W2 #48- Maverick's 1st appearance? & OTHER TEAM X QUESTIONS

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

W2 #48- Maverick's 1st appearance? & OTHER TEAM X QUESTIONS

Post by JephYork »

In W2 #48, Wolvie flashes back to a Team X spy mission (later revealed as a staged memory implant), where he, Sabretooth and Mastodon bust up a terrorist group consisting of Silver Fox, "Carlisle," "Andre" and "Morse."

Carlisle is later revealed to be John Wraith, and Andre is Professor Thorton/Hudson. But who's Morse?

According to the Team X roster found in Wolverine #50, the group's members are Wolverine, Sabretooth, Fox, Kestrel, Vole, Mastodon and Wildcat. Wolvie, Sabretooth and Mastodon are obvious, Fox is Silver Fox, Kestrel is John Wraith, Vole is Psi-Borg (who's behind the scenes messing with everyone telepathically) -- and Wildcat is Maverick.

Out of that list, the only one not definitively participating in the staged scenario is Wildcat/Maverick. And the only person who doesn't definitively correspond to anyone is Morse.

Does Morse = Maverick? Is this the first appearance of Maverick, published two months before his debut in X-Men #5?

(Note that this issue is also the sneaky first appearance of John Wraith, as "Carlisle".)

-Jeph
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: W2 #48 - first appearance of Maverick?

Post by JephYork »

More Maverick questions:

His longtime alias, David North, is revealed in X #6. But where is his real name, Christoph Nord, revealed?

Also, where is it first explicitly confirmed that Maverick is Wildcat, from Team X's roster list? Everyone else from the list is identified in W2 #62, and you can infer from there that Maverick must therefore be Wildcat -- but where is that inference first *confirmed*?

-Jeph!
GodRob
Henchman
Henchman

Post by GodRob »

In Maverick vol. 1 1 (Jan 1997), Elena Ivanovna calls Maverick "Nord" which angers him. His reply: "Nobody calls me that! That name is as dead as my past". I didn't see any reference to "Christoph" in the issue.

In Maverick vol. 2 1 (Sept 1997), Maverick is dreaming of three tombstones. The names on the tombstones are "Christoph Nord", "David North", and "Maverick". It's hinted at in issue one and confirmed in issue 2 that Christoph Nord was his real name. Issue two also relates how he changed is name to David North when he joined a "select group of operatives" not named in the issue but refered to on the cover as Team-X.

Not listed in the MCP, Maverick appears in X-Men Unlimited 15 (June 1997) between MAV and MAV2 1 but I didn't see any reference to the name Nord in that issue.

Can't give you any help with the Wildcat or Morse problems but your conclusions look good to me.

I also looked through X-Men Unlimited 3, X-Men Unlimited 15, Wolverine 87, and Wolverine '95/2 and didn't find any references to Nord in those issues.

Maverick appearances I haven't checked prior to the Maverick special:
X-Men 5, 6, 7, 10, 11
Wolverine 60, 62, 63, 64, 67
Team X / Team 7 (alternate universe?)

Robert
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Thanks, GodRob, that's good detective work!

As for the issues you can't check -- Maverick's OHOTMU Master Edition #32 profile, published in late 1993, lists him as only "David North," so I don't think any of those 1991-1992 X-Men or Wolverine apps reveal his Nord name.

Here's another one: when is that group first officially called "Team X"?

-Jeph!