Buncha different "firsts" -- when did they happen?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Buncha different "firsts" -- when did they happen?

Post by JephYork »

Editing the Index entry for UX #141 now, and I have a bunch of "when did such-and-so first get revealed" questions...

This issue reveals that Magnus is Earth-811 Magneto's name; what issue confirmed that this is Earth-616 Magneto's name too? (Yes yes, I know it turned out to be an alias.)

Where is Pyro's real name revealed? Where is his nationality first stated to be Australian?

Where is Avalanche's first name revealed?

Where is Destiny's first name revealed?

Where is Rachel Summers' last name revealed? Where is she first stated to be Cyclops and Jean's daughter?

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Buncha different "firsts" -- when did they happen?

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote: This issue reveals that Magnus is Earth-811 Magneto's name; what issue confirmed that this is Earth-616 Magneto's name too? (Yes yes, I know it turned out to be an alias.)
616-Magneto used it in UX 161- I think that was the first time.
Where is Rachel Summers' last name revealed? Where is she first stated to be Cyclops and Jean's daughter?

-Jeph!
This is tricky. In UX 185, Rachel hears Scott and Maddie on the phone and says "Dad!Mom!" Later on, in UX 188, Rachel reveals that she's the daughter of Scott and Jean, not Scott and Maddie.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

What about #150? I feel like that would have been an appropriate time for "Magnus" to be said...

Also, thanks for the Rachel pointers -- do either of those issues states her last name to be Summers, or does that come later?

Hmm. Given how close this 1981 issue is to the 1983 Handbook series, I wonder if most of these folks' names were revealed in the OHOMTU?

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

JephYork wrote:Hmm. Given how close this 1981 issue is to the 1983 Handbook series, I wonder if most of these folks' names were revealed in the OHOMTU?
I'm 90% sure Pyro's was, and I think Avalanche's was too.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:What about #150? I feel like that would have been an appropriate time for "Magnus" to be said...
I just flipped through UX 150- I couldn't find it mentioned there.
JephYork wrote:Also, thanks for the Rachel pointers -- do either of those issues states her last name to be Summers, or does that come later?
UX 185 doesn't- I'm not sure about UX 188.
JephYork wrote:Hmm. Given how close this 1981 issue is to the 1983 Handbook series, I wonder if most of these folks' names were revealed in the OHOMTU?

-Jeph!
I know that Destiny was already Irene Adler in UX 170 but I'm not sure if it was revealed in the Handbooks before that.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

More firsts:

Where was it established that Wolverine trained as a samurai?

Where was it established that Colossus does not breathe in armored form?

Where is the little Nightcrawler doll that Amanda Sefton owns named "Bamf"?

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

This is just a guess with places to look.

Kitty Pryde and Wolverine miniseries.

Where was it established that Colossus does not breathe in armored form?

UX 99 he destroys his spacesuit, maybe there. I know it's confermined 100% in UX 150

Where is the little Nightcrawler doll that Amanda Sefton owns named "Bamf"?

I think Jubilee used to confort Illyana around UX 303.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:More firsts:

Well, in UX 148, Wolverine manages to hide in plain sight, and explains to Kurt that it was a ninja trick he learned in Japan.
JephYork wrote:Where was it established that Colossus does not breathe in armored form?
In UX 146, Doom's trap hinged on the fact that Colossus does not need to breathe but Peter Rasputin does. I'm not sure if this was the first time. I do remember that in UX 99 no one was sure if Colossus could survive the void of space without a space suit.
JephYork wrote:Where is the little Nightcrawler doll that Amanda Sefton owns named "Bamf"?

-Jeph
It was called "Bamf" in UX 168. I'm not sure if this was the first time.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

The ninja trick in #148 is what got me thinking about his samurai days, actually. I wanted to put a note in #148's Index entry stating that this is the first hint that he has trained as a samurai, and that it was confirmed in .... somewhere.

What about the first Wolverine limited series? Was it mentioned there?

As for Colossus, he mentions in both Spider-Woman #38 and UX #146 that he doesn't need to breathe while armored. And both books came out the same month. I was wondering if this was confirmed somewhere before.

(In UX #99, he destroys his spacesuit while transforming to steel, then immediately begins to suffocate. Dammit. Maybe it was psychosomatic?)

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:The ninja trick in #148 is what got me thinking about his samurai days, actually. I wanted to put a note in #148's Index entry stating that this is the first hint that he has trained as a samurai, and that it was confirmed in .... somewhere.

What about the first Wolverine limited series? Was it mentioned there?
This is tricky- in Wolverine 4, Mariko awards him the Honor Sword of the clan Yashida and tells him that it is be used by the samurai who best exemplifies nobility, etc. It depends on how you interpret Mariko's use of the word samurai. Did she mean that Wolverine was actually trained as a samurai or was she using samurai as a synonym for warrior?
JephYork wrote:(In UX #99, he destroys his spacesuit while transforming to steel, then immediately begins to suffocate. Dammit. Maybe it was psychosomatic?)

-Jeph!
Most likely he was panicking because he didn't realize that he didn't need to breathe while in armored form at this point.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Another one - in UX #150, Magneto first(?) mentions that his daughter was killed. Where is Anya's name first revealed?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Okay, Pyro, Avalanche and Destiny's names are all revealed in OHOTMU #2, prior to UX #170. Pyro's nationality is revealed in OHOTMU #8. Rachel's last name is first used in UX #189. Cool.

I still need to know about Anya. Her name is still unrevealed as of the OHOTMU Deluxe Edition #7, 1986 ... maybe it was revealed in Classic X-Men #12?

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:Okay, Pyro, Avalanche and Destiny's names are all revealed in OHOTMU #2, prior to UX #170. Pyro's nationality is revealed in OHOTMU #8. Rachel's last name is first used in UX #189. Cool.

I still need to know about Anya. Her name is still unrevealed as of the OHOTMU Deluxe Edition #7, 1986 ... maybe it was revealed in Classic X-Men #12?

-Jeph!
It was first mentioned in FFV.X 4- I seem to remember FFV.X 4 coming out late but I think it came out before Classic X-Men 12.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Ah! I wouldn't have even thought to look there. Thanks!

-Jeph!