Marvel Double Feature

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Marvel Double Feature

Post by Somebody »

ShadZ wrote:Is Roberta sentient? I always got the idea that she was just a very sophisticated auto-responder, but she couldn't actually think -- and therefore doesn't qualify as a "character"
Well, the Claremont-era scene I mentioned with Reed throwing three of them away as a distraction certainly implies so.

Also, is Fin Fang Four in-continuity? [Right now, it's neither placed nor on the non-canon list]
. In that, the current Roberta model (bearing in mind that the pre-HRtn models have been destroyed) is upgraded to sentience, which further impiles that the pre-HRtn Roberta(s) were indeed non-sentient.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Somebody wrote:Also, is Fin Fang Four in-continuity? [Right now, it's neither placed nor on the non-canon list]
. In that, the current Roberta model (bearing in mind that the pre-HRtn models have been destroyed) is upgraded to sentience, which further impiles that the pre-HRtn Roberta(s) were indeed non-sentient.
Well, in Avengers Assemble 1, Egghead's appearance in Fin Fang Four Return is explained away as an alternate-reality Egghead. That's evidence that Marvel thinks Fin Fang Four is in continuity.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Somebody wrote:Also, is Fin Fang Four in-continuity? [Right now, it's neither placed nor on the non-canon list]
It's on the Checklist.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Regarding Roberta's sentience and thus appropriateness for a listing in the MCP... the X-Men Index TPB lists Roberta in the "Other Characters" category, not in "Locations/Items." Doesn't that suggest we should be including Roberta?
Paul B.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Not really. It also lists Sentinels as Villains, but that doesn't mean they're sentient either.

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Hmm. Still...it would be handy for Index writers to have an MCP listing for Roberta, no? :wink:
Paul B.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Yeah, but the problem is that there might be more than one Roberta. OTOH, there was probably more than one Growing Man and we have all the Growing Man's (Men's?) appearances listed in one entry.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Michael wrote:
OTOH, there was probably more than one Growing Man and we have all the Growing Man's (Men's?) appearances listed in one entry.
:yepp:
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Having just finished my analysis of the main stories in TS, I need to update my corrections/additions.

First, TS 15 follows right after TS 14, so the lack of a gap between these two issues forces some shuffling in Hercules' and Jarvis' chronologies. Things are now in line with Black Widow's chronology. Thor himself, not Thor II, appears in TS 15, so that needs to change. And I need to add Thunderstrike's chronology to the mix.

I'll be posting an updated list of proposed changes and an expanded list of characters encompassing the period from TS 9-24. Stay tuned...
Paul B.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Paul Bourcier wrote: First, TS 15 follows right after TS 14, so the lack of a gap between these two issues forces some shuffling in Hercules' and Jarvis' chronologies.
Do we know that TS 15 follows directly from TS 14? In TS 14, Eric battles Seth's agents while Mephisto tricks Kevin into signing a contract. In TS 15, Kevin is in a coma and everybody tries to find a way to save him. Is it possible that the Seth plot and the Mephisto plot are not happening simultaneously?
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I didn't see a compelling reason to split the plots, especially since the scene with Mephisto and Kevin occurs in the middle of TS 14, not at the end.
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I updated my suggested changes for the chronologies of Thor, Thunderstrike, Hercules, and Edwin Jarvis. See above.

I'll post my suggested changes for other Thunderstrike characters in a separate thread.
Paul B.