Marvel Collector's Edition (Charleston Chew)

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Marvel Collector's Edition (Charleston Chew)

Post by JephYork »

I plan to include this comic in Index v3 #2. It was a Charleston Chew giveaway: send in a candy wrapper and 50 cents, and they sent you this comic.

I'm not saying that it's definitely canon for MCP purposes, but for the Index, I want to give everyone in it chronologies *as if it were*. Can you guys help me generate chronologies really quickly? I'm hoping to get this in to Marvel sometime tomorrow.

This comic came out in mid-1992 -- ads on the backs of cover-dated Sep.-Oct '92 comics advertise it as if it was currently available.

STORY #1: SPIDER-MAN
Characters: Spider-Man, Mary Jane, the Eel
Clues: it's the anniversary of the day Peter and MJ first met ("you just hit the jackpot!"). The Eel just got out of jail on appeal. He goes right back to jail at the end. Spidey's looking for news to photograph.

STORY #2: SILVER SURFER
Characters: Silver Surfer
Clues: none, really. He comes across a woman fighting robots on some ruined planet, and helps her inspire a rebellion.

STORY #3: WOLVERINE
Characters: Wolverine, Jubilee
Clues: Wolvie is in his brown costume; Jubilee is in her blue and gold X-Men training uniform. They're using the Danger Room.

STORY #4: GHOST RIDER
Characters: Ghost Rider (Dan Ketch), Devil Grip, Mike "Mouse" McCormick (are these two new characters, or pre-existing?)
Clues: none, really. Dan's hanging out near his sister's grave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Marvel Collector's Edition (Charleston Chew)

Post by Jason Doty »

I believe Wolverine and Jubilee appear here between X-Men v2 no.3-4 (Wolverine stops using his brown uniform in no.4) and Jubilee is wearing the modified Jim Lee uniform, this could also come between X-Factor 70 and X-Men no.1, but if you want to keep it in 1992 I'd go with the above selection.

The only clue I can give you for Ghost Rider is that he's visiting his sister's grave at the cemetery in Brooklyn Ghost Rider's 1992 comics are 21-32.

Spider-Man and Eel somewhere between Amazing Spider-Man no.357-371in Manhattan, frigid rainy night the day before there anniversary.

Silver Surfer somewhere between 61 and 75 on planet Krell.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Jason Doty wrote:I believe Wolverine and Jubilee appear here between X-Men v2 no.3-4 (Wolverine stops using his brown uniform in no.4)
Actually, he stops wearing it in W2 #49, slightly before X #4. I knew what you meant, though.
if you want to keep it in 1992 I'd go with the above selection.
I feel no need to keep it in 1992 specifically. I just want to place it where it works best. Jubilee flips back and forth between her blue-and-gold outfit and her standard costume a few times in this period ... I'll have to do some research.
The only clue I can give you for Ghost Rider is that he's visiting his sister's grave at the cemetery in Brooklyn
...That's a clue *I* just gave *you*!
Ghost Rider's 1992 comics are 21-32.
Spider-Man and Eel somewhere between Amazing Spider-Man no.357-371
Silver Surfer somewhere between 61 and 75
Thanks. I assume that in all cases you're just listing off the 1992 range of comics?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I'm going to put the Wolvie story in-between W2 #47 and DLOK2 #4. In W #46-47, both Wolvie and Jubilee are wearing their standard costumes. In DLOK2 #4-5, they're both wearing the blue-and-gold X-costumes. I figure this issue, where Jube's in the blue-and-gold and Wolvie's in brown, could serve as a switchover point.

The Eel's chrono was easy; he doesn't make any appearances between 1990 (ASPOT #29/2) and 1993 (CA #411).

Paul, any clue where the anniversary of the day Peter met MJ (ASM #42) falls in this timeframe?

-Jeph!
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

I did an analysis of this, posted here in the forum some eons ago. Here it is again, with my take on it at the time.

MARVEL COLLECTOR'S EDITION #1 [1992]
-Cover with indicia lists "Marvel Collector's Edition, Presents: Spider-Man" and the flip cover has "Marvel Collector's Edition, Presents: Wolverine".
-Both have blurb, "Brought to you by Charleston Chew", which is how this issue was given away, via an offer for said candy company.
-Ad for the giveaway was featured in Marvel Comics for several months, earliest I can find off-hand was those cover dated Sept 1992.

Story 1:
The Amazing Spider-Man, "U Can't Touch...The Eel!"
Writer: Tony Isabella
Artist: Alan Kupperberg

Cast:
SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER (also in FB)
WATSON-PARKER, MARY JANE (FB only, BTS in main story)
EEL II/EDWARD LAVELL

Other characters:
Shop owner (FB only)
Couple o' Cops (one named Sgt. Demeo)

Summary: Spider-Man swings through the city one rainy night, ending up catching a cold, as he searches for a crime scene to take pictures of for the Bugle. It's the anniversary of when he first met his wife, and he's in need of money to buy a brooch she wants. Finally, after the rain is gone, he discovers the Eel robbing the precious valuables of some people vacationing in the Bahamas (as mentioned in the society column). Spidey halts his getaway, finding it tough to grab the slippery supervillain. So, a short fight ensues, webbing to electricity. Eventually, Spidey knocks Eel off the roof and webs up a net to save them. With only an hour until the webbing dissolves, our hero convinces the villain to take off his costume to keep from eventually plummetting to his doom. Soon, the naked Eel, with only webbing for underwear, swears vengeance against Spidey as he's led away by the police, his costume and stolen goods in tow. With a few pics of the humiliated Eel, Spider-Man swings away, wondering when the jewelry shop will open. As explained in the narration, his cold won't go away for weeks and he ends up giving it Mary Jane.

Flashback: Earlier that afternoon, Peter and MJ visited a jewelry shop, where she tried on an Atimor original brooch, but refused to let her husband buy the expensive item.

There's also a one-panel FB to the Pete/MJ "You've hit the jackpot" moment we all know and love, but nothing new with it.

Continuity notes: It's the anniversary of the first time Peter met Mary Jane. They're married in this story, of course.

Eel has recently been released from prison.

This marks the first time Spider-Man and the second Eel have encountered one another, a fact that's mentioned by the characters. Thus, this has to be prior to WOSM 98, when they "next" encounter one another.

Goofs: In one of the panels, Spidey shoots what looks like purple jelly at Eel, and the next panel, it's drawn correctly to be his standard webbing. Was Welsh's or Smucker's originally going to sponsor the book or something?!

Calendar notes: Night starts with heavy rain that passes, and leaves clear skies with a full moon.

--------------
Story 2:
The Silver Surfer, "The Leader"
Writer: George Carragonne
Artist: Nelson

Cast:
SILVER SURFER/NORRIN RADD

Other characters:
Alas Longrun (girl from Krell and Light Raiders member)
Krellians
Silicon Hosts

Summary: Silver Surfer visits the planet Krell, where once great spires of diamond and obsidian stood and have now crumbled. He discovers life still exists, meeting a young woman named Alas Longrun. She's the last living member of the Light Raiders, freedom fighters who rebel against the machines that now rule Krell and enslave the organic beings they once served. Alas wishes for the Surfer to aid her in retaking the planet from these Silicon Hosts, but he refuses, since it was their fault the planet was taken over by their own techology, and it should be they who undo it. His refusal does just as he'd hoped, inspiring Alas to fight the robots as they attack, though Silver Surfer soon steps in to help out, reminding her she'll never stand alone. Fellow organics watch the battle, failing to see the Surfer, and are given new hope by the incredible success the last Light Raider has against the Silicon Hosts. Alas is hailed as their new leader, with a new band of rebels to fight against the machines. The Surfer departs back to space.

Flashback: Alas tells the Surfer of Krell's history, how their technology grew faster than their own wisdom and led to their enslavement, which then led to a war against the machines "100 winters ago".

Continuity notes: Silver Surfer doesn't serve Galactus anymore, meaning it's a modern day tale.

The final panel has the face of Eternity visible in the edge of the spacefield. But would it count as an appearance of him since he does nor says anything? U Decide!

--------------
Story 3:
Wolverine! in, "Gimme a Break"
Plot: Richard Howell
Script: Larry Hama
Art: Sam Kieth

Cast:
WOLVERINE/"LOGAN"/JAMES HOWLETT
JUBILEE/JUBILATION LEE

Summary: Wolverine and Jubilee have just finished an intense workout in the Danger Room. While cleaning up some of the debris from their exercise, Jubilee accidentally sets off the damaged control circuits, causing the room to reactivate... at maximum threat capacity! Wolverine takes most of the full brunt of the attacks, though Jubilee ends up knocked out with a sprained ankle when trying to help Logan. This helps to inspire Wolverine in his finishing off of the room's final assault, a large robot thing with vise-clamp hands. Following his berserker rage and claw-slashing, the room is finally gets deactivated. Later, Jubiliee is in the infirmary, bemoaning the fact she was felled simply by tripping on some debris.

Continuity notes: Wolverine is wearing his brown costume. Jubilee is wearing the yellow & blue school uniform. This places things prior to adjectiveless Wolverine 50/X-Men 4.

Goofs: Wolverine claims his healing factor can knit together his "broken ribs and perforated innards". Even the story quiz at the end points out how he must have been exaggerating, given his metal skeleton.

--------------
Story 4:
Ghost Rider in, "You've Got to Have Friends"
Writer: Howard A. Mackie
Penciler: John Hebert
Inker: Jimmy Palmiotti

Cast:
GHOST RIDER III/NOBLE KALE
KETCH, DANIEL "DANNY"
DEVIL GRIP

Other characters:
McCormick, Mike "Mouse"

Summary: A young boy named Mike, but nicknamed Mouse for his lack of courage, takes a job with a local tough guy named Devil Grip. He sticks his nose where it doesn't belong and finds out some details about Devil Grip's operation, sending him fleeing from the large, leather-clad brute. While running for his life, he ends up in Cypress Hills Cemetery, and bumps into local boy, Daniel Ketch. Getting some of his innocent blood on him, Dan soon transforms to Ghost Rider, and takes on Devil Grip, putting him down for good with a dose of the Penance Stare. On the way to the hospital, Ghost Rider rides through the neighborhood with Mike on his motorcycle, showing the kids who ostracized him up by having the Spirit of Vengeance as a friend.

Continuity notes: Dan is visiting Barbara Ketch's grave. Dan's doing well, so it must also be prior to GR3 25, or after GR3 32.

------------------------------------

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER
S-M 23
**M/CE 1-FB
**M/CE 1
WOSM 84

EEL II/EDWARD LAVELL
ASPOT 29/2
**M/CE 1
CA 412

SILVER SURFER/NORRIN RADD
SS3 75
**M/CE 1/2
SS: HOMECOMING

WOLVERINE/"LOGAN"/JAMES HOWLETT
DLOK2 5
**M/CE 1/3

JUBILEE/JUBILATION LEE
DLOK2 5
**M/CE 1/3
M/CP 89/4

GHOST RIDER III/NOBLE KALE
GR3 32
**M/CE 1/4
DRSTR3 50

KETCH, DANIEL "DANNY"
GR3 32
**M/CE 1/4
DRSTR3 50-BTS

**DEVIL GRIP/
M/CE 1/4
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Starting with a rough September 1992 cover date, if I had to choose between moving this book *forward* in various characters' chronologies to find an appropriate slot, or moving it *backwards* -- I'd prefer to move it backwards. Given Wolvie's brown costume, which had been phased out nine months before this issue was released, I tend to assume that the stories were created long before the book's release.

Therefore, I'd personally prefer to slot Ghost Rider's appearance here sometime before GR #25. Does between M/CP #118/3 and GR #24 work?

-Jeph!
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

JephYork wrote:Therefore, I'd personally prefer to slot Ghost Rider's appearance here sometime before GR #25. Does between M/CP #118/3 and GR #24 work?
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I sent a reply this morning, but lo and behold, it's not here. So here I go again...

That famous scene in ASM 42 occurs in early November of Peter Parker's freshman year of college. My calendar analysis of comics from the mid-1990s is far from complete, and I haven't gone back to my notes in quite some time, but I don't believe any of the comics published in 1992 are set during that time of year in the grand scheme of things. We'd probably have to go back to 1991 comics to get the timing right. PPTSS 173 occurs on Christmas Eve. Spidey's last appearance before that is ASM 347, in which snow is seen in Pittsburgh, so perhaps before then. ASM 344 shows bare trees during the college year. Perhaps the Charleston Chew Spidey story occurs around then?
Paul B.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Hmm. ASM #344 is dated February 1991, eighteen full months before this issue came out. I'm kind of wary of pushing it *that* far out of publication sequence.

Then again, we're pushing the Wolvie story 10 months back, and the Ghost Rider story 5 months back. So maybe it's not a big deal. I'll have to think about this...

Thanks for the pointer!

-Jeph!

EDIT: Ah, what the heck. I ran with it, placing it just before ASM #344, and submitted it to Marvel just now. If we decide otherwise in the meantime, we can tweak it at PDF-editing time...