THE MCP NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

THE MCP NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Post by Col_Fury »

We’re in the process of cleaning up the MCP’s listings, but it’s a big project and we need your help to finish it off.

Sometimes, a story or flashback happens between pages of a comic. When that happens it should look like this in our chronology listings:

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER

KOP2 6
ASM 256 (1 - 14)
VSS 1/2-FB
ASM 256 (15 - 22)
ASM 257

Unfortunately, we haven’t always been doing this, so we have some older entries that look like this:

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER

PPTSS 105
PPTSS 106
COH 4
PPTSS 106
SWII 2

Or, there are multiple flashbacks in an issue that should look like this:

LIZARD/DR. CURTIS CONNORS

ASM 313-FB
PPTSS 238 (6:5)-FB
{ASM 6 (10:2 - 11:1)-FB}
PPTSS 238 (7)-FB
ASM 6 (11:2 -11:5)-FB
ASM 6

But sometimes, they look like this:

LIZARD/DR. CURTIS CONNORS

ASM 166
PPTSS 33-FB
M/TU 66-BTS
M/TU 68-BTS
ASM 173-BTS
PPTSS 33-FB
PPTSS 32-FB

What we need is a quick description of where the break in the comic is and why the other story (or flashback) fits there. You might come across errors in the chronologies, where there shouldn’t be a split in the comic at all. Good! Point this out, because we want to clean these up as well.

As you’re poking around the chronologies you may come across time travel/time displacement stories. An example of this is the Fantastic Four Wedding Special; Reed and Sue appear over several points in their lives in this one issue, so it’s listed at several different points in their chronologies. These have been left off the list, but if you find a time travel story on this list, point it out and we’ll remove it.

The format is (page:panel) So page 3, panel 2 would look like (3:2) Page 3, panel 2 through page 6, panel 5 would look like (3:2 - 6:5)

Here’s an example of what we’re looking for.

Feel free to use the search function to make sure you're covering every character affected in the issue you're looking at.

Start a new topic for each comic and we'll cross it off the list. When it’s settled (because in some cases a discussion will be started, I’m sure) we’ll lock the topic. When the MCP is updated the comic will be removed from this list. Since we’re already doing this for new comics that are added to the MCP, this list will only shrink. Eventually, this project will be finished! :)

With that out of the way, here’s the list of comics that currently have splits in them for at least one character:

Sorry, there's no more left!

Have at it, folks!
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: THE MCP NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:ACADEMY X #9-FB
CAPTAIN MARVEL v5 #31-FB
FURTHER ADVENTURES OF CYCLOPS & PHOENIX #4
NEW MUTANTS v2 #11-FB
QUASAR #1-FB, 5, 12-FB, 26, (27 now Fury), 34, (38, 39, 40 now Fury)
SON OF M #6
X-FACTOR #38-FB, 47-FB, 65
I'll take these for now (although I might need a hand with the Wolfsbane parts of NM2 11 - I'm pretty sure there are some additional bits that need placed for her sections).
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Daron, I assume we want the page/panel ranges to reflect where the actual breaks are, not the first and last panel appearance by each individual character. So if the break comes between pages 8 and 9 and the character whose chronology we're covering makes his final on-panel appearance on 7:2 before 11:4, it should read:

PURPLE GOPHER 1 (1-8)
BUZZ CUT 49
PURPLE GOPHER 1 (9-20)

not

PURPLE GOPHER 1 (1:1-7:2)
BUZZ CUT 49
PURPLE GOPHER 1 (11:4-20:5)

We won't want a whole bunch of individualized page/panel ranges to glut the listing for any individual comic. Yes?
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

You're talking about things like Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade, aren't you? :wink:

Sure, it'd be nice if things were cleaner, but sometimes a messy chronology is unavoidable for these big crossover books.

But basically, I think you have the right idea. If a scene ends on page 8, but say, Moon Knight only appears through page 7, panel 2, I'd list the break at page 8 as you say.
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

-Daron Jensen
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

What about the shared scene in ASM 279 and PPTSS 118? The one where Sable receives exploding flowers from the Foreigner? (I'd do it myself but I've misplaced my copy of ASM 279 at the moment.)
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Michael wrote:What about the shared scene in ASM 279 and PPTSS 118? The one where Sable receives exploding flowers from the Foreigner? (I'd do it myself but I've misplaced my copy of ASM 279 at the moment.)
Hm. The search tells me that Joy Mercado is in a shared scene in ASM 279, PPTSS 117 and WOSM 17, but doesn't say anything about Silver Sable being in a shared scene in ASM 279 ans PTSS 118. I'll have to look into that (unless someone beats me to it, that is).

And, CA:SL2 6/3-FB, GR3 41, IM3 19-FB, IM3 20-FB, IM3 21/2-FB, IM3 47-FB, PUN@ 2/3-FB, PUN@ 3/2-FB, SoV 16-FB & WARM2 1-FB!
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:NEW MUTANTS: TRUTH OR DEATH #1, 2, 3
Isn't this a time-travel series, where the early NMs come to the then-present? Looking at the search, there doesn't seem to be chronological splits *within* either group of characters, which suggests it *is* just the time-travel at work.

[We need some sort of notation for these situations...]
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Col_Fury wrote:As you’re poking around the chronologies you may come across time travel/time displacement stories. An example of this is the Fantastic Four Wedding Special; Reed and Sue appear over several points in their lives in this one issue, so it’s listed at several different points in their chronologies. These have been left off the list, but if you find a time travel story on this list, point it out and we’ll remove it.
Somebody wrote:
Col_Fury wrote:NEW MUTANTS: TRUTH OR DEATH #1, 2, 3
Isn't this a time-travel series, where the early NMs come to the then-present? Looking at the search, there doesn't seem to be chronological splits *within* either group of characters, which suggests it *is* just the time-travel at work.
I don't know; I haven't read the series since it came out. Can someone check the series and make sure the earlier placements aren't supposed to be flashbacks?
Somebody wrote:[We need some sort of notation for these situations...]
If we figure something out, maybe that could be the next project?
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Col_Fury wrote:
Somebody wrote:We need some sort of notation for these situations...
We don't need anything for time travel stories, per se. The confusion here arises from a current-day time-traveling character appearing in a book with a past version of themselves, or a time-traveling character from the past meeting a current version of themselves.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

GCD confirms it's a time-travel mini, past NMs to the (then) present:
http://www.comics.org/issue/60977/
http://www.comics.org/issue/61088/
http://www.comics.org/issue/61290/
Russ Chappell wrote:
Col_Fury wrote:
Somebody wrote:We need some sort of notation for these situations...
We don't need anything for time travel stories, per se. The confusion here arises from a current-day time-traveling character appearing in a book with a past version of themselves, or a time-traveling character from the past meeting a current version of themselves.
Well, yeah. I can't speak for Fury, but that was what I meant by "these situations" - cases where a character appears multiple times in the same book, but we can't disambiguate by page-range as we're doing now because they're co-existing in the same time on the same panels (not necessarily *met* - Quicksilver in SILWAR 3 *watches* his future self, but only *meets* the present Madrox & Layla).

Even something like "XYZ 1; a"/"XYZ 1; b" would do.