Cosmic Cube(s) listings?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Cosmic Cube(s) listings?

Post by DonCampbell »

I was looking for a list of all of the issues in which the Cosmic Cube appeared but was surprised to find that the MCP doesn't have such a list. Kubik, the being into whom the Cube matured, is listed but his entry only starts with DEF 150. I realize that the MCP only provides listings for characters and not for objects but surely entities that are both should have all of their appearances listed. After all, Captain America Annual #7 revealed that each Cosmic Cube is actually an egg from which a cosmic-powered being will eventually hatch.

I suppose that it could be argued that the Cosmic Cube isn't really a character until it demonstrates its sentience. However, even then Kubik's listing is missing several appearances. For example, during the "Pegasus Project" storyline in M/TIO #53-58, the Cosmic Cube plays a significant part. The last panel in M/TIO 55 shows a voice inside Wundarr's head speaking to him and in M/TIO 58 Wundarr states that the Cube summoned him. Also, in CA @7 the Cube speaks a few words to Captain America before leaving for the stars with the Shaper of Worlds.

Speaking of the Shaper, he appears (as the Skrull Cosmic Cube) in a flashback in CA @ 7 that should be his earliest appearance but which is not listed in his chronology. Is it because he appears there in his immature Cube form?

Of course, given how many Cosmic Cubes have appeared over the years, it could be difficult sorting them out. Even if you exclude the multiple Cosmic Cubes (and non-cubic Cosmic Containment Units) that showed up in the Infinity War and Infinity Crusade limited series, there are still at least five Cubes that were associated with Earth: the original Cube (now Kubik), the second Cube (the Red Skull-created former prison holding the mind of the Hate Monger), the third Cube (formerly the Beyonder and later Kosmos and then the Maker), the fourth Cube (created by the Adaptoid-controlled fragment of A.I.M.), and the fifth Cube (constructed out of fragments of previous Cubes for the Red Skull by R.A.I.D.). If the original Cube deserves an full listing, then should any or all of the other four Cubes be listed as well?

And finally, there's the Cube that appeared in the Avengers/Invaders limited series. Is this a new Cube or one that we've seen before? I'm sort of thinking that it was the original Cube (due to its fondness for Cap) but I'm not sure. Even if it is, I have no clear idea about where it would fit into the Cube's chronology.

Don Campbell
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cosmic Cube(s) listings?

Post by Col_Fury »

The recent Captain America Index TPB gives the Cosmic Cubes chronologies, treating them as pre-characters as you suggest.

Unfortunately it skipped over M/TIO #53-58, but here's what it has for the original Cosmic Cube:

KUBIK [COSMIC CUBE]
*CA@ 7 (15:4-15:6)-FB
*FF 319-FB
*{TOS 79/2}
*TOS 80/2
*TOS 81/2
*A 40
*CA 115-FB
*CA 114
*CA 115
*CA 116
*CA 117 (1-7)
*CA 186-FB
*CA 117 (8-20)
*CA 118
*CM 17-BTS
*CA 119
*CM 28
*CM 29
*CM 30
*M/FEA 12
*CM 30
*CM 31
*CM 32
*CM 33
*CA@ 7 (17:3)-FB
*M/TIO 42
*M/TIO 43
*CA@ 7
*DEF 150-FB
DEF 150
A 289

And...

SHAPER OF WORLDS [COSMIC CUBE]
*CA@ 7 (35:3-35:5)-FB
H2 155-FB-BTS
{H2 155}
FF 136
FF 137
H2 267-FB
H2 190
H2 191
H2 267
*CA@ 7 (37:2)-FB
CA@ 7
FF 319

What issues of M/TIO #53-58 does the Cube appear in? All of them?

As for the other Cubes, the Index lays out chronologies for them as well. However, I don't have the TPB in front of me at the moment.
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Col_Fury wrote:What issues of M/TIO #53-58 does the Cube appear in? All of them?
Actually, between M/TIO 43 and CA@ 7, the Cosmic Cube appears in two different storylines set at Project: Pegasus. Here's the information I've put together about the "Pegasus Project" storyline in M/TIO #53-58. Also, at one point it is stated that the Cube's power is within Wundarr's body. Should the Cube receive a BTS notation for those issues, even though it is not visibly present but Wundarr is?

M/TIO 53 - No actual appearance by the Cube but Wundarr appears there and in FB (15:3-15:5) between M/TIO 43 and this issue.

M/TIO 54 - No actual appearance by the Cube but Wundarr appears in a single panel with a narrative that states, "Whatever voices the young alien hears in his tortured mind go unidentified...for now." If the Cube is the source of this implied voice, should it get a BTS?

M/TIO 55 - No actual appearance by the Cube. On pages 16+17, Wundarr recalls his life in a series of FBs of which (17:3) goes between M/TIO 43 and M/TIO 53 (13:3) - FB, and (17:4) probably fits best between M/TIO 53 (13:4 and 13:5) - FB. More significantly, the final panel has this narrative ("A tiny voice inside his head whispers the answer:") and this dialogue ("You're doing it, Wundarr. The Cube's power is in you now...shutting down all that is harsh, all that can hurt. Sleep now, Wundarr. When you wake again, nothing will stop you...NOTHING!). I think that this "tiny voice inside his head" is meant to be the Cube. However, the voice could also have been meant to be a manifestation of Wundarr's no-longer-autistic consciousness.

M/TIO 56 - No actual appearance by the Cube but Wundarr wakes.

M/TIO 57 - The Cosmic Cube appears in two panels on page 15. In panel 8 the Cube appears to be drained but in panel 9, "as Wundarr draws near, the dormant Cube strangely begins to sparkle!"

M/TIO 58 - The Cube only appears in panel 7 of page 3 as part of a FB narrated by Wundarr. It's possible that this panel is just the same as M/TIO 56 (15:9) but from a reversed POV (i.e. Wundarr in the foreground looking down on the glowing Cube in the background as opposed to the earlier panel which showed a glowing Cube in the foreground with Wundarr in the background). However, this panel contains the following narration by Wundarr: "I was being summoned by the Cube, and as I neared it, it glowed with new life! Mentally, I entered the Cube, and when I emerged, my rebirth became complete..." I believe that this narrative makes this panel different/significant enough to be included on its own.

Anyway, after the "Pegasus Project" storyline concluded, the Cube next appeared in M/TU@ 5 (1982). All of the Pegasus personnel were taken over by the Serpent Crown and they used the Cube to power four dimensional cannons which they used to retrieve counterparts of the SC from hundreds of alternate Earths. Later, all of the Serpent Crowns in the multiverse merged into a single gigantic crown which then animated itself and swallowed first the Thing, then the Scarlet Witch and finally Spider-Man (while he was holding the Cube). As the Elder God Set was about to manifest on Earth, the three swallowed heroes combined their wills to use the Cube to destroy the giant crown and to banish Set from Earth.

The M/TU@ 5 story is recapped by Uatu the Watcher in the final chapter of the "Saga of the Serpent Crown" back-up feature that appeared in FF@ 14. Although the artwork is new, I don't think that there is any new information provided by this recap so I don't think it should be added.

Here's what I would add to KUBIK's chronology between M/TIO 43 and CA@ 7. Entries marked with a "BTS?" are those where only Wundarr appears (but where he may have the Cube's power within him, albeit unseen).

M/TIO 43
M/TIO 55 (17:3) - FB - BTS?
M/TIO 53 (13:3-13:4) FB - BTS?
M/TIO 55 (17:4) FB - BTS?
M/TIO 53 (13:5) FB - BTS?
M/TIO 54 - BTS?
M/TIO 55 (voice inside Wundarr's head)
M/TIO 56 - BTS?
M/TIO 57
M/TIO 58 - FB
M/TU@ 5
CA@ 7

Col_Fury wrote:As for the other Cubes, the Index lays out chronologies for them as well. However, I don't have the TPB in front of me at the moment.
Just out of curiosity, how many Cubes does the Index list? And how does the Index name/differentiate between them?

Finally, I remember that the original Cosmic Cube appeared in that FFWGCM limited series but it's not on the list that you provided. Were the events of that LS made to "unhappen" or something?

Don Campbell
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

The original was called the "Cosmic Cube." The one from Super-Villain Team-Up, with Hitler trapped inside, was called the "faulty Cosmic Cube." The others were each called "new Cosmic Cubes," but with a "1st" each time it's a new one.

FFWGCM happened, I just missed it. I'll have to flip through the series to see which issues it appeared in. Thanks!

I also see that the Appendix says the original Cosmic Cube appeared in Sentry/Fantastic Four (in flashback) between ToS #81 and Avengers #40, and Sub-Mariner #47-49 between Captain America #119 and Captain Marvel #28, as well as the M/TIO issues you mentioned. I'll check the Sentry issue to see if that works when I check the FFWGCM series.

Does anyone have Sub-Mariner #47-49 handy to see what the Cube's doing?

I agree with your M/TIO listing, but I'd say

M/TIO 56-VO

because we hear it speak, but don't see it.

Aside from the Beyonder/Kosmos/Maker, here're some chronologies...

COSMIC CUBE II (the faulty one)
SVTU 17
CA 299
CA 446-FB
CA 445
CA 447
CA 448 (seemingly destroyed, internalized by Red Skull)
CA3 1-BTS | cf CA3 14
CA3 4-BTS
CA3 10-BTS
CA3 14-BTS
CA3 15-BTS
CA3 16-BTS
CA3 17-BTS
CA3 19

COMIC CUBE III (the Taking A.I.M. one)
A 386-BTS
CA 440-BTS
A 387-BTS
CA 441-BTS
A 388-BTS

COSMIC CUBE IV (the R.A.I.D. one, created from other flawed Cubes)
CA5 1
CA5 2
CA5 3-BTS | cf CA5 6
CA5 4-BTS | cf CA5 6
CA5 6
CA5 9
CA5 12
CA5 13
CA5 14

I'm also unsure if the Avengers/Invaders Cosmic Cube is a new one, or a reconstituted one.
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Thanks for the chronologies. Here are my (attempts at) answers to your questions.

1. Unfortunately, I can't find my copies of Sub-Mariner #47-49 at the moment. However, I did come across issue #46 which sparked my memory of events in those issues. Modok has the Cosmic Cube but doesn't (or can't) use it because of some flaw that it acquired while under the ocean. Dr. Doom is looking for it and he recruits an amnesiac Namor to help him. They find Modok's base and Namor gets his hands on the Cube but decides that nobody (especially Doom) should have such power and does something (makes a wish?) that causes it to destroy itself (or appear to do so). Anyway, Thanos got his hands on it next.

2. I don't remember much about FFWGCM except that it was interwoven between stories that were published years earlier. As I recall, Doom used his time machine to travel back to a point when the Cosmic Cube was on the bottom of the ocean so he could retrieve from then. He then brought it back to the present-day to use it in his scheme. I assume that Mister Fantastic returned the Cube to where/when Doom found it once Doom was defeated.

3. As for that M/TIO 56-VO, does that notation still apply even though the "voice" was only inside Wundarr's head? After all, if anybody else had been in Wundarr's room at the time there wouldn't have been anything for them to hear. Unlike, say, a telephone call (the only example of use of VO of which I am aware).

Don Campbell
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

No problem!

1) Sweet. Those Sub-Mariner issues were published after Captain America #119 and before Captain Marvel #28, so that works out pretty good. Thanks!

2) Ah, time travel. The Cosmic Cube ended up at the ocean's floor at the end of ToS #81/2, and that's where it still is in Avengers #40. Excellent!

3) Yeah, VO works for me. We don't actually see the Cube, and I guess this is its version of a phone call.

In SENTRY/FF-FB, Mr. Fantastic and Sentry are studying the Cosmic Cube in the Sentry's Watchtower. Mr. Fantastic says "If we can contain the Cube for study, this will be the scientific discovery of the century" before the Cube tries to escape, convinces Cloc to fight the FF and Sentry, and then vanishes when Sentry blasts it with the E-Nullifier.

So, the Cosmic Cube already exists at this point because Mr. Fantastic knows about it, but hasn't been around long enough for anyone to have thoroughly studied it (not that it's around long enough for anyone to study it, really, but whatever). In Avengers #40, the Wasp hasn't heard of the Cosmic Cube until Captain America tells her about it.

Currently, the MCP has SENTRY/FF-FB placed before FF 24. FF 24-25 occur between Avengers #4-5. This can't happen that early; Avengers #5 is before ToS #58, and the Cosmic Cube isn't created until ToS #79/2.

The Appendix has SENTRY/FF-FB placed after ToS #81/2 and before Avengers #40 (this is where the Handbooks placed FFWGCM; the Handbooks say Richards wished the Cube back to where it came from. However, the Appendix doesn't have FFWGCM listed). So, the Cosmic Cube ended up at the ocean's floor at the end of ToS #81/2, time travels and comes back, and that's where it still is in Avengers #40. In CA 115-FB, the Cosmic Cube is found in the Mediterranean by a fisherman.

So where does SENTRY/FF-FB go? The "comic" this adventure came from is "Startling Stories featuring the Sentry #15;" it's an April issue with a cover price of 12 cents.

Going by Cap's books, that's anywhere between ToS #81/2 (after the Cube is created) and Cap #115 (July, '69, it switched to 15 cents in August).

Going by the FF, that's anywhere between FF #54 (same month as ToS #81) and FF #88 (July '69).

I'm thinking SENTRY/FF-FB should go after Avengers #40 and before Cap #115-FB (which is before Cap #114). This is going to require some chronology adjustments for Sentry and the FF, as well as Cloc.

At a glance, I see that FF 73 is the April, '68 issue. Is right before that (between DD 38 & FF 73) a good spot for the FF?

I still need to dig out the FFWGCM series to see which issues the Cube appeared in...
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

According to my notes, the Cube appeared in FFWGCM 4-7 & 12.
Paul B.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Col_Fury wrote:At a glance, I see that FF 73 is the April, '68 issue. Is right before that (between DD 38 & FF 73) a good spot for the FF?
If memory serves, that's not the best place. In DD 38, Daredevil warns the FF that Doom, in the guise of DD, is on his way to the Baxter Building to attack the FF. Then, DD regains his real body and goes to the Baxter Building to alert them that everything's ok, and they battle in FF 73. Presumably, the FF spend the (no more than an) hour between the two books preparing for Doom's attack.

What about before DD 38?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Paul Bourcier wrote:According to my notes, the Cube appeared in FFWGCM 4-7 & 12.
It was pulled out of time after Captain America fought the Red Skull for it and it was lost in the ocean.

Edit: Oh, sorry redundant post.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I see some of the FF also appear in DD 36...

Howsabout between FF 72 & DD 36?
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

And Sue appears in DD 35, which continues into 36, which continues into 37, which continues into 38, which continues into FF 73.

Any objections to putting this Sentry flashback after FF 72 and before the DD arc?
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Okay, a few more comics to add to the KUBIK listings.

First, when I suggested that the Cube should be listed as BTS for all of Wunadarr's appearances between M/TIO 42 and 57, I forgot to include M/TIO 53 - BTS. It should go immediately before M/TIO 54 - BTS.

Second, in Captain Marvel #27, Thanos arrives outside the mouth of a cave containing the Cosmic Cube. The Cube itself is not shown but light being emitted by the Cube is visible and Thanos identifies it as such. Does this merit CM 27 getting a BTS? Or is there some other notation that would be more approriate?
Col_Fury wrote:I still need to dig out the FFWGCM series to see which issues the Cube appeared in...
I decided to review my copies of FFWGCM myself and found some interesting facts. First, Paul's list of Cube appearances in issues #4-7 + 12 is incomplete. The Cosmic Cube actually appears in issues #8-10 as well and it is present but unseen in issue #11. Here's the break-down:

FFWGCM #8-9: Doom uses the Cube to travel into the Negative Zone where he defeats Annihilus and steals his Cosmic Control Rod.

FFWGCM #10: Doom uses "the matchless power of the Cosmic Cube - - harnessed and attuned by Annihilus's Cosmic Control Rod" to steal the power of Galactus. The Cube is not shown on page 6 but is there on Doom's chest (below the Cosmic Control Rod) on pages 10-11.

FFWGCM #12: Reed Richards uses Doom's ionic inanimate matter converter to create "comicbook monsters" that battle the Galactus-powered and gigantic Doom (and divert his attention). When the Fin Fang Foom duplicate slashed Doom across his chest, his tunic tore, his chestplate was damaged and the Cosmic Cube fell, unnoticed by Doom, to the ground. Reed retrieved the Cube and used it to strip Doom of his stolen power.

As for FFWGCM #11, the Cube is definitely present but not seen directly. First, while briefing the gods of Asgard, Reed uses a mystic screen to show the various objects that Doom has used to gain his current power. The Cosmic Cube is one of them. Second, Reed describes Doom as now being more powerful than Galactus. This can be interpreted as Reed referring the Doom having the Cube's power along with that of Galactus. Third, as described above, issue #12 shows that giant Doom had the Cube on his person the whole time, underneath his tunic. How does the MCP list such a "hidden" appearances?

Finally, here are some more facts which may be helpful in placing some CC appearances.

1. FFWGCM takes place between Fantastic Four #100 and 101, two issues that are cover-dated July and August, 1970. This places the events of the miniseries within the time period between Captain America #119 (November, 1969) and Sub-Mariner #47 (March, 1972). During this period, the Cosmic Cube was widely believed to have been destroyed. That is why Doom used his time machine to travel "months" into the past to recover the Cube from beneath the waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Doom also mentions that "someday soon, the Red Skull will retrieve what he lost that day! But with the aid of my time machine, it is I who will beat him to it!” So, he was aware that his actions would change the past. Wasn't he worried about creating an alternate timeline, one in which the Red Skull had never regained the Cosmic Cube (because Doom had gotten to it first)?

2. In FFWGCM #4, Doom is shown using his castle in the Adirondack Mountains of New York as his base of operations for this venture. This is apparently the first time that Doom has been there since abandoning the castle in FF #4 since he states that he has "been without (his) time machine for too long."

3. In FFWGCM #6, the Fantastic Four find themselves facing Doctor Doom who has the Cosmic Cube in his possession. Reed Richards is surprised by this and states that he had "heard" of the Cosmic Cube but thought that it had been destroyed. This would suggest that any close encounter with the Cube, as shown in the Sentry/Fantastic Four flashback, must take place after FFWGCM concludes.

4. After retrieving the Cosmic Cube from the Galactus-powered Doom, Reed uses it to make the following seven wishes:
a) Remove the power of Galactus from Dr. Doom (“Sic semper tyrannis!")
b) Restore Galactus (“Let Galactus be as Galactus was”)
c) Repair all damage caused by Doom's rampage (“Let all the damage the world has suffered now be repaired!")
d) Induces unconsciousness in almost everyone (“Let everyone sleep - - save Galactus and the Watcher")
e) Returns Doom to Latveria (“Let Doom be back in Latveria”)
f) Mindwipes everybody (“And when the world awakes, let there be no memory of the horror that has ensued")
g) Sends the Cosmic Cube away (“hide itself away where it will never be found again”).

As we can see, Reed does not order the Cube to return to its rightful place in space/time. Perhaps we can assume that what he mentally commanded the Cube to do is different than his spoken command? Otherwise, how does the Cube get back to where the Avengers can fight Namor over it (in A 40) or to where a Mediterranean fisherman can find it (in CA 115 - FB)?

Also, Reed indicates that he has never seen the Cube before. Assuming that he's not lying for some reason, this would mean that his attempt to study the Cube (as depicted in that flashback in Sentry/Fantastic Four) must take place sometime after FFWGCM. Unfortunately, I don't see any place in the Cube's chronology where this FB could fit. The only theory that I can come up with is that Reed actually secretly wished that the Cube would travel to the Sentry's Watchtower so he could study it there. This would mean that SENTRY/FF-FB would have to take place soon after FFWGCM 12 (and probably before FF 101) and that it was only after the Sentry blasted it with the E-Nullifer that the Cube (acting on its own?) returned to its proper place in the past (between TOS 81/2 and A 40). Is this idea at all workable?

Don Campbell
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

DonCampbell wrote: Also, Reed indicates that he has never seen the Cube before. Assuming that he's not lying for some reason, this would mean that his attempt to study the Cube (as depicted in that flashback in Sentry/Fantastic Four) must take place sometime after FFWGCM. Unfortunately, I don't see any place in the Cube's chronology where this FB could fit. The only theory that I can come up with is that Reed actually secretly wished that the Cube would travel to the Sentry's Watchtower so he could study it there. This would mean that SENTRY/FF-FB would have to take place soon after FFWGCM 12 (and probably before FF 101) and that it was only after the Sentry blasted it with the E-Nullifer that the Cube (acting on its own?) returned to its proper place in the past (between TOS 81/2 and A 40). Is this idea at all workable?
The other possibilty is that the mindwipe where everybody forgets about the Sentry takes place before FFWGCM. The Sentry mindwipe flashbacks feature Hank Pym as Giant-Man but it's been argued that this is either an error or a *deliberate* discontinuity. One argument against placing the Sentry mindwipe flashback before FFWGCM is that New Avengers 24 featured a reference to the Sentry helping the Inhumans against Red Ronin before the mindwipe- Red Ronin wasn't created until after FFWGCM. But that reference is problematic- the dialogue in New Avengers 24 seems to imply that Crystal and Sentry had an affair around the time of that fight before she married Pietro but Red Ronin wasn't created until after Crystal married Pietro.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Also, we don't know what an "E-Nullifier" does. I suppose it's possible that Reed forgot he examined the Cube in SENTRY/FF-FB and then saw it upclose again... for the first time! in FFWGCM.
-Daron Jensen