Geraldo Rivera

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Geraldo Rivera

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Geraldo Rivera appears on TV in BLAZE 3. I know he's mentioned in GR3 70, but does he make any actual appearances anywhere else?
Paul B.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Geraldo Rivera

Post by Michael »

He appears in UX 99.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

So he does! Thanks, Michael. And the X-Men Index places him in ASM 117 before that. So far we have...

RIVERA, GERALDO
ASM 117
UX 99
BLAZE 3

I wouldn't be surprised if he made other appearances. Does anyone else know a comic in which he appeared?
Paul B.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

X-Men Annual #2
http://www.comicvine.com/the-x-men-annu ... /37-90585/

Classic X-Men #7 (reprint of UX 99)

Count Duckula #8 (probably not canon)
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.co ... vealed-83/
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

The reference to Rivera in X@ 2 is Cyclops stating that Jonathan Chambers once got hit by a chair on the Geraldo Show. No actual or BTS appearance here. Thanks for checking, though, wolframbane!

Any other sightings?
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Is looking for another another Geraldo appearance like looking into Al Capone's vaults?
Paul B.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Well, Geraldo was looking for Al Capone's tomb in Count Duckula #8. Just mentioning it in case the reason you were looking for it was because you knew there was an Al Capone's tomb issue and you couldn't place it but overlooked the Count Duckula #8 issue because you thought it was non-canon. Or not.
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Peter Fabricius »

He is in Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #60 and Mary Jane talks to him in Amazing Spider-Man #304, but he can't be identified in the crowd
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I confirm Geraldo's appearance in PPTSS 60. I don't own ASM 304, and the ASM Index notes that Rivera is "mentioned only," not even a BTS appearance. Peter, can you describe this scene to determine if we're seeing an actual or BTS appearance? Thanks.
Paul B.
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Peter Fabricius »

Sure.

Mary Jane is saying "Geraldo! Hi! Saw your special last Week! Super!"
She is adressing someone in a group of people at a party, and everybody is barely more than a stick-figure in the panel. There is no way to identify anyone directly.
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

So the question is whether we attribute the identity of one of those figures to Geraldo. If M.J. is directly addressing the crowd so it's unlikely that Geraldo is off-panel, then I suppose this counts as an actual appearance. Thoughts?
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Unless M.J. is pretending to talk to Geraldo and he's not really there at all, he has to make some kind of appearance here, whether its an actual or a BTS appearance. The question remains: which type of appearance is it?

If M.J. is facing the group of on-panel people while addressing Geraldo, I think we can presume he's one of the stick figures and thus makes an actual (if indistinguishable) appearance. If M.J. is facing off-panel, then Geraldo is BTS. Yes?
Paul B.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Paul Bourcier wrote:If M.J. is facing the group of on-panel people while addressing Geraldo, I think we can presume he's one of the stick figures and thus makes an actual (if indistinguishable) appearance. If M.J. is facing off-panel, then Geraldo is BTS. Yes?
Actually, for our purposes, the distinction would be between an actual appearance, and off-panel, or OP. OP is when the character is there, on scene, but literally off-panel. The example I've used before is Thing, eating dinner, saying, "Hey, Torch, would you pass the salt?" Johnny would be OP.

Incidentally, here's the appearance hierarchy:
1. Actual
2. VO (voice-over)
3. OP (off-panel)
4. BTS (behind-the-scenes)
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks for the clarification, Russ. So, are we talking ASM 304 or ASM 304-OP for Geraldo?
Paul B.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

When Peter says this:
Peter Fabricius wrote:everybody is barely more than a stick-figure in the panel. There is no way to identify anyone directly.
He's including Mary Jane in "everybody."

Imagine a photo taken from the top of a skyscraper that includes a mass of people on the sidewalk below. Mary Jane is no more distinguishable than anyone else; there's no one to tell which way she's facing.

Having said that, I believe the illustration is meant to encompass everyone present. If Geraldo were off-panel, he would be too far away for Mary Jane to address. I would go with an actual on-screen appearance. That may differ from the Index, but that's simply because our definition of the terms is different. It may also upset someone who wants to collect every Geraldo appearance, and is disappointed when they buy the book and discover the nature of the app, but such is life. Simply put, Geraldo is there, and our edict is clear.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe