Chronology Guru

Marvel Fanfare 50

Post by metaldragon »

I'm curious why Marvel Fanfare 50 is placed:

XF 59
XF:PL
M/FAN 50
NM 95

in Archangel, Beast and Iceman's chronologies? (Ship's appearance is missing from his chronology.) M/FAN 50's cover date is APR 1990. The framing story shows Ship standing upright on the X-Factor building site which was from XF 51-XF 65. There is the gap between XF 51 & 52 where the Atlantis Attacks conclusion has to take place. XF 52 cover date is MAR 1990. Couldn't this story fit right before XF 52?

Beast says "Warren… there's something Bobby and I have been meaning to talk to to you about… …something a bit delicate…"
Iceman: "Things always seem to be so NUTS lately, it's like there's never a good time."
Beast: "…Months ago… when things started falling apart here… when everyone thought you were dead… …we met a a woman named Cressida Desford."

This implies to me that Beast & Iceman would have wanted to talk to Archangel about this as soon as possible since he returned from the "dead". The soonest time that would have been after Ship landed on Earth and set itself upright as shown would be right before he's attacked by Sabertooth in XF 52. The next soonest spot to both publication date and storyline would be between XF 58 & XSOS 2. I'm curious why such a late spot was chosen?
"May the Light shine forever!"
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Marvel Fanfare 50

Post by Michael »

Warren told Hank and Bobby that he would continue to pay Dominic Desford's medical bills even though the boy wasn't really his son. It was first publicly revealed that Warren was Archangel in XF 57 and Warren confirms that in XF 59. Archangel couldn't pay Dominic's medical bills until he revealed that he was Warren-he'd have no access to his fortune.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Michael wrote:Warren told Hank and Bobby that he would continue to pay Dominic Desford's medical bills even though the boy wasn't really his son. It was first publicly revealed that Warren was Archangel in XF 57 and Warren confirms that in XF 59. Archangel couldn't pay Dominic's medical bills until he revealed that he was Warren-he'd have no access to his fortune.
Yes, but that doesn't call for a later placement. Warren says: "I'd been paying his medical bills. When everyone thought I was dead, the payments were stopped. I guess that's what sent Cressy completely over the edge. But I'll make sure they're covered again… that Dominic's taken care of… …till it's time for him to fly with a better kind of angels than me." To me that implies that now he's been made aware of the situation, he'll make it right. That to me, places it BEFORE he reveals to the world that he's not dead, as the first steps to getting his fortune back so he can pay Dominic's bills. It gives him a reason to pick up his old life which he didn't seem to have after Candy Southern's death.

I'd still say that Hank and Bobby would want to tell Warren about this at the earliest opportunity. So, it can either go before he's attacked by Sabertooth (in XF 52) or after he recovers from being attacked by Sabertooth and the Ravens storyline (after XF 58).
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

But there's no indication in-story that Warren was planning on revealing his true identity before he got drugged. It's treated like something that happened as a result of Sabretooth's drugging him, not something that Warren was planning to do anyway.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Does he have to *publicly* pay the kid's bills? He's rich and influential; he could set it up so that checks started coming from "Warren's estate" or something.

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

The problem is that Warren *wasn't* rich and influential before XF 57. Everyone thought he was dead- the only people who knew he was alive were the X-Teams, some of their foes and Trish Tilby. Hodge had control of Warren's fortune and Warren would have had to reveal to the courts he was alive to regain control of it, and word would have leaked to the press. (In real life, it's almost impossible to regain control over your fortune after being believed dead, but presumably the courts made an exception because Hodge was *the person who tried to kill Warren*.)
frogcoin
Hero
Hero

Post by frogcoin »

metaldragon wrote:Yes, but that doesn't call for a later placement. Warren says: "I'd been paying his medical bills. When everyone thought I was dead, the payments were stopped. I guess that's what sent Cressy completely over the edge. But I'll make sure they're covered again… that Dominic's taken care of… …till it's time for him to fly with a better kind of angels than me." To me that implies that now he's been made aware of the situation, he'll make it right. That to me, places it BEFORE he reveals to the world that he's not dead, as the first steps to getting his fortune back so he can pay Dominic's bills. It gives him a reason to pick up his old life which he didn't seem to have after Candy Southern's death.

I'd still say that Hank and Bobby would want to tell Warren about this at the earliest opportunity. So, it can either go before he's attacked by Sabertooth (in XF 52) or after he recovers from being attacked by Sabertooth and the Ravens storyline (after XF 58).
I just read the comic and i second metaldragon opinion, when he says "But I'll make sure they're covered again…" he could have mean that he still didnt have a hold of his fortune but he was going to work in order to set things right.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

But he also says "When everyone thought I was dead"- that implies that at the time Warren is speaking, everyone knows he's alive.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

X-Factor used to think he was dead, but now they know he's alive. So, technically, "everyone" DID think he was dead -- and now, NOT "everyone" thinks that.

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

JephYork wrote:X-Factor used to think he was dead, but now they know he's alive. So, technically, "everyone" DID think he was dead -- and now, NOT "everyone" thinks that.

-Jeph!
Yes, between XF 15 & 24 everyone including X-Factor thought he was dead. Only Apocalypse and his 3 Horsemen knew he wasn't because they kidnapped him right before Hodge blew up his plane. After XF 24, only X-Factor knew he was alive. Everyone else was left guessing who the guy with the metal wings and blue skin was until XF 57 when he was hallucinating from Sabertooth's bullet and told a bank teller. That's when the press found out.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

With that said, the earliest spot for it to go after the world knows he's alive is between XF 58 & XSOS 2. There he's recovering from Sabertooth's poisoned bullet and the Ravens attempt to turn him into an energy vampire.

So this change would affect Angel, Beast, Iceman & Ship's chronologies:

XF 58
M/FAN 50
XSOS 2
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Hold on.

If I'm understanding this, you're talking about moving M/FAN 50 from after XF 59 to before XF 59, but I'm really not feeling the urge. You started out by asking "Why can't it be moved?"--and that's what a lot of the subsequent discussion has revolved around--but you haven't shown why it NEEDS to be moved.

watching: texas a&m vs oklahoma state
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Re-read my first post. I asked why it was pushed so far back from it's publication date (APR 1990) when there were earlier spots where it could go. In fact it was only published the month after XF 52 (MAR 1990). Since Ship was shown in upright position in M/FAN 50 (as per XF 51) and the Atlantis Attacks annuals story has placed a gap between XF 51 & 52, my initial thought was, why wasn't it placed in that gap too, just before XF 52? Since Beast & Iceman thought to mention Cassie & Dominic to Warren when they discovered Warren wasn't dead and after he'd rejoined the team but never got a chance to mention it until Ship landed on Earth again in XF 51, wouldn't they have told him as soon as possible?

I'm now considering the argument others are giving to place it a bit later, that's all. My compromise spot is: as soon as possible after the end of the Ravens story arc, which is XF 58. My challenge still stands: Why was it placed so far from it's publication date? I'm not finding any solid reason for it according to the dialogue.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I understand your original desire was to move the story closer to publication date; I get that point. But your solution only moves it one month, so you're not really accomplishing what you set out to do.

Your challenge isn't really a challenge. You're not stating that anything is wrong, just asking for the reasoning on a placement. I regret that I can't devote the time to explain placements of books. You've found a placement that works good for you...that's great. But it's your personal placement. Unless I can be shown that our placement is incorrect, or unless Marvel officially disagrees with us, via the Index, I don't see the need to make the change.

I was intrigued with the discussion, when we were talking about moving the book ten or so issues forward. That's fairly significant, and if enough people here had felt uncomfortable with its current placement, I could have been convinced to move it. But I just don't see the real accomplishment behind moving it one month.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe