Werner von Strucker and Dead Man's Hand

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Werner von Strucker and Dead Man's Hand

Post by DonCampbell »

I've noticed that some appearances of the minor character Werner von Strucker have been overlooked by the Project (and Wikipedia and the Marvel Comics Database). I've also found some errors in the chronologies of some characters who participated in the "Dead Man's Hand" crossover.

First, let's start with Werner von Strucker, Baron Strucker's supposedly-good (but not really) son who was involved in the Gnobian storyline that started the second NICK FURY, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. series. Unlike what the afore-mentioned resources claim, he did not first appear in the DMH storyline (where he was killed by his own father). Instead, he showed up as an unnamed blond man in NF3 1, then skipped issue #2, and returned in issues #3-6. He identified himself in issue #3 and issue #6 contained a FB that took place before the events in NF3 1. Also, he made two additional appearances in the DMH crossover that the Project has mistakenly attributed to his half-brother, Andreas Strucker. Finally, a photograph of Werner's corpse appeared in NF3 46.

Here's my revised chronology for him:

VON STRUCKER, WERNER
*NF3 6 - FB
*{NF3 1}
*NF3 3
*NF3 4
*NF3 5
*NF3 6
NF3 14
DD 307
NOM2 4
*PWJ 45
NOM2 5
*PWJ 46
DD 308
DD 309
*NF3 46 - FB?

Next, let's look at the "Dead Man's Hand" crossover. Almost all the listings for the three heroes (Daredevil, Nomad III, Punisher II) are correct. The only error is in Nomad III's chronology, where NOM2 6 should come before PWJ 47 (not after).

As for the villains in this crossover, there are several corrections that should be made.

1. As revealed in Daredevil #309, Baron Wolfgang von Strucker had spent most of the crossover disguised as Werner's bodyguard, a man named "Snakeskin" (or just "Snake"). This bodyguard certainly appeared (unnamed) in PWJ 46 and may have appeared in NOM2 5 (on page 15) but I can't be sure of that last one.

BARON STRUCKER/WOLFGANG VON STRUCKER
. . .
DD 307
*NOM2 5?
*PWJ 46
DD 308
DD 309
. . .

2. Silvermane made two additional appearances in the crossover that have been overlooked by the Project. Sure, in one of them he was shown lying unconscious under some rubble for one panel but that still counts.

SILVERMANE/SILVIO MANFREDI
. . .
DD 307
*NOM2 4 (page 12)
PWJ 45
PWJ 46
DD 308
*PWJ 46 (panel 2 on page 20)
. . .

3. Andreas Strucker is mistakenly listed as appearing in PWJ 45-46 when it is actually Werner in those issues.

STRUCKER, ANDREAS
. . .
DD 307
NOM2 4
*PWJ 45 – remove
*PWJ 46 – remove
NOM2 5
DD 308
DD 309
PWJ 47
. . .

Don Campbell
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Werner von Strucker and Dead Man's Hand

Post by Russ Chappell »

DonCampbell wrote: Next, let's look at the "Dead Man's Hand" crossover. The only error is in Nomad III's chronology, where NOM2 6 should come before PWJ 47 (not after).
Don,

You've been doing this long enough to know that you can't just come in and say, "Nomad's chronology is wrong. Change it." Tell us why you think it's wrong.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

I think what Don meant is that since NOM2 6 is part 8 of Dead Man's Hand and PWJ 47 is part 9 of Dead Man's Hand, NOM2 6 has to take place before PWJ 47.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Michael wrote:I think what Don meant is that since NOM2 6 is part 8 of Dead Man's Hand and PWJ 47 is part 9 of Dead Man's Hand, NOM2 6 has to take place before PWJ 47.
That's correct. Throughout most of the crossover, Daredevil, Nomad and Punisher had pursued their separate adventures with only two of them (in three different combinations: DD + N, N + P, DD + P) encountering each other during the first six parts. However, the crossover ended with all three teaming up in the final three parts. As such, all three chronologies should contain the following sequence: DD 309 => NOM2 6 => PWJ 47

The listings for Daredevil and Punisher II do have this sequence but the listing for Nomad III has this instead:
DD 309 => PWJ 47 => NOM2 6

Still, Russ is correct in that I should have explained why Nomad's chronology should be changed. My apologies.

Don Campbell
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I've been meaning to address Werner's early appearances but never got around to it. I can verify Don's findings. Thanks Don!

I agree that Werner should have his "appearance" in NF3 46 listed in his chronology. NF3 46-FB works for me.
-Daron Jensen