Marvel Girl 1- Is It Canon?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Marvel Girl 1- Is It Canon?

Post by Michael »

The new Marvel Girl oneshot raises questions as to whether or not it's in continuity. Scott and Warren start fighting over Jean in the middle of a holographic simulation of a jungle. The problem is, the story takes place before Beast turned blue and furry and the Danger Room couldn't simulate environments until the first Brood Saga, which is long after Beast turned blue and furry. There was no period in the X-Men's history where Hank was pink-skinned, Warren was pink-skinned, Xavier was on Earth and the Danger Room could simulate environments. The question is, is this enough to disqualify this issue from continuity?
It should be noted that this oneshot and the Magneto oneshot a few weeks back were originally intended to be First Class books. So should they be lumped in with the First Class books, which for the moment are out of continuity?
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Marvel Girl 1- Is It Canon?

Post by metaldragon »

They only way that could be possible is if Hank and Warren were using holograms to look like they used to. That means it would have to take place sometime between X 1 and X 30 before Warren starts dating Betsy.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

This book along with all the other first class books should be considered for the project. They are marketed as canon, the writers have said they are, they have been referenced in other ongoings (New Warriors, X-Men vs. the Agents of Atlas), referenced in handbooks, and do not carry the Marvel Adventures branding which seperates them from the other all ages comics.

While they have proven to contain flubs, they consistantly touch upon 616 themes and continuity. Now they are coming out with a magazine that reprints the stories along with regular issues of X-Men.

Marvel has been releasing an onslaught of titles of this type for sometime now, and while I realize they don't match up panel for panel and they get somethings slightly wrong. I do believe that they are trying to incorporate new stories from the past with some modernization for new readers.

I don't believe the X-Men using a holographic room automatically warrents this as being out of continuity.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

This book along with all the other first class books should be considered for the project. They are marketed as canon, the writers have said they are, they have been referenced in other ongoings (New Warriors, X-Men vs. the Agents of Atlas), referenced in handbooks, and do not carry the Marvel Adventures branding which seperates them from the other all ages comics.
Thanks -- I do believe we heard you the first six or seven times you rattled off this same set of talking points. ;)

-Jeph!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Jason Doty wrote:I don't believe the X-Men using a holographic room automatically warrents this as being out of continuity.
No one has said that. What they have said is that a holographic danger room, taken in context with other apparently mutually exclusive clues, calls the canon status of this book into question. Simply put, can you find a chronological place for this book that addresses those questions?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Look basically what I am getting at is:

Many series have been coming out like the First Class series, Iron Man Legacy, Thor: First Thunder, Captain America: Man Out of Time, ect... that enhance the 616 with new tales and the writers and artists flub something small like the use of a cell phone, who was President, get a name wrong ect...while trying to update the Marvel Universe with tales geared to new readership.

Is it really that important that there was a room with Holographic technology at the X-Mansion in 1960's, when the Marvel Universe runs on a sliding timeline and the author is writing the story in 2011? No where does it mention "Danger Room" or Shi'ar technology.

The story is about Jean coming to terms with the death of her friend, which is a major part of her origin. None of these stories are wholesale retcons like Children of the Atom. They are attempts to tell stories that take place between the pages of established books, which must be hard to do considering that they are working with 50+ years of continuity. I'm personally pleased when they get 99% of it right. This story takes place around UX 38-39.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

The X-Men seem pretty damned surprised when the explicitly-newly-upgraded Danger Room starts doing hologrammy things circa UX #175, don't they?
This story takes place around UX 38-39.
Becauuuuuuse...?

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

In broad strokes:
Because Jean is a student.
She's dating Scott exclusively.
It's before Professor X "dies" at the hands of Grotesk.
It's after the adventures depicted in the last scene, namely meeting Dr. Strange.

Also, I'm not saying the artist didn't make a mistake, just stating that I don't think its really that important to knock it out of continuity.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

"Around #38-39" just struck me as odd because those are the final two issues of a multi-issue arc. If it's true that Jean is "dating Scott exclusively", I'd suggest somewhere between UX #39-41. Or after UX #66, when Prof. X returns.

-Jeph!
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Jason Doty wrote:Look basically what I am getting at is:

Many series have been coming out like the First Class series, Iron Man Legacy, Thor: First Thunder, Captain America: Man Out of Time, ect... that enhance the 616 with new tales and the writers and artists flub something small like the use of a cell phone, who was President, get a name wrong ect...while trying to update the Marvel Universe with tales geared to new readership.
Jason, there are seperate threads for Thor:First Thunder and the second arc in Iron Man Legacy:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5447
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5149
There are significant inconsistencies with both these stories. Thor:First Thunder is difficult to reconcile with the original Journey Into Mystery issues, while the Legacy arc features Tony Stark facing a Serpent Society that shouldn't exist yet. If you want to discuss these issues, then please join these threads.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

Michael wrote:The new Marvel Girl oneshot raises questions as to whether or not it's in continuity. Scott and Warren start fighting over Jean in the middle of a holographic simulation of a jungle. The problem is, the story takes place before Beast turned blue and furry and the Danger Room couldn't simulate environments until the first Brood Saga, which is long after Beast turned blue and furry. There was no period in the X-Men's history where Hank was pink-skinned, Warren was pink-skinned, Xavier was on Earth and the Danger Room could simulate environments.
I haven't read the issue, but could it be explained as telepathical illusions created by Xavier?
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

Jean says, "End program" and the illusions disappear, which implies that it's a computer, not Xavier.