Death & Eon in Captain Marvel

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Death & Eon in Captain Marvel

Post by intp »

I was re-reading Captain Marvel Masterworks v.3 and I was curious as to whether CM 26 featured Death's first appearance, so I took a quick look at the current chronology project. The current project omits CM 26 for Death, and instead lists CM 27 as Death's first appearance. However, the hooded figure with glowing eyes was initially seen in CM 26, pg. 15 and 18-20, standing next to Thanos. Thanos and Death next appear in CM 27, after Thanos has teleported them to Titan.

Unless I'm missing something, I think CM 26 should be added as Death's first appearance.

Edit: I just read a bit further in the CM Masterworks volume, and it looks like CM 28 features Eon's first appearance. In the current project, Eon's appearance in CM 28 is omitted and his first appearance is noted as CM 29. Odd that two such similar errors should occur (assuming that they are errors and I haven't missed something).
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Death & Eon in Captain Marvel

Post by Somebody »

Death's entry is also missing DRSTR2 1, DRSTR2 2-BTS, DRSTR2 3(-BTS?) and DRSTR2 4. Which makes wonder exactly how spotty it is overall. [The framing sequence for DRSTR2 3 isn't in the chronology for Strange himself either. Not quite sure whether to count Death as BTS or not - does the "symbol of Death" count as an appearance or not?]
intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by intp »

I am moderately confident that these are the first appearances for these characters, since Starlin created Thanos in IM 55, who then appeared in the extended storyline in CM 25-33, and Death did not appear in IM 55 or CM 25, but is first seen in CM 26 (pg. 15-18), unnamed. She is first referred to as "Death" in CM 28 on pg. 9, when Thanos (and Death) confront Drax for the Cosmic Cube on Earth.

Similarly, Starlin created Eon (I think) who appears for the first time in CM 28-- pg. 3, in a vision that Mar-Vell sees, and on the last page, where he confronts Mar-Vell directly, before granting him additional powers in CM 29.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

intp wrote:I am moderately confident that these are the first appearances for these characters, since Starlin created Thanos in IM 55, who then appeared in the extended storyline in CM 25-33, and Death did not appear in IM 55 or CM 25, but is first seen in CM 26 (pg. 15-18), unnamed. She is first referred to as "Death" in CM 28 on pg. 9, when Thanos (and Death) confront Drax for the Cosmic Cube on Earth.
But it's just, y'know, Death incarnated. I'm willing to bet that if you went through every pre-CM 28 Marvel comic, you'd find more than one appearance by "Death", particularly in the monster-heavy "Atom Age" comics.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Death got an updated Handbook entry in the recent "Thanos: Redemption" TPB that covered her Atlas Era appearances in greater detail.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

JephYork wrote:Death got an updated Handbook entry in the recent "Thanos: Redemption" TPB that covered her Atlas Era appearances in greater detail.
Well, there you go.

[Care to do a chronology, Director York? ;)]
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

[Nope!]