Uncanny X-Men: Official Index to the Marvel Universe - done!

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Uncanny X-Men: Official Index to the Marvel Universe - done!

Post by JephYork »

(Shamelessly copy-pasted from the thread I started over on marvelmasterworks.com...)

Well, it's done and it's off to the printers. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I wanted to remind the Index fans on the board that this book is coming out soon -- and urge you all to pick up a copy!

While the two previous Index trades (Iron Man and Spider-Man) featured typo and error corrections, and a few new entries in the back as "bonus features", the updates and polishes made to the X-Men book are much more in-depth.

The first five issues' worth of the original Index -- covering Uncanny X-Men #1-229, Giant-Size #1-2 & Annuals #1-11 -- have been more or less completely overhauled. They now feature expanded character listings, updated and corrected chronologies, additional background information, and have been re-formatted to be consistent with the format of later Index issues. (We didn't quite nail down our style sheet until Index #6 or so.) We also made use of the increased space and flexibility of the TPB format to expand some of the entries that originally had to be compressed to fit into the monthly format ... all told, we added 12 new pages to issues #1-5.

This is why I was asking you all these weird questions lately. Thanks to your help, the Index now reveals which covers are reproduced on the cover of UXM #138, which characters appear on the Wanted poster in #141, which real-world British government figure appears in #150, which creator Storm passes in the street in #155 ... and much much more! (Several of you made it into the book's Special Thanks section, by the way.)

Index #6-14 received minor edits and updates as well; mainly adding in obscure appearances in characters' chronologies that were overlooked during the monthly issues' production -- or seeding in flashbacks from stories published in the last year. We're now current as of books published two weeks ago ... Wolverine's appearance in this month's "Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four vol.2 #3" is listed between UXM #272-273 where it belongs.

I also added three "cover gallery" pages that showcase various second print, re-issue or variant covers that we skipped the first time around. Marvel Milestone Editions, gold 2nd-print covers, newsstand variants, all kinds of neat curios. (And thanks again to everyone who helped me by scanning their copies of certain variants!)

And finally, this book covers the entire run of Classic X-Men! Yes, all 110 issues are covered in an all-new special section in the back! We were originally going to publish Classic X-Men in Index #13-14, but we ran out of room and ended up switching to X-Men: the Hidden Years instead. Since the Classic material was already written, we thought it would make a great bonus here!

All told, this book covers 686 comics:

Uncanny X-Men #1-514 and #minus-1
Uncanny X-Men Annual #1-18, 1995-2001 & vol. 2 #1-2
Giant-Size X-Men #1-4
Astonishing X-Men (Age of Apocalypse) #1-4
Special Edition X-Men
Heroes For Hope Starring the X-Men
Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia
Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Exodus
X-Men: the Hidden Years #1-22
Classic X-Men #1-110

I wanted to get "The Uncanny X-Men at the State Fair of Texas" in there too, but we just plain ran out of room. :(

So there you have it! Updated, expanded, vetted and polished until it shines! This TPB is the ultimate way to get your X-Men Index fix, and it's coming out in mid-November. Thanks again to everyone who pitched in, and I hope you all enjoy the book!!

-Jeph!
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Uncanny X-Men: Official Index to the Marvel Universe - done!

Post by ShadZ »

Wow! That sounds amazing...
ShadZ
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I just got some advance copies of this little beauty. It's fantastic -- I think it came out really well!

It's in stores either tomorrow or next Wednesday (I've lost track) ... so buy early and often!!

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Just picked it up. Great job to you guys and thanks for the "Special Thanks." It was very cool to see my name there. You guys ever need anything to help out, let me know.