Thor in Avenging/Amazing Spider-Man

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thor in Avenging/Amazing Spider-Man

Post by Col_Fury »

Thor appears in Avenging Spider-Man #1, alongside Captain America in his Super-Soldier uniform. Also, Spider-Man has his spider-sense back (Spider-Island is mentioned as to when he got it back, so this isn't before he lost it).

Captain America stopped wearing his Super-Soldier uniform and resumed being Captain America during Fear Itself.

Thor "died" in Fear Itself.

Spider-Man didn't get his spider-sense back until Spider-Island, which is after Fear Itself. Also, Captain America was wearing his Super-Soldier uniform during Spider-Island, so we shouldn't worry too much about his uniform in Avenging Spider-Man #1.

Hawkeye wears his new uniform in Avenging Spider-Man #4, and wears his old uniform in #5. Hawkeye says in #5 that his new suit is in the wash. So there's another reason to ignore the Super-Soldier uniform in #1; Cap's regular suit was in the wash or something.

Thor appears again in ASM #682-683 (Ends of the Earth).

I'm terribly behind in reading Thor. When does he come back?

Avenging Spider-Man #8 is going to be a Ends of the Earth aftermath, so Avenging Spider-Man #1-7 have to happen at least before ASM #682.

Given Thor, how does Avenging Spider-Man line up with recent issues of Amazing Spider-Man? Is all of #1-7 between ASM #681-682?
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Thor in Avenging/Amazing Spider-Man

Post by Paul Bourcier »

As you note, Spidey has his spider-sense in Avenging Spider-Man #1, so that issue must occur after Amazing Spider-Man #673. ASM 674-675 occur "a week" after ASM 673.

Hawkeye appears in his old costume in Avengers Academy #21. "Days" later, in Avengers Academy #22, Hawkeye appears in his new costume. I'm thinking that AvAc 21 is the last regular appearance of the old costume and AvAc 22 is the first chronological appearance of the new costume (which is referred to as "new" in Secret Avengers #21.1, an issue I believe occurs a little later).

Avenging Spider-Man #1-3 shows Hawkeye's old costume, so it must occur before AvAc 22 and likely before AvAc 21. Avenging Spider-Man #4 shows Hawkeye's new costume, so it must occur after AvAc 21 and likely after AvAc 22.

Avenging Spider-Man #5 shows the roster of Avengers prior to the addition of Storm, Vision, and Quake in Avengers v5 #19 (which, by the way, shows Hawkeye's new costume).

Avengers v5 #20-23 crosses over with New Avengers v2 #17, 19-23. Daredevil joins the New Avengers in NA2 19.

Amazing Spider-Man #677 probably occurs after New Avengers v2 #23, since dialog in ASM 677 suggests that Daredevil has already joined the Avengers.

So the first five issues of AvSM must occur between ASM 673 and ASM 677. I'm inclined to place those issues between ASM 676-677.

Avenging Spider-Man #6 crosses over with Punisher v9 #10 and Daredevil v3 #11. I suppose some clues about the placement of AvSM 6 may come from Daredevil's chronology between his own book and New Avengers. Are there clues in the DD3 series?

I don't have enough clues yet to place Avenging Spider-Man #7.

Okay, so what about Thor? He returns to the Avengers in a flashback in Avengers v5 #25. At least it appears he's returning to the group for the first time here. But wait! That same flashback shows the post-A5 19 roster including Vision and Storm, as well as Hawkeye's new costume. So how can A5 25-FB occur before Thor's appearance in AvSM 1? And consider this -- in A5 25-FB, the Supreme Intelligence orders Noh-Varr to intercept and contain the approaching Phoenix Force, so that FB should occur not long before the current Avengers vs. X-Men crossover.

Thor must appear in AvSM 1 after returning from the dead in Mighty Thor #8-12 and likely after MT 12.1 and MT 13-14, which I think follow on the heels of MT 12. But he's only seen here with the Avengers in a battle that takes place in the western U.S. Perhaps he only joined them for this battle during a period in which he's busy with affairs in Asgardia/Oklahoma. Perhaps he doesn't return for good until A5 25-FB. After that, Thor appears in Avengers Assemble #1-4+ and ASM 683-684 (Ends of the Earth). And then we have AVX.
Paul B.