology, which lists Hoder appearing in Thor Annual #12 after Thor #301.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
Keeping track of Bendis References since 2001!
Kevin W.
Director
Director

Re: Thor in Thor Annual #12

Post by Kevin W. »

I also notice now that Odin was in Thor Annual #12, and that appearance is not in the MCP for him either (unless I'm overlooking these appearances somewhere).

After doing a bit of research on the time period when Thor Annual #12 came out, how about the following:

Thor appears in Annual #12 between Thor 340 and 341 (from 1984, the same year the annual came out). Thor #340 finishes up an adventure in Asgard. Thor #341 features Thor's return to Midgard (Earth). So maybe Annual #12 (an adventure in Asgard and Jotunheim) fits nicely in before Thor's return to Earth.

Odin, thus, also appears between Thor #340 and 341.

Also, while I'm at it, I notice that Odin's ravens (Huginn and Muninn) appear in Thor Annual #12, and they also appear in Thor #341, but these are not listed in their MCP entries.

So here we go:

Thor
T 340
T@ 12*
T 341

Odin
T 340
T@ 12*
T 341

Huginn
T 337
T@ 12*
T 341*
T 375

Muninn
T 337
T@ 12*
T 341*
T 371

*= new additions to entries
Kevin W.
Director
Director

Post by Kevin W. »

Okay, now can someone tell me where in the Watcher's MCP entry does his appearance in Thor Annual #12/2 occur?
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

The problem with placing Thor Annual 12 in between Thor 340 and 341 is that we have Hoder's appearance in Thor Annual 12 placed before his appearance in M/SH3 5. And M/SH3 5 is placed before Thor 303 in Thor's chronology. So unless Hoder's chronology is wrong, Thor Annual 12 should be placed between T 302 and T 303.
The other issue is that Odin is clearly drawn with two eyes in this story. So do we want to assume that this takes place during one of the periods when Odin has two eyes, or should we assume art error?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Michael wrote:The problem with placing Thor Annual 12 in between Thor 340 and 341 is that we have Hoder's appearance in Thor Annual 12 placed before his appearance in M/SH3 5. And M/SH3 5 is placed before Thor 303 in Thor's chronology. So unless Hoder's chronology is wrong, Thor Annual 12 should be placed between T 302 and T 303.
The other issue is that Odin is clearly drawn with two eyes in this story. So do we want to assume that this takes place during one of the periods when Odin has two eyes, or should we assume art error?
M/SH3 5 needs to be moved to later in Thor's chronology, if at all possible. Don't discount Kevin's placement because of M/SH3 5. Can we place M/SH3 5 closer to its publication date?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Kevin W.
Director
Director

Post by Kevin W. »

Michael wrote:The problem with placing Thor Annual 12 in between Thor 340 and 341 is that we have Hoder's appearance in Thor Annual 12 placed before his appearance in M/SH3 5. And M/SH3 5 is placed before Thor 303 in Thor's chronology. So unless Hoder's chronology is wrong, Thor Annual 12 should be placed between T 302 and T 303.
I believe Odin was wearing a different costume back around the time of Thor #302-303 (and he had only one eye by that point). Odin's wearing the blue armor in Thor Annual #12 that was commonplace later during the Simonson era.

So if placement of Thor Annual #12 occurs between T 302 and 303, Odin's armor is wrong and he's still missing an eye...whereas if it's between T 340 and 341, at least the armor's right (was there ever a period where Odin's wearing the blue armor that he had both eyes)? I'm fine with calling it an art error in Annual #12...
Kevin W.
Director
Director

Post by Kevin W. »

Kevin W. wrote:Okay, now can someone tell me where in the Watcher's MCP entry does his appearance in Thor Annual #12/2 occur?
Since the Watcher only appears doing his little "I am the Watcher" narrative bit, this can go pretty much anywhere, so how about placing it around the time of some of his other appearances from around 1984/85: Between Fantastic Four Annual #18 and Secret Wars II #6?

Uatu (Watcher):
FF@ 18
T@ 12/2*
SWII 6

* = new addition to entry