AA 3/4
AA 4/4
AA 6
TTA 12
M/U 4
M/U 5
M/U 6
M/U 7

AFAIK, he was called "Dr. Droom" in the AA and TTA stories, and the name was retconned to "Dr. Druid" in the reprinted AA and TTA stories in Weird Wonder Tales #19-22.

There is a flashback in this week's Chaos War: Dead Avengers #3 in which Ludgate undergoes a ritual in which he receives the mark of the "Triple Goddess" and is given the name "Druid." I believe that in M/U 4, he is called "Dr.Druid."

Does this suggest that the CHAOS:DA 3 flashback occurs between TTA 12 and M/U 4? Or does the ritual in this flashback predate AA 1/4 and we accept the retcon that "Dr. Droom" was never his name?
Paul B.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Dr. Druid's early chronology

Post by Leoparis »

That's my understanding.
The official Marvel line has always been that the Marvel Universe started in FF#1 and that previous comics are only added to the canon if they are mentioned in a Marvel Universe story. The Dr Droom stories entered the MU when they were reprinted as Dr. Druid.

In the Dead Avengers flashback, he has full hair and looks young while in AA he's middle aged and bald.

AFAIK Druid doesn't appear in TTA 12. He appears in the altered story reprinted in Weird Wonder Tales #21.
Other doctored stories with Dr Druid added are from Strange Tales 97. It's best to refer to Weird Wonder Tales for those.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Leoparis wrote:The official Marvel line has always been that the Marvel Universe started in FF#1 and that previous comics are only added to the canon if they are mentioned in a Marvel Universe story.
That hasn't been the policy for quite a while. See the FAQ.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

There is no contradiction. And that FAQ confirms what I wrote about Dr Druid. The Weird Wonder Tales stories take precedence over the AA stories.
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

Leoparis wrote:There is no contradiction.
Yes there is, I think. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what you are saying (reworded):

"Pre-FF#1 stories are not considered canon unless and until they are referenced in a post-FF#1 story"

While this is what the FAQ is saying (reworded):

"Pre-FF#1 stories are considered canon unless and until they are repudiated/contradicted/disavowed in a post-FF#1 story"

Both rules, however, support the reading that the rewritten "Dr. Druid" stories are the real, in-canon stories and the "Dr. Droom" stories are not Earth-616 canon. The Dr. Druid stories did not merely reference the Dr. Droom stories, they replaced them.
ShadZ