The New Mutants in UX #175?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

The New Mutants in UX #175?

Post by JephYork »

According to the narration in UX #175, the New Mutants are at Cyclops and Madelyne's wedding (a scene which occurs after UX@ 7).

However, the New Mutants are on an extended adventure during this time -- in NM #8, they discover Nova Roma and meet Magma, whom they bring back with them to Rio de Janeiro in NM #12, then they return home in NM #13 and introduce Magna to Professor X.

The problem is, NM #8 has appearances by Prof. X and Lilandra that are set prior to UX #173. And #13 has Professor X encounter the Beyonder's scanning wave again, which a footnote places after UX #178.

So, for the New Mutants to appear at the wedding, they must have returned home sometime in that arc.

There are two spots where this could have happened: between NM #12-FB and NM #12 (between leaving Nova Roma and arriving in Rio, which the narration describes as "a fortnight" -- or between NM #12-13 (between leaving Rio and introducing Magma to Prof. X).

Both slots are okay. The first one requires assuming that the new Mutants went home after Nova Roma, then *returned* to Rio -- which does make sense, as Sunspot needed to confront his father. And there's a cool "fortnight" gap in there that looks appetizing. But it does raise the question "where's Magma?" ... was she at the wedding too? I see faces-in-the-crowd, all standing near one another, that look vaguely like the other four New Mutants -- but no blondes.

The second slot assumes that the X-Men were home for quite some time before introducing Magma to Prof. X -- which is weird, but NM #14 reads more like a "formal introduction to the school" rather than an "oh hey Professor, we're home and we found this mutant, can we keep her?" first-time introduction.

Does anyone have any preferences which slot I should use? I keep flip-flopping, but I'm somewhat liking the second one at the moment, even though it means that all of UXM #176-178 happened between the New Mutants' return home and Magma's formal introduction to the school.

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: The New Mutants in UX #175?

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote: Both slots are okay. The first one requires assuming that the new Mutants went home after Nova Roma, then *returned* to Rio -- which does make sense, as Sunspot needed to confront his father. And there's a cool "fortnight" gap in there that looks appetizing. But it does raise the question "where's Magma?" ... was she at the wedding too? I see faces-in-the-crowd, all standing near one another, that look vaguely like the other four New Mutants -- but no blondes.

-Jeph!
Magma could have been walking around Westchester, trying to get acclimated to the modern world.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Jeph, my MU calendar notes place the wedding between NM 12 and 13.
Paul B.
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Chris McCarver »

Oh, you would be asking about the first X-Men comic I ever bought...

Throw me in the consensus of sticking this between NM 12-13.
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Incidentally, when did Dani change from "Psyche" to "Mirage"? Which one is she when she appears bts in UX #175?

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

This is weird- in the X-Men/Micronauts limited series, which is placed between UX 179 and NM 14, Dani is referred to as Spellbinder. This was before she took the name Mirage. So she would have been Mirage at the time of UX 175.
Incidentally, Uncanny X-Men.net starts referring to Dani as Mirage starting with NM 18. I'm trying to remember if the name Mirage might have been used earlier. It should be noted that in DEF 129,which is placed after UX 175, Professor Power tries to brainwash the Defenders into killing the New Mutants and Dani is referred to as Psyche.
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Chris McCarver »

Should mention: Dani was referred to as Psyche in M/TU@ 6, which is placed between NM 4-5.

I think Dani only went by Spellbinder during the X&M mini. The Unofficial Appendix site makes this note in the entry for the Entity (the big-bad in X&M):
In the X-Men/Microverse#1, the alias "Spellbinder" was used for Danielle Moonstar. Some people will write that off as an error...which I guess it could be. However, that story occurred around the time that Moonstar had not taken a long-term codename. The original OHotMU listed her as Psyche, which never stuck. Eventually she became Mirage, but I see absolutely no reason that Moonstar, a young woman at the time, might have briefly adopted the alias Spellbinder, if even for a few days. Heck, Ariel is an alias of Kitty Pryde...how often did she use that?
chris "mac" mccarver
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Chris McCarver »

Sorry for the double, but I wanted to weigh in on Dani's codename.

The Marvel Wikia lists Dani's first appearance as Mirage as #21. I pulled up #21 and couldn't find any instance of her using the name (incidentally, she was present but in a wheelchair recovering from her injuries after her showdown with the Demon Bear at the time). The first time I could find anyone calling her Mirage was in the backup feature of #22, where Xavier dictated journal entries on the team, including Dani, in this issue.
chris "mac" mccarver
Ocean Doot
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ocean Doot »

Chris McCarver wrote:Should mention: Dani was referred to as Psyche in M/TU@ 6, which is placed between NM 4-5.

I think Dani only went by Spellbinder during the X&M mini. The Unofficial Appendix site makes this note in the entry for the Entity (the big-bad in X&M):
In the X-Men/Microverse#1, the alias "Spellbinder" was used for Danielle Moonstar. Some people will write that off as an error...which I guess it could be. However, that story occurred around the time that Moonstar had not taken a long-term codename. The original OHotMU listed her as Psyche, which never stuck. Eventually she became Mirage, but I see absolutely no reason that Moonstar, a young woman at the time, might have briefly adopted the alias Spellbinder, if even for a few days. Heck, Ariel is an alias of Kitty Pryde...how often did she use that?
For that matter, how often was Dani called "Psyche"? It seems like it happened in maybe six comics total, and then she was just "Dani" or "Moonstar" for a while, before she was called "Mirage."