Mighty Avengers in New Avengers # 28

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Mighty Avengers in New Avengers # 28

Post by intp »

My apologies if this has already been dealt with elsewhere, but I have a question about the Mighty Avengers appearance in New Avengers # 28. The chronology project lists Iron Man's appearance there as occurring before the Mole Man attack in Mighty Avengers # 1. However, the Mole Man storyline, immediately segueing into the Ultron attack, in Mighty Avengers # 1-6 seem to form a continuous storyline that supposedly takes place mere minutes after the team is put together for the first time, and at the end, the Jessica Drew-Skrull presents the Elektra-Skrull to Tony Stark. This would seem to preclude the opportunity for the new team to appear in New Avengers # 28 and try to trap the other team. Was this just a continuity error by Bendis, or am I missing something here?
intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Mighty Avengers in New Avengers # 28

Post by intp »

Just to expand slightly: In Mighty Avengers # 1-2, in a series of flashbacks, Iron Man forms the new team (consisting of Carol Danvers, Wasp, Ares, Black Widow- Romanoff, and Wonder Man). Apparently his last recruit is Janet Van Dyne, "14 minutes before Mole Man attack" (Mighty Avengers # 2, pg. 23). In Mighty Avengers # 1, on the first page, just as the Mighty Avengers enter the battle with the Mole Man, Jan asks Carol, "we've been a team now for how long?"; Carol says "14 minutes". During the course of the battle, Iron Man's armor is attacked by some sort of Ultron virus or whatnot. Tony Stark doesn't recover until Mighty Avengers # 6, and while he's still in a hospital bed, Jessica Drew (Skrull) shows up with the Elektra Skrull corpse.

However, in New Avengers # 28, in a flashback, the New Avengers (Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Clint Barton, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Spider-Woman (Skrull) and Wolverine) are trying to retrieve Captain America (they think, but it's a decoy) from SHIELD, when they are confronted by the fully assembled Mighty Avengers team, which they briefly fight. However, this incident occurred a day before the New Avengers went to Tokyo to retrieve Maya Lopez (Echo), who is the one who killed the Elektra-Skrull.

So it doesn't seem possible that the Mighty Avengers' appearance in New Avengers # 28 (flashback) or the continuing flashbacks in # 29-30 could have happened as written, unless one assumes a continuity error by Bendis (i.e., the fight with the Mole Man didn't literally occur 14 minutes after the Mighty Avengers formed, but rather, a fair amount of time later, after the events in the flashbacks in New Avengers # 28-30 occurred).

I just wanted to verify if my reading is correct. I apologize if this has already been hashed out elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on a quick search.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mighty Avengers in New Avengers # 28

Post by Col_Fury »

intp wrote:the fight with the Mole Man didn't literally occur 14 minutes after the Mighty Avengers formed, but rather, a fair amount of time later, after the events in the flashbacks in New Avengers # 28-30 occurred
This is it exactly. There's no way only 14 minutes passed between the two events.
-Daron Jensen