Nick Fury in New Avengers #14

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Nick Fury in New Avengers #14

Post by loki »

Anyone able to help figure out the placements for Nick Fury's appearances in New Avengers #14?

In one flashback, Jessica Drew tells him Hydra want to recruit her as a double agent inside SHIELD. He tells her to become a triple agent for him. For Spider-Woman, this is between Giant Size Spider-Woman #1 and New Avengers #42

In the next flashback, Veranke has taken Jessica's place. It's at least "17 months" later (the time it took for the repowering process Hydra put Jessica through). For "Jessica" it is between Hercules #1's flashback and Mighty Avengers #16.

Finally, there's Nick Fury's actual presence as a voice on the other end of the phone in the present day of New Avengers #14. Per the Cap Index, he's next bts in CA5 #16, but where was he last prior to New Avengers #14?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Nick Fury in New Avengers #14

Post by JephYork »

I mentioned this to you elsewhere, Loki, but it's not actually "seventeen months". The first fb is somewhere between A #503 and A4 #1, and I think the second one is too. Good old Bendis Temporal References.

-Jeph!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nick Fury in New Avengers #14

Post by Russ Chappell »

I don't have access to my books right now, but...
loki wrote:Anyone able to help figure out the placements for Nick Fury's appearances in New Avengers #14?

In one flashback, Jessica Drew tells him Hydra want to recruit her as a double agent inside SHIELD. He tells her to become a triple agent for him. For Spider-Woman, this is between Giant Size Spider-Woman #1 and New Avengers #42
Per Paul's calendar, Avengers 503 occurs on Sep 23, and this flashback occurs on Dec 9.

Tentatively, this would be placed in the MCP between his appearances in Cable & Deadpool 12 & Black Widow v5 1.
In the next flashback, Veranke has taken Jessica's place. It's at least "17 months" later (the time it took for the repowering process Hydra put Jessica through). For "Jessica" it is between Hercules #1's flashback and Mighty Avengers #16.
Is this what Paul describes here?:
Paul Bourcier wrote:NEW AVENGERS #14 - FB (15:2, 15:4) One day. This flashback must occur after W3 31 (19-23). Jessica Drew gives Fury some intel: "Hydra has a splinter group setting up camp in Iraq. They want to help the Saddam Abed Dasam build his - ," to which Fury replies, "We know that." Jessica adds, "He has the Scorpio Key," and Nick says, "That I didn't know." This would seem to place this story before ELEK 2, but that can't be, given that GSSW 1 occurs after Disassembled. This flashback must occur much later in Elektra's chronology; according to my calculations, Elektra would now be with a Hand militia in eastern Europe, as per W3 31 (19-23). Perhaps Dasam has somehow retrieved the Scorpio Key, last seen in ELEK 5 (19-22) in the hands of the man who shot Elektra's father. Leafy trees.
If so, it takes place on the following May 2. This would place Fury here the day before Secret War.
Finally, there's Nick Fury's actual presence as a voice on the other end of the phone in the present day of New Avengers #14. Per the Cap Index, he's next bts in CA5 #16, but where was he last prior to New Avengers #14?
I think what you're describing is here:
The same night as SECWAR 5. From Cage's hospital, Fury calls Jessica Drew and tells her he's going underground as a result of the fallout over the Secret War.
but I'm not sure, since Paul treats this scene as a flashback, not in the present day. In any case, Paul has this scene between Secret War 5 (bts) & Pulse 9 for Fury.

Be aware that these placements are only accurate up to the books that the MCP has already included. Other continuity implants might trip us up.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe