Name that robot!

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Name that robot!

Post by JephYork »

More Index identity queries, this time on the Marvel Universe's many robots!

In W2 #140 and #149, Wolvie fought a villain called the Reanimator who could control robots. Just like his previous arc, which was packed full of alien cameos, writer Erik Larsen packed these two issues with pre-existing MU robots. I've identified quite a few, but I could use some help on the rest. Who's game for some robot-spotting?

Robots #1-8 -- the big guy at top right is the Spider-Slayer Mark II, and in front of him is the Robot from Lost in Space. That's a Magneto robot's body and legs in the top right-hand corner ... but who's the little guy peering out from behind Magneto?

Dead center is another Spider-Slayer -- Mark III or Mark IV, I think. (Anybody know which?) But who are the three robots to the left?

Robot #9 -- anyone know who this tank-treaded fellow is?

Robots #10-16 -- that's an homage to Optimus Prime at the top ... but how about the others? I'm especially curious about the guy in front with "UC" or "JC" on his chest.

Robot #17 -- this guy looks vaguely familiar, but I can't really recall from where.

Robots #18-24 -- here's the Reanimator's warehouse of salavaged robots. The Cap, Iron Man and Thor robots are immediately identifiable. I recognize the Quintronic Man at the bottom left, and the green one next to him seems to be a Spider-Slayer Mark V. The big blue one is identified as the Fourth Sleeper in a recent OHOTMU hardcover. But what's the big bulky thing behind it? We only see its round leg, or whatever that thing is ... does it ring any bells?

Robots #25-30 -- here's the other half of this 2-page spread. That's the Big Wheel's wheel in the back (though I wouldn't call it a "robot"). In front of that are the Living Stiletto, a Thing robot, a Sentinel, Tomazooma, Impact 739 ... but what about those green legs in the very back? It's a longshot, but do they look familiar to anyone?

Robot #31 -- two views of this guy, neither very good. I think he's Android Man.

Image Image

Robot #32 -- hiding behind a sound effect is another Spider-Slayer. I'm thinking Mark VI, but I have very little to base that on.

Robot #33 -- decapitated by Wolverine. Look familiar?

Robot #34 -- we get quite a few views of this guy. Does he ring any bells?

Image Image Image Image

#34 is also on the right in both of these shots. On the left of the first one, I think we've got the Spider-Slayer Mark V again ... but the guy on the left of the second shot may be Robot #35 (see below).

Image Image

Robot #35 -- see above? He's got little spikes coming out of his head.

Robot #36 -- another victim of Wolverine.

Robots #37-39 -- I'm thinking that the first two are the Sentinel and the tank-treaded guy from #140 (aka "Robot #9") -- but who's the one on the right? We do see the Spider-Slayer Mark I earlier in this issue (I didn't show him here, since I knew who he was) -- but this guy's not the right shape, and has the wrong legs. Any other thoughts who he might be?

As always, thanks in advance for all the help!

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Name that robot!

Post by Jason Doty »

Jeph Wrote
"... but who's the little guy peering out from behind Magneto?"

I think that is Johnny 5 from the Short Circuit movies.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote: Robots #1-8 -- the big guy at top right is the Spider-Slayer Mark II, and in front of him is Robbie the Robot from Lost in Space. That's a Magneto robot's body and legs in the top right-hand corner ... but who's the little guy peering out from behind Magneto?

Dead center is another Spider-Slayer -- Mark III or Mark IV, I think. (Anybody know which?) But who are the three robots to the left?
Mark IV was the one with Spencer Smythe inside it, right? That robot doesn't look big enough to have a person inside it. I think it's supposed to be Mark III.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I don't know -- it's behind Magneto's legs and still pretty big, but maybe not big enough for a person. How big was Mark III?

Also, was there ever more than one of a given Spider-Slayer? Later in W2 #140, we see *two* of that one.

-Jeph!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

JephYork wrote:Robots #1-8 -- the big guy at top right is the Spider-Slayer Mark II, and in front of him is the Robot from Lost in Space.

-Jeph!
Cute. You corrected that while I was correcting you. Grrrr.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

JephYork wrote:I don't know -- it's behind Magneto's legs and still pretty big, but maybe not big enough for a person. How big was Mark III?
Here's a picture of Mark III next to Spidey- check out the second scan on this page:
http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronoco ... _107.shtml
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Cool; I'll call it Mark III and claim that the second one seen with it later is Mark VI. Thanks.

The Official Handbook entry on the Sleepers confirms that the blue guy in the warehouse scene is the Fourth Sleeper -- and someone else tipped me off that the "737" guy is Impact 739. I guess I misread his nametag. I've edited the OP to add both factoids.

-Jeph!
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

#10-16 one of them has a lightsaber, so Star Wars robot?

#17 looks like a Simonson design or something I saw in New Mutants or X-Factor (in the 80s)

#36 looks like a Byrne design (Nanny? an Arcade robot?)