Wolverine: Weapon X #16 flashbacks

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Wolverine: Weapon X #16 flashbacks

Post by JephYork »

There are four flashbacks in W:WX #16. Anyone want to help me narrow down where they go?

1 - in the Danger Roon, Wolverine yells at his new teammate Nightcrawler. Fairly easy placement, during UX #94.

2 - Wolverine drinks at Jean's grave, Nightcrawler tries to comfort him. Between UX #138-139.

3 - Wolverine, in his brown costume, storms out of the mansion to go kill someone; Nightcrawler fails to talk him out of it. No idea where this goes; somewhere between UX #140-211.

4 - Wolverine delivers aid to impoverished people (in Africa?) on Nightcrawler's behalf. Again, no idea, but likely before UX #211, as that's where Kurt is injured and falls comatose, and by the time he wakes up the X-Men have "died" in Dallas, and so on and so on. Have the X-Men ever been in Africa? Maybe to drop off/pick up Storm from something, circa #193?

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Wolverine: Weapon X #16 flashbacks

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:There are four flashbacks in W:WX #16. Anyone want to help me narrow down where they go?

4 - Wolverine delivers aid to impoverished people (in Africa?) on Nightcrawler's behalf. Again, no idea, but likely before UX #211, as that's where Kurt is injured and falls comatose, and by the time he wakes up the X-Men have "died" in Dallas, and so on and so on. Have the X-Men ever been in Africa? Maybe to drop off/pick up Storm from something, circa #193?

-Jeph!
They were in Africa delivering aid in HOPE 1.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Nice. But in this scene, they're delivering it to aid workers, not directly to needy people -- and Nightcrawler is having Wolverine do it for him, because if the workers saw him they'd panic. Can that slide somewhere into HOPE 1?

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Nightcrawler seems to be operating openly in HOPE 1 without any of the refugees getting scared. OTOH, maybe this takes place shortly after HOPE 1- maybe the events of HOPE 1 made the X-Men more interested in delivering aid to Africa.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I think a good spot for the third flashback would be just prior to Daredevil 196. I think everything would match up for that. So for Wolverine between UX 176 and DD 196 and for Nightcrawler between UX 223-FB and Moon Knight no.35. That any good?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Um -- Jason, would you mind backing that up? I mean, you've given me nothing to go on here. Literally not one scrap of reasoning to help explain your suggestion.

Michael, yeah, that could work. Maybe on their way out of Africa they dropped off their remaining supplies with an aid organization.

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

The flashback itself dosen't give much to go on. In it, It shows Logan leaving the mansion to kill someone and Nightcrawler tries to council him on his actions, but he still leaves. Since, he didn't leave by jet or anything and Nightcrawler dosen't follow, I tried to pick an adventure where Wolverine went without any other X-Men and nothing out of driving distance. This flashback could fit anywhere and the costumes are spot on for around that time.

It's just a suggestion for anwhere inbetween UX #140-211. We can rule out UX 154-166, because of the Mansion, we can rule out UX 168-173, because Wolverine is in Japan. I tried to get it away from UX 138-139, which was the previous flashback. I'll try to think up more places this can't go. Where were you thinking. I just thought it would be a nice segway into that Wolverine adventure.

Edit* I also think we can rule out Wolverine from KP & W1-UX 192 and I also think from around UX 202-UX 209, because Nightcrawler wasn't with the team around that time.

Also if you want to use Heroes for Hope as your humanitarian scene, my suggestion comes before that. That keeps all the flashbacks in order throughout the issue also. Hows that?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Yes, I was thinking of keeping this flashback chronologically before the "aid in Africa" one -- but aside from that I have no ideas or preferences.

In DD #196, does Wolverine show up angry and looking to kill someone?

Good thought on eliminating places it *can't* be. Nightcrawler returns in #204, I think, but Wolverine is attacked and badly injured in #205 -- and he's still recuperating

So it can't be:

before UX #138
between UX #155-156
between UX #168-173
between UX #184(ish)-196
after UX #202

-Jeph!
Hotcharokey 2.0
Minion
Minion

Post by Hotcharokey 2.0 »

I would suggest placing the flashback in which Wolverine, in his brown costume, storms out of the mansion to go kill someone between 148 and 149. Wolverine appears in the Best of Marvel Comics between 148 and 149. In BMC, Wolverine is in Japan because Mariko has been kidnapped and he is not happy about it. In the narration, he says that he is going to make the kidnappers pay for what they've done.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:
In DD #196, does Wolverine show up angry and looking to kill someone?
Not really- he finds out that a Japanese organization that might be connected to the people who bonded Adamantium to his skeleton is trying to kidnap Bullseye and goes to New York to investigate.
JephYork wrote:So it can't be:

before UX #138
between UX #155-156!
Don't you mean between UX 154-167? We MIGHT be able to squeeze it between pages of UX 161, if you think the mansion was rebuilt by then.
JephYork wrote:between UX #184(ish)-196

-Jeph!
Wolvie comes back to New York in UX 192.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Michael -- yeah, sorry, I'm exhausted.

HOTCHAROKEY, I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK.

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Yeah, I agree Hotcharokey suggestion is a better fit.

Also in looking at the suggestions I see the gap Michael likes in UX 161 between Xavier waking up and the party aboard Lilandra's ship. The reading of it suggests some time has passed for Xavier to recover, so maybe the mansion could have been repaired at this time which would allow for his suggestion about Marvel Team-Up no.117-118.