New Mutant Additions

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

captamr
Hero
Hero

New Mutant Additions

Post by captamr »

In New Mutants # 82, there are a few panels with Freedom Force capturing Rusty and Skids. Only Mystique, Blob, and Pyro are present. This leaves the remaining members of the Force off panel from # 80or BTS:

DESTINY II/IRENE ADLER
NM 78
*NM 80 - BTS
*NM 82 - BTS
UX 254

CRIMSON COMMANDO/FRANK BOHANNAN
NM 80
*NM 82 - BTS
*UX 255-BTS (remove, see below)
NM 86

AVALANCHE/DOMINIC PETROS
NM 80
*NM 82 - BTS (changed from NM 82)
UX 255

In UX 255, Mystique specifically notes that the Crimson Commando, Super Sabre, and Spiral are "on another mission", so I'm not sure that Commando and Sabre can be BTS. Spiral is mentioned but not listed as BTS:

SUPER SABRE/MARTIN FLETCHER
NM 78
*UX 255-BTS (remove)
M/CP 86/2-BTS

In New Mutants #83 Hela possesses Mirage in Asgard and tells her to "take thy horse", winged and also possessed to aid in capturing the Mutants. Mirage calls her horse by name "Nightwind" - an obvious mistake for Brightwind. Mirage is listed and Brightwind should also:

BRIGHTWIND
NM 80
*NM 83
*NM 84
*NM 85
XFOR 41

And to complete the animal slight, New Mutants # 84 has the flying goats of Asgard:

TOOTHGNASHER, TOOTHGRINDER
T 366
*NM 84
T2 30
Charlie
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: New Mutant Additions

Post by Michael »

Doesn't a "so-and-so is away on another mission" reference count as a BTS?
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I believe Mirage began calling Brightwind "Nightwind" after Hela's spell on the Valkyries scorched him black. This should probably be an "aka".
"May the Light shine forever!"
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Brightwind became Darkwind, actually.

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

I went over these proposed additions and don't necessarily agree. Why would the rest of Freedom Force have to be off panel or behind the scenes? They have lives of their own outside of their team.

NM 80- We see Blob, Mystique & Pyro surrounding Rusty & Skids on Liberty Island. Avalanche & Crimson Commando arrive in a helicopter. This is after their first helicopter got blown up and they dropped into the ocean in NM 78. Destiny could have simply stayed wherever they got the new helicopter from to dry off & warm up and not bothered to come with Avalanche & Crimson Commando. It's possible she came with them and stayed in the helicopter but she's not shown or mentioned in dialogue so does she really deserve an OP or BTS?

NM 82- We see again, Blob, Mystique & Pyro surrounding Rusty & Skids. Mystique says they've been trapped "for hours" (which means it's been hours since their capture on Liberty Island in NM 78). They're in a prison which "ain't no wimpy naval prison" according to Blob (we find out it's a "maximum security federal prison" (which is NOT the Vault) in NM 83). There is no sign of any of the rest of Freedom Force and no mention of them. Since it's hours later and a different location, why do you feel Destiny, Crimson Commando & Avalanche deserve a BTS? I'd mentioned in a previous post a long time back that Avalanche should have this issue removed from his listing because he does not appear and isn't mentioned.

Thanks Jeph, I knew his name had changed but I forgot it was Darkwind. I still think that "Nightwind" wasn't a mistake and was intentional. I think Hela's spell on Mirage made her change his name to Nightwind while they were under it's influence and should be added as to his listing as an "AKA" along with Darkwind.
captamr
Hero
Hero

Post by captamr »

metaldragon wrote:NM 80- We see Blob, Mystique & Pyro surrounding Rusty & Skids on Liberty Island. Avalanche & Crimson Commando arrive in a helicopter. This is after their first helicopter got blown up and they dropped into the ocean in NM 78. Destiny could have simply stayed wherever they got the new helicopter from to dry off & warm up and not bothered to come with Avalanche & Crimson Commando. It's possible she came with them and stayed in the helicopter but she's not shown or mentioned in dialogue so does she really deserve an OP or BTS?

NM 82- We see again, Blob, Mystique & Pyro surrounding Rusty & Skids. Mystique says they've been trapped "for hours" (which means it's been hours since their capture on Liberty Island in NM 78). They're in a prison which "ain't no wimpy naval prison" according to Blob (we find out it's a "maximum security federal prison" (which is NOT the Vault) in NM 83). There is no sign of any of the rest of Freedom Force and no mention of them. Since it's hours later and a different location, why do you feel Destiny, Crimson Commando & Avalanche deserve a BTS? I'd mentioned in a previous post a long time back that Avalanche should have this issue removed from his listing because he does not appear and isn't mentioned.
I would concur that the problem lies in NM 82. If the "hours" that past and the new location mean that the others have moved on, then those 3 members of Freedom Force should not be counted. However, Avalanche and Commando returned in the helicopter and on site for the removal of Rusty and Skids. In the final panel of their appearance on Liberty Island, Mystique says "lift the slab gently, Blob, and carry them to the chopper." There's only one chopper and one would assume they all rode together to the prison. Now, once they got there, "hours later", have they left and gone their separate ways at a prison without the others?

The argument for Destiny should follow easily. She's along on the mission and goes down in the first chopper. On many occasions before, Destiny always plays a more defensive position and never leads in the offensive moves of the team. It would seem she would remain in the chopper while Avalanche and Commando fire the laser cannon and thereby still there when they transport Rusty and Skids to the prison.

But again, it all depends on whether "hours" and a different location mean that they are no longer BTS.

Regardless, Avalanche's listing needs to be corrected and agree totally with the AKA for Brightwind.
Charlie
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Since these characters don't effect the plot at all and, as I said, aren't mentioned in dialogue, do they really merit OP or BTS placements here?

I agree that it's most likely that in NM 80 Destiny is probably sitting in the helicopter, since it's unlikely Avalanche and Crimson Commando would leave her behind but she's not shown on panel and she isn't mentioned so should NM 80 really be added to her listing as a BTS?

As for NM 82, Skids has been keeping her forcefield around herself and Rusty so long that she finally collapses from fatigue. Since she'd lived with her forcefield on all the time for a few years since her power manifested, she probably has a lot of endurance, so it could literally be hours since they were captured. I'm pretty sure Mystique only needed Pyro to control Rusty's flame and Blob for muscle to keep watch on them and allowed the rest of the team to leave.