Valkyrie in Avengers #83

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

scottandrewhutchins
Big Bad
Big Bad

Valkyrie in Avengers #83

Post by scottandrewhutchins »

I sent potentially erroneous data to comicbookdb.com based on chronologyproject , but I wanted to check to see if there had been a retcon. You say that Samantha Parrington is the Valkyrie in this issue, but I just read it, and as far as any content in the issue itself goes, it's the Enchantress. Is there a later issue that altered this? I have Incredible Hulk #142, but I don't currently have access to it.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Valkyrie in Avengers #83

Post by Col_Fury »

From the recent Avengers Index:
Avengers #83 wrote:Valkyrie (Brunnhilde, former Asgardian leader of Valkyrior, essence empowering Enchantress, 1st but chr last in Defenders #108 (1982), next in Incredible Hulk #142 (1971))
NOTE: Valkyrie's real name is revealed in Defenders #66 (1978). Valkyrie's account of her origin is revealed as the Enchantress' lie.
-Daron Jensen
scottandrewhutchins
Big Bad
Big Bad

OK. I have thgat issue and have read it, but again no access. Does that issue say it's Parrington?
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Maybe this will make things clearer. In the 1970's, there were three different versions of the "Valkyrie" character. All three Valkries had the exact same appearance and they all possessed the power of the true Valkyrie (Brunhilde) but the physical bodies involved were totally different.

1. A character calling herself the Valkyrie first appeared in AVENGERS #83 but was revealed to be a disguised Enchantress later in that same issue.
2. The Valkyrie next appeared in INCREDIBLE HULK #142. This character was Samantha Parrington whom the Enchantress had transformed into a duplicate of her previous disguise. Decades later, Parrington became the Valkyrie again during the short-lived second Defenders series.
3. The Valkyrie next appeared in DEFENDERS #4 where the insane Barbara Norris was transformed by the Enchantress. Years later, the Valkyrie learned that she was a real person (Brunhilde) and not just a persona created by the Enchantress. And several years after that, Brunhilde's soul was finally reunited with her own Asgardian body after her mortal host was killed.

Don Campbell
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

To add to what Don and Daron have said:

comicbookdb.com is in error. No Samantha in Avengers #83. Samantha first appears in IHulk #142.

Brunhilde is present, in as much as her essence is empowering Enchantress. Basically, her soul is there (and then empowering Samantha in IHulk #142), but unlike when she inhabits the body of and empowers Samantha and then the mad Barbara Norriss (two rs, two esses), she's effectively asleep and someone else (Amora) is in the driving seat.
scottandrewhutchins
Big Bad
Big Bad

Comicbookdb is not in error. I submitted the error after seeing it here in ChronologyProject. I have since removed it on Comicbookdb, but Avengers #83 is absent from Brunnhilde's appearances here and present on Parrington's appearances here.