X-Statix 6

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

X-Statix 6

Post by Leoparis »

The flashback is a news flash on TV. As it takes place between his other appereances, it isn't really necessary to list it.

BAD GUY
XSTATIX 6 (12)
XSTATIX 6-FB (14-15)
XSTATIX 6 (18-22)
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: X-Statix 6

Post by Russ Chappell »

I don't understand. Why wouldn't we list it?

It takes place between other appearances? That sounds like a perfect reason for listing it.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Simply because it's not "other appearances". It's just the pages before and after of the very same issue.

This series continually shifts from scenes to footage. The footage isn't flashback because it takes place at the very spot where it appears.
By definition a flashback occurs some time before the previous scene. Most of the time, these panels aren't different from other panels. We only infer it's footage from people reacting to a screen in a later panel.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Leoparis wrote:Simply because it's not "other appearances". It's just the pages before and after of the very same issue.
You're putting quotes around your own words.

Quoting you here:
As it takes place between his other appereances, it isn't really necessary to list it.
As I'm understanding you now, your contention is that XSTATIX 6 (14 - 15) is not a flashback, right? Cause that's different from what you said originally. In your first post, you simply said that "it" ( which I took to mean the flashback) occurs between pages, and therefore doesn't need to be listed. And that's the line of reasoning I was questioning.

When you say this:
The footage isn't flashback because it takes place at the very spot where it appears
are you saying that "the footage takes place at the spot where it appears, and therefore, it can't be a flashback"? If so, I...disagree.
By definition a flashback occurs some time before the previous scene.
That's...nowhere in the definition of a flashback. Whether or not a particular scene is a flashback has no relevance to the scene before it.

If I'm understanding you correctly, let's talk about pages 14-15. This news flash on TV--is it showing events live, as they are occurring at that moment, or is it showing events that occurred at some point prior to the broadcast?

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Here's a dictionary definition of a flashback:
A flashback is a transition in a story to an earlier time, that interrupts the normal chronological order of events.

As you can see from the listing, the normal chronological order of events isn't interrupted. Bad Guy appears on page 12. His next chronological appearance is on pages 14-15 and the next chronological appearance from that is on pages 18-22.
By "other appearances" you can substitute "other scenes" if that clarifies for you. A scene always takes place between other scenes; if they occur in chronological sequence, none is a flashback per the definition.

It's like a chapter is told in the present tense, then the next one is told in the preterit tense then the next one is told in the present tense again. As long as the middle chapter occurs chronologically between the first and third, the narrative device used to tell it (preterit) doesn't make it a flashback.
Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Chris McCarver »

I understand your logic on this, Leoparis, the thing is, while the news report does occur after Bad Guy's earlier appearances in that issue and before his later appearances, that doesn't negate the scene as being a flashback, purely on the basis that we're watching pre-recorded footage of an event taking place prior to what would be considered "present time" in the context of the story.

The news anchor is reporting on Bad Guy's attack on Paramount Studios as an event that previously happened. If he was reporting the events live as they were occurring, that would negate the news footage as being a flashback.

A flashback can occur within the chronological sequence of a single character and still be considered a flashback. For example, let's say in an issue of Wolverine, we see a two-page sequence of Wolverine going into a convenience store. We flip further in the book, and we see someone is looking at security camera footage of Wolverine shopping for snacks, hours after that event occurred. We flip even further in the book, and we see Wolverine in the Jean Grey School faculty lounge, munching on a bag of pork rinds he got at the convenience store. The security-cam tape is still going to be considered a flashback even if it takes place after we see Wolverine go into the store and before we see him back at the school.

This scene may not interrupt the normal chronological order of events as far as Bad Guy is concerned, but it does interrupt the order of events as far as the overall story is concerned.
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Leoparis wrote:Here's a dictionary definition of a flashback:
A flashback is a transition in a story to an earlier time, that interrupts the normal chronological order of events.
That's a pretty good description of the events in XSTATIX 6, and not at all like "occurs some time before the previous scene." I only need to see that it occurs before the current scene (which is the news anchor reading a news bulletin).

Look at this way: Let's say that Morry Morinson (the news anchor) was actually at the movie studio during Bad Guy's attack, and appeared on camera, standing next to Bad Guy. You could pencil him in, next to the Hannibal Lecter actor. Would you then contend that this scene is a flashback for Morinson, but not a flashback for Bad Guy?