Star-Lord

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Star-Lord

Post by Somebody »

Had this on my hard drive for yoinks and yoinks, awaiting a chance to write it up in full. It never came, and with Bendis taking over the character in GotG, I thought it best just to post it and be done. I'll answer any questions to follow...

STAR-LORD/PETER JASON QUILL [HUMAN]
{M/PRV 4} (2-3)
M/SPT2 6 (4:1)-FB
M/PRV 4 (4:1-4:4)
M/SPT2 6 (4:2)-FB
M/PRV 4 (4:5-8:7)
M/SPT2 6 (6:1-6:4)-FB
M/PRV 4 (9:3-11:4)-FB
M/PRV 4 (9:1-9:2,11:5-14:1)
M/SPT2 6 (6:5)-FB
M/PRV 4 (14:2-17:1)
M/SPT2 6 (8:1)-FB
M/PRV 4 (17:2-26)
M/PRV 15 (16:3)-FB
M/PRV 4 (27:1-32:3)
M/PRV 15 (16:6)-FB
M/SPT2 6-FB (11:8-12:3)
M/PRV 4 (32:4)
M/SPT2 6 (12:5)-FB
M/PRV 11
M/PRV 14
M/PRV 15
M/PRV 18
M/SS 10
M/SPT2 6
M/SPT2 7
M/PRM 61
STARLORD:SE
[...]

SHIP/"CARYTH HAYLAN"/'RORA [FORMER STAR]
M/PRV 15 (13-16:3)-FB
M/PRV 4-OP
M/PRV 15 (16:4-16:5)-FB
M/PRV 4-OP
M/SPT2 6 (11:8-12:5)-FB
{M/PRV 11}
M/PRV 14
M/PRV 15
M/PRV 18
M/SS 10
M/SPT2 6
M/SPT2 7
M/PRM 61
[...]

QUILL, MERIDETH [HUMAN]
M/PRV 11 (49-49:3)-FB
M/SPT2 6 (3:2)-FB
M/PRV 11 (49:4-49:5)-FB
M/SPT2 6 (3:3-3:4)-FB
M/PRV 11 (49:6-50:3)-FB
{M/PRV 4 (2-3)}
M/SPT2 6 (4:1)-FB
M/PRV 4 (4-8)

RRUOTHK'AR [ARIGUAN SITH-LORD]
M/PRV 11 (50:5)-FB
M/SPT2 6 (4:3)-FB
{M/PRV 4}
M/PRV 11

MASTER OF THE SUN/RAGNAR
M/PRV 15 (16:2)-FB
M/PRV 4 (16:3-17:1)-VO
{M/PRV 4 (24-26)}
M/PRV 15 (16:3)-FB
M/PRV 4 (27:1-28:1)
M/PRV 4 (28:2-32:1)-OP ~ M/PRV 15 (16:4-16:5)-FB [M/PRV 15-FB (16:4-16:5) is for talking to the soon-to-be SHip; while M/PRV 4 (28:2-32:1)-OP is for giving Peter Quill a hallucination, and thus being actively involved but not on-panel. These two being simultaneous is required by the awkward ordering imposed here by M/SPT2 6.]
M/PRV 4 (32:2-32:3)
M/SPT2 6 (11:8-12:3)-FB
M/PRV 4 (32:4)
M/SPT2 6

JASON OF SPARTOI, EMPEROR
M/PRV 11-FB (48:3-49:3)
M/SPT2 6-FB (3:2)
M/PRV 11-FB (49:4-49:5)
M/SPT2 6-FB (3:3-3:4)
M/PRV 11-FB (49:6-50:4)
M/PRV 11

GARETH OF SPARTOI, PRINCE
M/PRV 11-FB (50:4-50:5)
M/PRV 11

SHAKATI, KYRAS
M/PRV 11-FB (50:5)
M/SPT2 6 (4:3)-FB
M/PRV 11

HÖLM, KIP
M/PRV 11 (4:4-4:6)-FB
M/PRV 11

HÖLM, SANDY
M/PRV 11

HÖLM, GUNNAR

HÖLM, MARIE

HÖLM, ALAIN

HÖLM, RHYS

HÖLM, ROBYN

QUILL, JAKE
M/PRV 4

HARRELSON, GREG
M/PRV 4

DIRAC
M/PRV 11

ARION
M/PRV 11

ARAK
M/PRV 11

TYKOS
M/PRV 11

TRINITY-THAT-IS-ONE
M/PRV 14

D'REEL, LORD-COMMANDER
M/PRV 14

CAINE, COMMANDER [HAALMHAD]
M/PRV 15

PANSHIN, DR. [HAALMHAD]
M/PRV 15

BAKU, PRESIDENT [CYMORIL]
M/PRV 15

STANCEK, MAJOR [HAALMHAD]
M/PRV 15

QUAN-ZARR
M/PRV 18

SYLVANA
M/PRV 18

"NOAH"
M/SS 10

ALETHA
M/SS 10

HUNTRESS (?)/SHEEN
M/SPT2 7

THORN
M/SPT2 7
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Star-Lord

Post by Leoparis »

Did you see the last Point One? The origin is revisited again.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Kyras Shakati, Arak, Arion and Dirac also turn up in X-Men #125 on Chandilar, attending Lilandra's state ball. If it wasn't for the Inhumans mini series that starred Jason of Spartoi, this might be put down to an in-joke, since it would seem they were present there after their demise in Marvel Preview #11, and besides, at the time of X-Men #125's publication, Star-Lord wasn't considered part of the Marvel Universe (pre-616 name) canon. However, since Inhumans (2000) #2-4 featured Kyras and Jason meeting the Inhumans several years later in MU time, there's no reason not to take the X-Men #125 appearances as canon.

At the end of Inhumans #4, Jason leaves Spartoi on the trip that will eventually see him father Peter Quill; since this was only a few years ago MU time, and we have an adult Star-Lord now, time travel appears to be on the cards; it seems likely that either Jason (and his pursuers) went back in time, enabling Peter to be born a few decades ago, or Peter travelled forward when he met Jason, Kyras and co.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

loki wrote:Kyras Shakati, Arak, Arion and Dirac also turn up in X-Men #125 on Chandilar, attending Lilandra's state ball. If it wasn't for the Inhumans mini series that starred Jason of Spartoi, this might be put down to an in-joke, since it would seem they were present there after their demise in Marvel Preview #11, and besides, at the time of X-Men #125's publication, Star-Lord wasn't considered part of the Marvel Universe (pre-616 name) canon. However, since Inhumans (2000) #2-4 featured Kyras and Jason meeting the Inhumans several years later in MU time, there's no reason not to take the X-Men #125 appearances as canon.

At the end of Inhumans #4, Jason leaves Spartoi on the trip that will eventually see him father Peter Quill; since this was only a few years ago MU time, and we have an adult Star-Lord now, time travel appears to be on the cards; it seems likely that either Jason (and his pursuers) went back in time, enabling Peter to be born a few decades ago, or Peter travelled forward when he met Jason, Kyras and co.
I never liked the “official” time travel explanation which attempted to account for how Jason could have fathered Peter back in 1960 and yet be younger during his appearance in the 2000 INHUMANS miniseries. For one thing, inserting time travel into a story of which it was not originally a part makes things messy. Also, in this case you can’t stop with just one instance of time trip (Jason’s trip back to 1960). You also have to add Jason’s return to his own time, and then the round-trip that the Ariguans took from their future time to 1973 and back. That’s at least four trips through time forced into Jason’s backstory.

A second reason why I dislike this idea is that it only explains (messily) one of the differences between the two Jasons. One version of Occam's razor states that “one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.” In this case, I interpreted this to mean that a single “umbrella” explanation which accounted for all of the differences would be preferable to a group of explanations that were needed to explain the multiple differences.

While trying to come up with a better explanation I made up this list of all the apparent differences between Jason #1 (the father of Peter Quill) and Jason #2 (the would-be lover of Medusa).
1. Homeworld: Jason #1 rules from Sparta while Jason #2 comes from Spartax. Yes, I know it’s a minor difference that might mean nothing but it could also be an indicator of a greater difference.
2. Age/Native time period: Jason #1 spent “years” exploring deep space before he crashed on Earth in 1960 while Jason #2 was considered “so young” by Medusa when they met on Kritnah in 2000. Based on this data, I’d estimate that Jason #1 was 25-30 years old in 1960, giving him a birth year of 1930-1935, and that Jason #2 was about 20-25 years old in 2000, giving him a birthdate in 1975-1980. Of course, thanks to Marvel Time, Jason #2 would have since aged 3 or 4 years, making him now 23-29 years old and shifting his year of birth to 1984-1990.
3. Reason for being in space: Jason #1 hated court life and loved to explore. Jason #2 was banished to wander among the stars by his father.
4. Reason for coming to Earth: Jason #1 was travelling home when an accident forced him to land on the nearest viable planet which happened to be Earth. Jason #2 came to Earth during his search for a woman with long red hair (Medusa) and/or for proof of his innocence.
5. Transportation: Jason #1 was travelling in his scoutship which appeared to be of conventional Imperial design. Jason #2 was travelling with(in) his sentient Soulship.
6. Companion: Jason #1 was accompanied by a humanoid cat who died in the crash. Jason #2 was with his Soulship who somehow “effectively died” on Earth.
7. Clothing: Jason #1 and his companion were both wearing (space) armor. Jason #2 was shown wearing his Spartoi uniform including a helmet and cape.
8. First contact with his son: Jason #1 was aware (via his bio-comps) that Meredith was pregnant with his son but left very early in her pregnancy. Jason #2 was shown standing beside the woman he loved as she held a bundle (their baby?) in her arms.

After considering all these differences, I came to the conclusion that the idea that these two Jasons “was” a single person at two different points in his life was not a suitable explanation. As a result, I began to think about the possibility that the Jason who existed in the 21st Century and Jason who had fathered Peter in the past might actually be two separate people. My first theory was that, despite having the same name, the two Jasons had no actual connection but that would require the existence of two separate interstellar empires based on homeworlds with almost-identical names, both of which were controlled by identical-to-Caucasian-humans and with rulers/heirs named Jason. I found that this explanation depended upon such a high level of coincidental similarities that made it implausible.

Having rejected the possibilities of the two Jasons being from different times or regions of space, I turned my attention to the officially-discarded “easy explanation” that Star-Lord had actually originated on an alternate Earth and that the two Jasons were thus actually other-dimensional counterparts of each other. After a bit of thought, I was surprised to realize how effective an explanation this proved to be. Not only did it account for all the differences between the two Jasons but it would also be easy to incorporate into Star-Lord’s already-existing history, with all the events in that history (from Jason’s arrival on Earth in 1960 to Peter Quill’s transformation into the Star-Lord in 1990) remaining the same except for the fact that they took place on an alternate Earth (which I’m calling Earth-761) instead of Earth-616. There would have been no need to mess up the origin story by inserting time travel into it. All some writer would have to do was come up with a story which revealed that, at some point during his career, Star-Lord and Ship had somehow travelled from their original reality to the “mainstream” reality. Depending on whatever *event* caused their journey, Star-Lord and Ship might not even have realized what had happened and they could still have believed that they were still in their home reality. This would make possible a storyline in which they eventually discovered what had occurred.

Another benefit of this “alternate Earth origin” is that Peter’s interdimensional voyage could have occurred at any time after he became Star-Lord. As a result, a writer could choose to place that journey at any point in Peter’s timeline. After all, whatever caused Peter’s relocation was probably significant enough to have caused their native reality to diverge into two timelines, depending on whether or not Star-Lord and Ship were thrown between realities. On Earth-761, Star-Lord and Ship encountered *something* but managed to avoid it and continue on with the rest of their (published) adventures but in Reality-761A Star-Lord and Ship were unable to prevent their extra-dimensional exile and, to the inhabitants of that reality, they simply vanished…only to reappear in Earth-616’s reality.

The only thing left to explain would be the age difference between Jason of Sparta-761 and Jason of Spartax-616, and that’s easily handled. One possibility would be that Emperor Eson-616 felt no need to sire an heir as quickly as possible and so he put off doing so for 50 years longer than Eson-761 did. Another possibility is that, despite their identical names, the two Jasons are not the counterparts but Emperor Jason-761 and Emperor Eson-616 were. The two realities could have started to diverge before Jason/Eson’s birth, resulting in them being given different names in their home realities, and then diverged further later in their life. Maybe, in 1960, both counterparts were summoned home by their father but in Reality-761 Jason’s scoutship suffered a malfunction which forced him to land on Earth while in Reality-616 Eson’s journey home was uneventful.

I quite like this theory and really wish that I had sent it in to Marvel as a suggestion at a time when the second GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY series was still being published. However, this theory now has no relevance because . . .
Leoparis wrote:Did you see the last Point One? The origin is revisited again.
Based on the story in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #0.1, I have noticed the following differences between the “old” and “new” origins:
1. Year of Meredith's close encounter: 1960 => "30 years ago" (currently, that would be 1983)
2. Crash site: In the woods of the Colorado Mountains => In Meredith's front yard
3. Peter's father's name: Jason of Sparta => J'son of Spartax
4. Year of Meredith’s death: 1973 => “20 years ago” (currently, that would be 1993)
5. Meredith remembers that Peter’s father is an alien: No => Yes
6. Seating capacity of Peter’s father’s starship: Two => One
7. Location of the Quill home: A cabin in the Colorado Mountains => A two-story house in Colorado (but it was Wisconsin in the story in Marvel NOW! Point One)
8. Location of Meredith’s murder: In the woods => On her own front porch
9. Alien assassins: Ariguans (reptilians with tails) => Badoon (reptilians without tails)
10. Fate of aliens who killed Meredith: Returned to space => Killed by Peter Quill
11. Peter's age when Meredith died: 11 => 9 (but Bendis says he was a "10-year-old boy")
12. Peter learns that his father was an alien: When he met him after becoming Star-Lord => Possibly after finding his father’s alien weapon

However, in this case I actually feel that the dark storm of DIS-continuity that Brian Michael Bendis is bringing with him actually might have a silver lining that will be beneficial to those readers who care about continuity. Since his “retconned” origin for Star-Lord really butchers that “time travel” explanation, Bendis has essentially wiped the slate clean, thereby allowing a new origin to be created in the aftermath. And, inadvertently, BMB has made it possible for new explanations to be considered regarding the Star-Lord from MARVEL PREVIEW. The one that springs immediately to mind is that the “classic” Star-Lord exists, and has ALWAYS existed, in an alternate reality whereas the “modern” Star-Lord is the one from Earth-616 who first appeared in the pages of THANOS.

This idea that there are two versions of Star-Lord certainly does have its merits. For one thing, Bendis would then be free to ignore any Star-Lord story published prior to 2004. Admittedly, BMB would probably have done that anyway but it’s nice that his doing so would now make sense from a continuity standpoint. BMB will now be able to create his own origin for Star-Lord, unencumbered by any need to make it fit with what has come before. We can only hope that he will see fit to acknowledge those adventures of the Earth-616 Star-Lord that appeared in THANOS and ANNIHILATION and ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST and the second GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY series.

And now, here is a list of the 3 elements that Bendis must (should?) include in his new origin for Star-Lord:
1. Peter Jason Quill was transformed into Star-Lord by a being known as the Master of the Sun. Said being does NOT have to be an Ariguan scientist who disguised himself as a bearded old Caucasian male human.
2. Peter Quill’s partner as Star-Lord was Ship, a sentient starship who died during their last mission together while defeating the Fallen One.
3. Star-Lord turned himself over to the Nova Corps and was sentenced to the Kyln prison because he and Ship had killed 350,000 people in order to use their life energies to defeat the Fallen One and prevent him from killing millions of people (including those 350,000).

If whatever origin story Bendis writes contains these 3 elements, then I will be (reasonably) content with its continuity. If not, then it’s another Bendis mess (like SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN).

One thing that does concern me about the new backstory is how Bendis is planning to explain the appearance of “Prince Jason” in INHUMANS and the fact that Jason was wandering the stars with his Soulship during at least part of the time that Peter (as Star-Lord) was partnered with Ship. Of course, based on his history, he could just ignore it altogether.

Finally, using what little we know about the “new” backstory for Star-Lord, here’s a preliminary timeline for Peter Quill of Earth-616:
1983 (“30 years ago”) – In Colorado, Meredith Quill meets a crashed Spartoi space pilot named J’son of Spartax. After sharing a romance (and sex) with Meredith, he leaves in his repaired ship. Minutes after he lifts off, Meredith realizes that she is pregnant.
c. 1984 – Meredith gives birth to a son whom she names Peter Quill (Note: His middle name MAY be Jason).
1993 (“20 years ago”) – Meredith Quill is killed on her front porch by reptilian (but tailless) aliens. Peter escapes unharmed after killing the two assassins with a shot gun blast. The alien ship destroys the Quill house.

About 3 or 4 years ago (real world year 2000) – Prince Jason of Spartax is exiled by his father, Emperor Eson, and begins to wander the star with his sentient starship, Ship.

By 2 or 3 years ago (real world year 2004) – Peter Quill (the ex-Star-Lord) is imprisoned in the Kyln interstellar prison as punishment for the massive collateral damage (350,000 dead) which occurred when he and Ship subdued the Fallen One, an insane former Herald of Galactus. Ship was destroyed and Quill gave up using the name “Star-Lord.”

Comments?

Don Campbell