Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Birdwatchers! Help me identify birds!

Post by JephYork »

Another goofball Index question...

Wolverine: Global Jeopardy, a 1993 one-shot produced in conjunction with the World Wildlife Fund, featured lots and lots of animals in the backgrounds of the story. I've identified most of them, except a bunch of different kinds of birds. Are there any bird experts out there who can help me figure out what these are?

Here are the birdies in question...

Thanks in advance!

-Jeph!
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Birdwatchers! Help me identify birds!

Post by wolframbane »

Are these birds from the Savage Land or Africa or some other country?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Anywhere and everywhere. The villain of the issue is teleporting animals to his island so he can "conserve" them.

His stated plan was to save endangered animals -- so maybe these birds are endangered? But I don't think *all* the animals on his island were endangered, so I don't know if we can narrow the field down that way.

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

The top one looks like a passenger pigeon. I was kind of searching extinct birds and it appears that one disappeared in the early 1900's, I'm unsure about the other two.
John Simons
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by John Simons »

I realize this falls under the category of "well who asked ya?", but this is so not the kind of information I'm looking for in the index series. I'd be so much more into lengthier "Notes" sections with behind-the-scenes and continuity info, and maybe larger reproduction of covers, over listings of what kind of birds appear in the issue. :outtahere:
"Jessica, whatever you do...don't contradict the continuity! They'll eat you alive! They'll. Eat. You. Alive!"
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

One doesn't preclude the other, though, does it? Why can't I try to do both? ;)

Normally I *would* just say "birds," but this issue features 16 pages of photos and text about endangered species, some of which appear in-story. The entire point of the book is to draw attention to endangered animals -- and the birds and other creatures were obviously drawn into the story deliberately. The issue's jam-packed with animals of all kinds in almost an easter-egg fashion. I figured in this case it was worth the effort to try to identify them.

-Jeph!